Truth be told - Apple SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:36 AM
I'm a laptop technician and work on Apple's and PC. I think the form factor is both the best and worst thing about the Apple laptops. It's the best because their laptops are indestructible. We had one come in that a guy had in his backpack while he was carrying his child who was having an asthma attack. He slipped on the ice and both he and the child fell back onto his backpack. The corner of the laptop with the optical drive was bent, but the damn thing worked fine! No damage to the LCD. The only problem was the guy had a Netflix DVD in the drive for the kid to watch in the hospital and we had to figure out how to get it out with the slot being bent in a crescent shape. All of our most "abusive" users are Mac people and it's amazing what these computers survive.

But when it comes to servicing or upgrading them....most of the time I just turn people away and tell them to go to the Apple store, I just don't have the patience! The newer models are much better. It used to be a several hour process to upgrade something that takes me 30 seconds on most PC laptops.

I personally use a PC laptop for price and ease as far as replacing/upgrading components. When I'm a "power user" I use my Mac or enhanced PC at work. At home, I just don't need the indestructible form factor because I no longer take my laptop with me every day and use it as a guinea pig for testing other parts so I need to be able to pull it apart in minutes.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
Lost in these arguments is the true reliability of Macs--their Operating System. I don't have any experience with Windows 7, but Apple beats the shit out of PCs in functional reliability and utility (not talking to you Linux folks though).

You generally get what you pay for, and I'm happy to have spent $20K+ on Macs over the last 10 years.
Corporate buyers have largely shunned the Mac though - their share of the business market is tiny. The iPhone, on the other hand, has captured 30% of the business market in its niche.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
One bad thread about one person's laptop is going to make up your mind for you?
Dell Studio 15 Problems.....? - Yahoo! Answers
The posts on that page were posted a YEAR ago....

Dell has a pretty good track record. I'm using the same Desktop with XP for 6 years now and still runs great.

It's not just one person, its my bank account too. Plus i prefer to be able to customize the ram and drives, you can't do that with mac's.

And PC's are more handicapped accessible IMO(i'm physically disabled an use one hand to type), I use keyboard for everything more than the mouse.

As for regular macs, the mouse that comes with the system sucks too, the regular Microsoft wheel mouse is way easier to use!
Old 12-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseu2 View Post
You tell em, Jesse

Apple has a big problem with their drives

Here are dozens of threads about Apple drives and hundreds and hundreds of Apple customers with the same problem

I read a few dozen pages last night and realized, I was not just unlucky and got a lemon.

Apple - Support - Discussions - Drive won't read any dvd-ejects it ...

38 pages there ^

Apple - Support - Discussions - Optical Drive and your MacBook Pro

many more threads there ^

and those are only the ones that the Apple people ( mods ) have not been able to keep deleted because of the avalanche of unhappy customers

Quote:
The SuperDrive on my MBP has stopped recognizing/reading any blank DVD media (and many recorded DVDs, including movie discs). It spins for some time with a noise and then ejects it out. The same media works fine in my wife's Sony Vaio laptop.
There was a thread on this previously, but Apple has closed it:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Drive won't read any dvd .. ejects it ...

I know Apple won't own up to the problem, so has anyone found a solution?
Quote:
I just noticed the same problem with my MacBook Pro tonight. Help on this 'Apple Guys' would be nice.

Drive Details:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-875:

Firmware Revision: DA09
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

Quote:
Me too!

Even the original DVDs from Apple (Leopard, iWorks08 iLife08) which have only been used once, are ejected automatically!
Quote:
Ya same thing here. I was reading on another post about a similar issue and they said to start up your laptop with the original Mac OS X disc to fix the issue, but mine was ejected after spinning for a few seconds. Can Someone from Apple please post to this thread and Help Us address this issue. I have used a Mac since 1994, but lately nothing but problems. My iPod Touch broke after 7 months and even though apple said it had a 1 year war. they would not fix it. Now my BRAND NEW laptop is having issues. I called the 1-800 number and they would not talk to me unless I paid them, and my laptop is not even 6 months old!!!! I was even supposed to get a free iPod touch with my laptop, which I did not, and they wont even help me with that! Im starting to think I should sell this thing and go buy an HP.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #20
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:36 AM
so if i googled every other laptop brand i wouldn't find "hundreds and hundreds" of customers with complaints? please.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

I've used Apple products for longer than I can remember, and have experienced little trouble.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:36 AM
Quote:
I have been waiting for a post like this. I agree Apple products are overpriced!! $2500 for a macbook that won't read DVD's? holy cow... I could get a Dell Studio 15 laptop for $1000 with 1080p HD screen (that will read dvds and bluray) thru my dads employee purchase discount program. I was thinking about a macbook but i don't want one now after seeing this thread. No thank you!!
Are U2 people Mac People?
Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:36 AM
For my money, Apple product has been worth every penny.
I have several things from them and the ease of use and productivity I get from them validates the extra cost.
I've done my share of experimenting with Dell, HP, Sony, etc and none of them can deliver the type of efficiency that Apple delivers.

As far as warranties, I did not buy any of them for these products....but if they malfunction or break down, i'll pay for them to get them serviced.
Some one once complained that "luxury" products should not break and should last longer. Sometimes they do, but even Lexus cars require service.

btw, Alum MacBook; best product I have EVER purchased.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

my warranty has already paid for itself, fyi. i've now got another two years with my macbook covered and anything else that gets fixed from here is simply a bonus (if you will) for me.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:36 AM
I will agree on one thing; for the most part employees at Apple stores are horrible.
It's like they are in a clique/click/cleeq/clieq
Old 12-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
I will agree on one thing; for the most part employees at Apple stores are horrible.
oh, definitely. when i had to get my repair done i went straight to the technician (found on the apple website, research ftw!) and they couldn't have been better to deal with.

if i'd taken the time to go to an apple store i'd have got attitude and had to wait for someone forever. the apple store employees (usually, not always) seem to represent the douche section of apple owners.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #27
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
oh, totally. it seems whenever i do need help (which is basically when i decide i want to buy something, lol) i can't find anyone, yet when i'm just browsing at ipod cases it's "can i help you?" x500.

of course it probably doesn't help that i shoot "leave me the fuck alone!" laser beams from my eyes when i say i'm "just looking."
Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
And Deep bought his Macbook 2 years ago

In all seriousness though, I dont really care what sort of computer people want to buy. If you prefer PC, go for it. I'm a Mac user, but I'm a little biased as its pretty much standard in my industry. I couldn't be happier with it though
Old 12-16-2009, 01:11 AM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 12:36 AM
Bought my first MacBook in 2006. Not impressed. Went buggy (keyboard occasionally not responding, battery had to be replaced) and would freeze up more often than any computer I ever owned. The HD crashed last summer and had to be replaced.

Thus, my first impressions of the Mac were not good. What really got to me was how people would talk like Macs were God's gift to computers, when in reality they're are just another machine that runs slightly better than their competitors at much higher prices. The Apple culture is nauseating enough without the fact that the machine doesn't back up its claims.

However ... as a graphic artist and a amateur photographer, I've loved how well my Mac handles media. It's so much smoother than my Dell (with the same processor and RAM) ever was. Despite how unimpressed I am with machine overall, I might just make the switch to a full-time Mac person on this fact alone. Just makes my production a lot easier.

And I have to say that in the two times I've visited an Apple store (once for a broken iPod and once for my crashed HD), I could not have had better service. They were friendly, knowledgeable, and even gave replaced my products for free or for a cheap price when they didn't have to and weren't under warranty.

All that to say: Macs aren't what they're cracked up to be, but for some specific needs (artistic, mainly) they're pretty swell. And the customer service is superb.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:21 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
And Deep bought his Macbook 2 years ago
I own and use 3 different computers

the Macbook does not have that many miles on it.

Tags
apple, mac, macs