Thoughts on Internet Explorer 7?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:
Just installed the latest IE ver. 7 and it appears to have undergone a major design change. Tabbed browsing available now to compete with Mozilla. :p I have to admit the New Tab shortcut button is pretty cool. But the Interference pages look faded or something on the new IE :no: as compared with Mozilla Firefox.

Thoughts?

It's a piece of shit. I want to karate chop the person that thought it was a good idea to make a new one and try to be like Mozilla. My computer has gone schizo by downloading IE and I just bought it two weeks ago! :angry:

Last edited:
I have and love Firefox. But there was a game that was downloaded that needed IE 7 for some reason so we ended up getting that. :angry:

I uninstalled it though. Hopefully I got it out of my computer.

I don't think it is as bad as some of you guys make it out to be. :wink: The text does look kinda blurry like Sicy says but I like the font style better. And I love the way the tabs look and the New Tab button. It has a better look and feel than Firefox but some of the features seem hidden and out of sight. Guess it needs getting used to.

Zootlesque said:
I don't think it is as bad as some of you guys make it out to be. :wink: The text does look kinda blurry like Sicy says but I like the font style better. And I love the way the tabs look and the New Tab button. It has a better look and feel than Firefox but some of the features seem hidden and out of sight. Guess it needs getting used to.
Indeed, it is a vast improvement upon IE6. As someone who dabbles in web design, the problem for me is that not only do I have to make sure pages display correctly on IE7, but IE6, and Firefox as well. IE6 is a real piece of shit as far as following standards when rendering web pages.

Unfortunately there are still some things I have to use IE for. For some reason I always have 'missing plug ins' with Firefox :angry:

Sicy said:
Unfortunately there are still some things I have to use IE for. For some reason I always have 'missing plug ins' with Firefox :angry:

Me too. I use it for two things: 1) sometimes when I try to access my online banking, FireFox freezes logging in and 2) our iManager system which controls all of our Novell printing queues looks better in IE. It works in FireFox, but instead of fields with drop-down menus, it displays everything in long lists :huh:

The novelty has faded

I'm using my 20,000th post to go back to singing praises of Mozilla Firefox. Sure, IE7 looked sleek and attractive initially. But it doesn't seem as customizable and convenient as Firefox. I've just been exploring the toolbar options in Firefox and there seems to be so much you can do. There IS a "new tab" button that you can put there, which I didn't know about till now. :reject: The buttons can be made big or small, with text included if needed. There's extensions, themes etc. etc. So yeah... :dancing:

What font do you guys have it set to? I hate the new font. Everything looks like I'm reading a term paper :sad:.

I also think the writing looks kind of blurry.

edited to add: I think I fixed the font problem by turning off the "clear type" option.

Last edited:
I use IE6, and I feel like I'm missing out now not having FireFox. I've never tried it.

I was downloading the new version of Windows Media Player today (which is amazing :drool: ) and Microsoft almost tricked me into downloading IE7 :yikes: I like IE, I like it because it does what I need it to and doesn't try to do anything more. I like it because I'm used to it. I mainly go to the same handful of sites everyday, and IE works perfectly for those sites. I have no desire for tabs (in fact, my Yahoo Companion toolbar has a tabs feature, which I keep turned off, because I don't want them).
My brother installed IE7 on his computer, and the very few times I've used his computer since then have left me wanting to tear my hair out. I'm sure Microsoft had good intentions, but they completely destroyed the top of the window, everything's either moved or gone. It might "look" good, but I can't possibly see it being easy to use without having to completely retrain yourself.
I'm just glad I was able to see for myself how horrible it was before I was able to go and download it for myself. I don't plan on downloading it at all. I'll stick with IE6 :up:

You should switch to Mozilla. I hate even looking at IE 7. I used my dad's computer yesterday and got so frustrated in the 9.3 seconds I was online that I just downloaded Firefox anyway. I never use that computer but I neeeeeeeeeded to do it.
Just like the moment I got my hands on that computer I switched to clear type. :hyper:
No one ever notices and it makes such a difference. :drool:

Thank you, Barbs.

Back
Top Bottom