The wonderful world of monitors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~BrightestStar~

Blue Crack Supplier
Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikea
So, I still have a well loved but ancient CRT monitor, all huge, bulky, and wonderful. Really, as sarcastic as that sounds, it has treated me well. In any case, while there is no immediate need, I have been shopping around and looking to get something shiny and new.

I'm on the computer a lot (as are we all, eh? heh) so I don't want to go cheap, but I'd also rather not bust my budget. I am also not a fan of monitors with a glossy finish, as with the window behind me, the glare will be atrocious.
Finally, my parents also use the computer, and don't have the best eyes anymore, so squinting at teeny tiny text isn't desirable - altho I think that can be adjusted?
Oh, and I get headaches from some LED monitors I've been on, I hear higher contrast helps with that? On this monitor, when I'm using Word and such, I usually set the contrast and brightness down quite a bit.

Anyways, I'm just looking for people's thoughts, opinions, reviews, angry rants, etc.

Thanks in advance!

I'm on computers all day for work and then in the evening for more work, I've got bad eyes and frequent headaches. Honestly my favorite "monitor" is actually my iMac. But that probably doesn't help you one bit....

I can recommend LG or Samsung flatscreens.

Don't buy anything until you go to the store and look at the model you're interested in. See how you can adjust it, what the contrast is like, the viewable angles, etc.

With prices as low as they are now, you can get a 20" widescreen for cheap and this should be the minimum you consider.

^Relatively, they might have a shorter lifespan. But it's still about 50,000 hours. Don't know about CRTs, but if you consider just how much 50,000 hours is, you really can neglect that factor. I've also read that a TFT keeps its quality longer. Only thing you may have with a flatscreen is hotpixels, i.e. single pixels that have died and thus are always red, grey or whatever colour they had last.

My brother also favours Samsung screens. Apparently, it's pretty popular to get with Samsung these days.

For the energy-conscious consumers: A TFT only consumes about one tenth of energy a CRT of similar size does. And it radiates less than a CRT. So it may be healthier to sit in front of a flat screen.

I got a steal on an LG Flatron last Xmas. I know that Samsungs are better, but this was impossible to turn down. I like it.

I will say that anything larger than 21/22", depending on how big your workspace area, will likely cause significant eye strain on your parents. I'd stick with something around those sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
whoa... a simple post and so many responses and links. My apologies for not doing the search first, that was stupid of me. Thanks for all the pointers, though!
hi nikahhra, i just wanted to let you know i removed the links from your post. we do not allow the advertising of sites in posts or threads:
Any posts or threads advertising your forum or website are unacceptable and considered spam, and will be deleted. A small text link to your personal website in your signature is acceptable. *Please note that advertising does NOT always mean that you are selling something.

Back
Top Bottom