The Video Game Thread PEW PEW!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm excited, but the teaser sorta sucked and we don't know anything about it, so my excitement is in check. Once we see actual gameplay, I'm sure I'll freak.

JT, what do you think of Vietnam? I suck so bad at it, I do so much better on normal BC2 multiplayer. I finally finished the Bad Company 2 campaign last night. There were a few super annoying parts where the saves were awful, and you'd have to do huge sections of the game over again if you died, which drove me nuts. For the most part though, it was pretty fun.

I think I need to finally finish Mass Effect 2 considering it's won game of the year awards pretty much everywhere.

Well the teaser was more of one of those announcement teasers. The storyline writers get to work well before the graphic designers do (at least with a good game).

Well the teaser was more of one of those announcement teasers. The storyline writers get to work well before the graphic designers do (at least with a good game).

Agreed, but I just didn't think it was all that great even for a teaser. I was certainly excited by the news, just not by the trailer. It's likely been in development for years, considering it's coming out later this year. One good thing is that Bethesda has supposedly confirmed it will in fact be on a new engine, so it won't look just like Oblivion / Fallout.

JT, what do you think of Vietnam? I suck so bad at it, I do so much better on normal BC2 multiplayer.

I suck pretty bad at it too. I dont think I've played it enough to have seen all the maps yet thought (how many are there? I think I've done 3). I like it, but I still prefer the wide open type maps to the really tight ones, so a few of the regular BC2 maps are still superior imo. I'll have to play a few more times before I decide.
What do you think?

I did get some other games over Christmas. I got one of the LBP/Dual Shock packs at Christmas, picked up Bioshock 2 for $20 on boxing day (you guys dont have boxing day, do you?), and then got Need for Speed Hot Pursuit a few days later.
LBP is fun, but some of the home made levels are God awful. I'm not yet sure how to sort through them to find the good ones
Bioshock 2 is awesome. Dont know why I didn't get it until now, but I'm having a lot of fun
NFS is also a ton of fun. the online mode where it's racers vs cops is good times

I think they just unlocked a new map for free to Vietnam on the first, so we have at least one other map to play sometime. I like it, but just suck really bad. I can't find a weapon I do well with. Doesn't seem to be many vehicles on the maps either.

I got Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood for Christmas, but haven't started it yet. I knew that once I did, it would annihilate my free time, so I'm going to try to finish a few other games first. I have Bioshock 2 as well, but haven't started that yet either. Really looking forward to playing both of those games though.

I have Hot Pursuit on 360, I think it's a blast too. My only gripe is that there are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many time trial races in single player, and they're super annoying and not enjoyable. Everything else is a blast though.

Agreed, but I just didn't think it was all that great even for a teaser. I was certainly excited by the news, just not by the trailer. It's likely been in development for years, considering it's coming out later this year. One good thing is that Bethesda has supposedly confirmed it will in fact be on a new engine, so it won't look just like Oblivion / Fallout.

Big boom-bust potential then. Gamebryo has been pretty reliable...

but I believe in Bethsoft... they'll get the job done. Can't make this many good games and screw up. You just cant. It'd be like Rockstar making a bad game.

I finished Donkey Kong Country Returns yesterday. Wow, if it weren't for ME2 I'd have to say it was the best game of 2010. Pure platforming bliss - sticks with the usual tropes but does them so well. Pretty damn challenging, too. Now to 100% it...

As far as Oblivion went, didn't it win numerous graphics awards? I thought it looked mind-blowingly amazing graphics wise when it came out. Of course open world games aren't going to look as good as corridor shooters like Gears or Uncharted, but Oblivion was an amazing step up from Morrowind. Definitely not last gen graphics for the size and scope of the game, in my opinion.

I really want to play Vanquish too, Happiness Challenged Punk.

Come to think of it, you're right. It was just quickly surpassed visually by a number of games the next year, and like you mentioned it's pretty unfair to compare it to Gears and UC, both of which still look pretty damn good.

As for Vanquish, definitely check it out. It's been quite criminally overlooked.

There we go that's the spirit, somebody else as excited as me!

That sounds like a rehab line at the end lol.

:hi5: Skooma for everyone!

I'm excited, but the teaser sorta sucked and we don't know anything about it, so my excitement is in check. Once we see actual gameplay, I'm sure I'll freak.

The trailer didn't reveal anything but the basic story and the fact that it's actually coming out, which is a huge step from hearing nothing for a long time. Before Oblivion came out, they released concept art and other sneak peeks in the weeks and months before, which I expect they'll do again for Skyrim. This will be an exciting summer, as we will slowly get to see what it's gonna look like.

I think we will be stunned at the graphics. Oblivion was a huge advancement from Morrowind and I'm sure Skyrim will make Oblivion look like a Nintendo 64 game. I'm hoping that the game content (hidden items, more variety in caves, etc.) will be more like Morrowind; I got tired of finding the same random loot everywhere in Oblivion. Morrowind was way more challenging in some ways, because you actually had to look for things and you were rewarded accordingly.

I'm hoping that the game content (hidden items, more variety in caves, etc.) will be more like Morrowind; I got tired of finding the same random loot everywhere in Oblivion. Morrowind was way more challenging in some ways, because you actually had to look for things and you were rewarded accordingly.

Bethesda seemed to have learned their lesson, as the Fallouts were both like Morrowind that way for unique items, and the horrible scaling with enemies and your own level was removed as well. I loved feeling like a badass in later levels of Morrowind, but absolutely hated how I did next to no damage later on in Oblivion.

Bring back the skooma! and the Skooma House!

"Got any skooma? Buddy? Pal?"

Bethesda seemed to have learned their lesson, as the Fallouts were both like Morrowind that way for unique items, and the horrible scaling with enemies and your own level was removed as well. I loved feeling like a badass in later levels of Morrowind, but absolutely hated how I did next to no damage later on in Oblivion.

I've never played Fallout, but it's good to know that they've ditched the system they were using for Oblivion. Morrowind is pretty hard at low levels, but, I agree, it's fun to open up a can on everything I meet when I'm really tough and have awesome armor. It's worth the patience! I do like how they changed the skill advancement on Oblivion; I hated getting killed by rats on Morrowind at low levels because my blade skill was too low to even hit anything!

I used the scaling of enemies on Oblivion to my advantage, though; I didn't level up past level 4 when I was doing the main quest, because all I had to fight were scamps and weak dremoras. It's the opposite on Morrowind, where it's easier to do the main quests the higher your level is (which makes more sense).

Yeah but if it's easier... the game loses it's replay value... you have all of the best items... everything is easy... you get bored.

If there's a challenge, you'll hold onto it for longer and you'll more likely be geared towards DLC.

u2popmofo said:
I have Hot Pursuit on 360, I think it's a blast too. My only gripe is that there are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many time trial races in single player, and they're super annoying and not enjoyable. Everything else is a blast though.

I played a bunch tonight and I don't mind the time trials. It's a nice break from people smashing into you all the time. I played the same one about 100 times because I was determined to beat Atomic Sneeze's best time (who is that, by the way? I'm pretty sure it's someone from here). I got super addicted tonight and had a nfs marathon. I didn't think I'd like a racing game so much

I played the same one about 100 times because

This is exactly what I hate about them, haha. It's ok once or twice, but gets so annoying later on. Far too difficult to actually get the gold medals in, or whatever they're called, compared to all the other events. Did you play the Burnout series previously? Same developer. As far as pure fun goes, Burnout can't be beat for car games.

We need to do more Vietnam.

No one playing Gran Turismo? It's a lot more realistic and therefore not just pure fun but I'm loving this game.

This is exactly what I hate about them, haha. It's ok once or twice, but gets so annoying later on. Far too difficult to actually get the gold medals in, or whatever they're called, compared to all the other events. Did you play the Burnout series previously? Same developer. As far as pure fun goes, Burnout can't be beat for car games.

It was annoying, but in a fun way. The particular track took less than 2 minutes to complete, so it wasnt too bad. I actually had a lot of fun trying to better my score until I surpassed the dreaded Atomic Sneeze. Turns out I just needed to use a sweet short cut. Some of the higher level time trials are nearly impossible to get anything better than a silver at this point though. I also played the shit out of the McLaren time trial race on the windy road. That one was pretty intense. I felt like I was a second away from losing control the entire time.
I havent played burnout. As a matter of fact, besides Mario Kart, I can't even remember the last racing game I played. I'll check it out, but maybe I'll wait till it's an el cheapo

We need to do more Vietnam.

Indeed we do. I hope the new map is a big one

No one playing Gran Turismo? It's a lot more realistic and therefore not just pure fun but I'm loving this game.

I think the realism is what turned me off of Gran Turismo. I find it more tedious than fun, but to each his own. A friend has it and really likes it. I'm a graphics whore, so maybe I'll give it a fair shake

The graphics are epic yes. I was watching a video on youtube and there were people who thought it was real footage at first.

Aren't they kind of a mix bag graphics wise though? Some pretty old and clunky looking courses and cars, mixed with some phenomenal looking courses and cars.

Hot Pursuit looks great, by the way. I really love it's graphic style and cool looking country side environment.

Sad Punk, I was just given some cash by a friend, and immediately ordered Vanquish. It should arrive Saturday. Looking forward to it.

Aren't they kind of a mix bag graphics wise though? Some pretty old and clunky looking courses and cars, mixed with some phenomenal looking courses and cars.

This is what I've heard as well. Some of the more common cars look sort of shitty whereas the high end ones look awesome.

I like the wet pavement effect in NFS

I think the time trials in single player might be my favourite part :reject:
Even though it's a ton of fun in multiplayer, I find the hot pursuit mode in single player to be a bit annoying. There are too many people bashing into you and you're never really able to get going

I played a bunch tonight and I don't mind the time trials. It's a nice break from people smashing into you all the time. I played the same one about 100 times because I was determined to beat Atomic Sneeze's best time (who is that, by the way? I'm pretty sure it's someone from here). I got super addicted tonight and had a nfs marathon. I didn't think I'd like a racing game so much

Atomic_Sneeze is me :p

Wow, that is something else. There haven't been any Kinect skateboarding games, so that was actually from Skate 3, apparently.

Played through the first 40% of Vanquish in one sitting this weekend, it's a great deal of fun. Addicting stuff.

New Elder Scrolls V Skyrim Details - PC News at IGN

The latest issue of Game Informer contains fresh gameplay details on Bethesda's next massive title, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, set for release this November.

Skyrm's story is set 200 years after the events of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and the world of Tamriel is in shambles. The empire has fallen to the elves, the Blades are gone, the Nords hate each other, and a civil war is about the break out. Oh, and that big dragon the Elder Scrolls prophesied about? Yeah, he's arrived, too. Players will take control of the last remaining Dragonborn, a dragon hunter anointed by the gods to help fend off the threat.

Bethesda's newest title features a brand-spanking new engine where every object in the game now casts a shadow as well as improved draw-distances. Textures are sharper and more detailed and the environments are livelier. There's also the addition of a HUD-less first-person view and "improved" third-person camera option.

There will be five massive cities that span Skyrim's environment, which ranges from frozen tundra to rocky mountain tops. There is also new wildlife, such as Sabre-toothed Cats and Wooly Mammoths.

The combat is getting a bit of an overhaul, too. Players will be able to equip any weapon or spell to either hand at any time and even duel wield two of the same weapon. A new customizable menu is being added to help swap load-outs easily in battle.

Bethesda has also done away with the character class system and reworked the game's leveling mechanic. Players' skills will level up the more they are used, contributing to your overall level growth. "Raising one skill from 34 to 35 is going to level you faster than raising one from 11 to 12," Bethesda designer Todd Howard told the magazine. Players can also level pass 50, but it becomes much slower after that point.

The team has also added Fallout 3's perk system, where each new level gained allows players to add special abilities to their character, including increase in damage to dagger stealth attacks or allowing your mace to ignore enemy armor.

Skyrim's NPC conversations are a lot more realistic. Aside from including even more voice actors, the AI-controlled characters will actually move about and continue on with the activities they were doing before being interrupted. Towns also include more activities to do, such farming, mining, woodcutting and cooking.

Bethesda also revamped the game's menu system. Howard said the team used Apple's iTunes as inspiration and direction. Players will be greeted with a compass-style overlay with four options: Skill, Inventory, Map, and Magic. Weapons and spells can be tagged as a 'favorite' for quick selection. Every item is a 3D object than can be viewed and examined.

Check out the latest issue of Game Informer for additional details.

Skyrim is set for release on November 11, 2011 for Xbox 360, PC, and PlayStation 3.

:up:

PS3 only people, you owe it to yourselves to buy Mass Effect 2 when it releases next week. 360 and PC people, be ashamed of yourselves if you haven't already been playing this franchise.

A guy from work keeps raving about Mass Effect and about #2, so I might have to order it. (He's an Xbox man obviously)

On another note for PS3 people, do any of you guys have NBA 2k11 and play online? my psn is poptart87. I wouldn't mind starting a league, but I guess that depends on numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom