The Video Game Thread PEW PEW!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That sucks you're having so many problems, JT. That's the one unfortunate thing about the PS3, multiplatform games are almost always better on 360 because the development hardware is essentially identical to a PC, so it's supposedly cake for developers to work with. Sony unfortunately didn't give that aspect much thought while they were stroking their own hardware boners while developing the PS3.

That said, PS3 exclusives usually are pretty awesome. I'm getting excited for Killzone 3!

Just finished the Black Ops campaign. I didn't play Modern Warfare or World At War but compared to Modern Warfare 2 it was great. It had a decent storyline and a surprising twist at the end.

That sucks you're having so many problems, JT. That's the one unfortunate thing about the PS3, multiplatform games are almost always better on 360 because the development hardware is essentially identical to a PC, so it's supposedly cake for developers to work with. Sony unfortunately didn't give that aspect much thought while they were stroking their own hardware boners while developing the PS3.

That said, PS3 exclusives usually are pretty awesome. I'm getting excited for Killzone 3!

Ya, it's super annoying. Apparently Rockstar is doing it backwards for LA Noire and are developing for PS3, then porting to the others, so I'm stoked about that.
But in this case, it seems like Treyarch have just plain neglected the PS3. I dont know a whole lot about the tech stuff, but I think it's mostly problems with their PS3 servers and not so much with the software.
Thank God for exclusives

I haven't had many troubles with getting into matches so far. It seems that I'm lucky then.

I haven't had many troubles with getting into matches so far. It seems that I'm lucky then.

hmmm, I wonder if it's just the North American servers then? When I turn the game on, it's so bad now that I assume I probably wont get into a match. And even when I do, at least once a session, I get kicked out half way through with a "you've been signed out of the playstation network" error, even though I'm still signed in. The whole thing is very frustrating

Looks like they might have the server thing sorted out.

Also, I gotta say that I love steering the Valkyrie rocket around. I had an awesome kill and made a nifty little video of it

Just finished Mafia II, it was flawed but still a pretty solid product. The story was great, it really immerses you into the era, and I really liked the combat, but there just wasn't that much to do. Glad I rented it, all in all.

Just want to say that Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is insanely good and GT5 is also real good except some flaws. But hey the driving experience in that game when u drive a tuned Nissan GT-R or a Ferrari 458 Italia outweighs all those flaws :applaud:

If I hated the first Assassins Creed will I also hate the new one? I've never played part 2, because I really didn't like the first one, but the multiplayer seems interesting

I'm really looking forward to the new Assassin's Creed. I never played the first one but I loved the last one.

If I hated the first Assassins Creed will I also hate the new one? I've never played part 2, because I really didn't like the first one, but the multiplayer seems interesting

I said a few good things about AC2 when it was released, but after playing it again recently I found it deplorable - and Brotherhood seems to be pretty much the same with a few tweaks.

I'll go as far as to say that AC is easily the most overrated major franchise on the market and I hope Ubisoft don't disappoint in milking the hell out of it so people can get as sick of it as I have.

I said a few good things about AC2 when it was released, but after playing it again recently I found it deplorable - and Brotherhood seems to be pretty much the same with a few tweaks.

I'll go as far as to say that AC is easily the most overrated major franchise on the market and I hope Ubisoft don't disappoint in milking the hell out of it so people can get as sick of it as I have.

That's sort of what I figured. Oh well.
It just seems like they go for quantity over quality with regard to the gameplay; Massive worlds that are impossible to get immersed in because character graphics (everyone but the main character, anyway), animations, and controls are garbage and the AI is pretty weak.
I had such high hopes for the first one before it was released.
But hey, if some of you are enjoying it, thats awesome

Muramusa: The Demon Blade for Wii is amazing. 2D hack and slash, amazing graphics (in an artsy, not "holy shit that looks real" kind of way), with simple RPG elements. Quite engrossing and the most fun I've had with a video game in a long time.

To each their own on Assassin's Creed. I thought part two was absolutely phenomenal, and all the reviews have said Brotherhood is easily the best Ass Creed game to date. Multiplayer is likely something that won't keep more than a few days of interest, but I look forward to playing through this one when I get it.

I do think that they're idiots to pump these games out every year though. The industry seems to want to kill its biggest franchises with over-saturation. At some point Call of Duty is going to majorly bomb, and the entire industry will look like idiots for continually trying to do exactly what they do.

I'm selling my Wii to my sister's family for Christmas. It's sad how boring their software has been for the last few years.

I think the detail of Assassin's Creed is absolutely amazing. You can read background stories of so many buildings and people and do a lot of things outside of the main story. I like the combination of history and a fun game (it's not that I read everything).

Any programmers here? This is where I hope to move on after I finish my CS degree. I love video games, although I'm a critic of a lot of them.

If so, any advice?

I thought they sold a shit load? like, $600million worth worldwide in a week

Call of Duty continues to break it's own records. By namesake.

Doesnt make Treyarch any better of a developer. Infinity Ward is simply better, and they're the ones who are making Treyarch so successful. The game is not that good, and certainly not better than Modern Warfare 2.

I was referring to the comment that it was a major bomb. Far from it. I agree that IW is better though (As seen in my bitching in previous posts ;) ). But the maps from MW2 and Black Ops are still inferior to the maps from the first MW, imo. I dont know what it was, but they were so perfect

Ah, gotcha. Definitely far from a bomb. It's still a good game. It's just not as good as it gets credit for (which was my point, IW carries the brand)

I never really fell in love with the first MW, but a ton of people did. That being said, I didnt play it enough to know the maps all that well, or at least not how I know the maps in MW2 or Black Ops.

I think some of the Black Ops maps are really silly when you consider the objective placements. So many maps are easily one sided, and the objective placements are absolutely ridiculous. One of the worst set out maps, in my opinion, is Array. The Domination site for B, or Bomb site B, is easily one of the stupidest placements I've ever seen. So long as you have teams that are actually playing the game and not being a bunch of tards, those positions are simply unable to be lost. There is so much to rant about - so much more to rant about than the silly thing I used to rant about in MW2. To their credit though, they did fix quite a bit of things that got on my nerves. But being Treyarch, they also added tons of annoying things (i.e. Spawn system, ineffective snipers/sniping, spawn system, did I say that twice?)

MW2 certainly has its good and bad maps, but for the most part they got the job done perfectly in placing objectives and spawn points.

All of that being said on both of the companies, Call of Duty will never bomb from Treyarch or Infinity Ward. They might fade out of style, but it'd take a really tough effort for them to 'bomb'. If you want to see a Call of Duty game bomb, look at Sledgehammer Games who was announced as the 3rd party that will be involved in the Call of Duty franchise. Big boom-bust potential there.

I personally think Black Ops is better than Modern Warfare 2 in every way. Campaign is better, story was better, Multiplayer is far more focused on actually "playing" and not ridiculous kill streaks adding on top of each other, they've already giving the game far more support in a month than Infinity Ward ever gave MW2, etc. All my opinion, obviously, others feel different. I got far more enjoyment out of World at War's multiplayer than I ever did with MW1 or 2, so I guess I just prefer what Treyarch's always tried to do with multiplayer. I had no issues with Infinity Ward whatsoever until Modern Warfare 2, I pretty much hated everything about that game. It felt like a cruel joke in comparison to the first Call of Duty (PC), which is easily one of my all time favorite games.

Infinity Ward is essentially dead. I'm not sure why these discussions continue at all in that regard. Yes, the company still existsm but essentially every single person who mattered at all in regards to making the Call of Duty franchise since the beginning is no longer there. The likelihood that they'll put anything out in the future that doesn't feel like a subpar clone of the early games is crazily low (see Bungie after the first Halo as an example, 3 mediocre sequels before they made another good one, and even that's debatable by a lot of fans).

Maybe I'm wrong about the annual release thing. Maybe other consumers have no problem buying essentially the exact same game with new maps and a shorter and shorter campaign every single year, but I'm certainly not. It's the worst part of the industry now for me personally. Little creativity, and everything is a hastily released sequel, remake, or cash in using the exact same game engine.

I personally think Black Ops is better than Modern Warfare 2 in every way. Campaign is better, story was better, Multiplayer is far more focused on actually "playing" and not ridiculous kill streaks adding on top of each other, they've already giving the game far more support in a month than Infinity Ward ever gave MW2, etc. All my opinion, obviously, others feel different. I got far more enjoyment out of World at War's multiplayer than I ever did with MW1 or 2, so I guess I just prefer what Treyarch's always tried to do with multiplayer. I had no issues with Infinity Ward whatsoever until Modern Warfare 2, I pretty much hated everything about that game. It felt like a cruel joke in comparison to the first Call of Duty (PC), which is easily one of my all time favorite games.

Infinity Ward is essentially dead. I'm not sure why these discussions continue at all in that regard. Yes, the company still existsm but essentially every single person who mattered at all in regards to making the Call of Duty franchise since the beginning is no longer there. The likelihood that they'll put anything out in the future that doesn't feel like a subpar clone of the early games is crazily low (see Bungie after the first Halo as an example, 3 mediocre sequels before they made another good one, and even that's debatable by a lot of fans).

Maybe I'm wrong about the annual release thing. Maybe other consumers have no problem buying essentially the exact same game with new maps and a shorter and shorter campaign every single year, but I'm certainly not. It's the worst part of the industry now for me personally. Little creativity, and everything is a hastily released sequel, remake, or cash in using the exact same game engine.

Of course we all have our opinions here. But, with all due respect, I cannot even accept your opinion on the campaign. I'm not a huge campaign person when it comes to linear FPS games like Call of Duty, but I always play them. And always on veteran, because I'm an achievement whore. I cant comment on the storyline for Black Ops because I havent finished it, but I can certainly comment that the storyline for MW2 was pretty damn good. I would love to comment on the Black Ops storyline, but sadly Treyarch doesnt know how to make AI in a reasonable manner. I dont know if you've played the game on veteran or not, but the AI respawn system is absolutely foolish, something that Infinity Ward generally stays away from (although still uses it). There's no such thing as 'clearing out a room' because there are AI respawns just about everywhere in Black Ops. And their incredibly fast auto-aim system on veteran makes it so that it's impossible to not take damage - I'm currently stuck in a hallway and I cant move forward without dying a thousand times. I know I can pass it, I've never had real trouble with any game even on its hardest difficulty. But it's a turnoff when the game is so incredibly unrealistic. Makes me not want to bother with it. Where is the tactics? What is the point of a video game if all you do is charge in, take as much damage as you can, hide, kill, move forward, etc.? That's all it is. No tactics at all, it's almost luck when you dont die sometimes.

Back on the multiplayer though, which undoubtedly is the most important part for any COD franchise, I can see the concepts of Black Ops being better than MW2. I just think that the physics of the game fails on a big level. The user player has an incredibly low damage threshold. Treyarch tried to offset that by reducing accuracy. So in short, guns dont shoot as far or as accurate, but you die pretty quickly. For Call of Duty critics, it only feeds their argument that Call of Duty takes no talent (and go figure, it's a mainstream video game trying to appeal to all audiences, not just gamers).

On the state of Infinity Ward, you're right, the team leaders were all fired with that EA Sports nonsense... but it's a pretty simple game they've got running. I can see them screwing up the single player, but it'd be hard to really screw up the multiplayer for the Modern Warfare series. All they've really got to do is copy and paste. Tweak a few things. I wouldnt put it past a whole team of developers to follow in the footsteps of the previous head developers. Although you're right, there's big potential to flop there as well.

I dont know quite what you're saying with the Halo series. The original Halo wasn't exactly a hit (it was Halo 2 that was the hit). Halo 3 had its critics from Halo 2 fans, but is definitely one of the best, most innovative games to date. I'll give you that ODST was lame (although very overlooked for it's amazing storyline/single player). I personally think Reach is a lame knockoff of Halo 3. Just pretty'd up, with some Call of Duty angles in perks.

I know I'm writing too much lol, but I enjoy talking about the topic, both business wise and recreationally (which is why I want to take my career in this direction). As I said above, Call of Duty is a mainstream video game that appeals to a larger audience than just video gamers. Many people own an xbox or PS3 simply to play that game. Most do not care about the single player, or any offline experience whatsoever. Many have limited previous experience to the previous Call of Duty games. If the majority of the players really stick to just Call of Duty, dont you think they'd get bored quickly? Which is why if you keep on releasing a game that is similar, almost identical, to it, with updated features/maps/etc., it will continue to sell. You might see a fallout of the more serious fans (I'm not falling for the Treyarch trick again, but that's just me). I know what you're saying with the little creativity. Even in the most creative games, they're abusing this whole new online age for gaming. Take a look at Bethesda Studios and the Fallout series. New Vegas was great, but it was the exact damn same thing save a few fancy adjustments as Fallout 3. What irks me most is the abusing of DLC. Which is why I have a huge love-hate relationship with Rockstar. Make a new damn GTA already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom