The Video Game Thread PEW PEW!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure NSW can't wait for that Savvy Merchant outfit.

Anyway, it's really cool that Rockstar is doing such interesting stuff with the DLC and for free, especially given the fact that Infinity Ward seems to think it can charge everyone $15 for each set of five new multiplayer maps they throw out.

Its shit. I got rid of it not long after buying it.

Biggest fucking disappointment of a video game of my life, I'm pretty sure.

My step-father has purchased RDR. I would play it if I could ever get a shot at it. Now that my brother's out of school, I'm not sure that's ever going to occur.

especially given the fact that Infinity Ward seems to think it can charge everyone $15 for each set of 2 new multiplayer maps they throw out.

fixt

CODWN3D

In their defense, the Infinity Ward essentially doesn't exist any more after all the quitting that happened following the firings, and these business decisions have all been made by Activision. At the same time though, it's fairly insulting to realize that all of these maps were done when the game came out, they were just holding on them to sell later.

I'm sure NSW can't wait for that Savvy Merchant outfit.

Anyway, it's really cool that Rockstar is doing such interesting stuff with the DLC and for free, especially given the fact that Infinity Ward seems to think it can charge everyone $15 for each set of five new multiplayer maps they throw out.
I drove my 14 year old brother to the store today, which he'd been bitching about for weeks, and all he got was that fucking map card.

New Red Dead Redemption Co-Op Mission Detailed News | Video Game Event News, Latest Trailers | GameTrailers.com

In a post in early May, before the game even came out, we detailed the first DLC pack for Red Dead Redemption. At the time, we knew that the DLC pack would be called Outlaws to the End and that it would be free of charge. We also learned, way back then, that it would include six co-op missions playable by 2-4 players.

The initial announcement also included details of three of the missions: Walton’s Gold, The River, and Ammunition. Well today, Rockstar has announced a fourth mission from the pack entitled The Kidnapped Girl.

The Kidnapped Girl features a gang that has overrun Fort Mercer with a recently abducted farmer’s daughter in tow. After emptying the fort of evil-doers and liberating the girl, you will find yourself fending off waves of reinforcements as you transport her, via stagecoach, back to her home at Ridgewood Farm.

Considering how much stage coach fun has already been had, I like the sound of this.

Awesome. This game continues to make me nostalgic for turning 16 and getting my first stagecoach.

11:26
IGN:
Kinect Sports is up next. A retail box for it is shown on screen.

11:27
IGN:
You can pump up the crowd before a game with your arms. Monday June 14, 2010 11:27 IGN

11:27
Erik-IGN:
6 different sports in Kinect Sports. Monday June 14, 2010 11:27 Erik-IGN

Soccer, bowling, javelin, long jump, ping pong, boxing, and volleyball are all shown in a short trailer. Monday June 14, 2010 11:30 IGN

11:28
IGN:
A hurdles game is shown. Two players run in place to compete, jumping to leap over hurdles. "Chariots of Fire" is played at the finish line.

Well, reading through, I think you can also talk to it and it will do what you tell it - like a woman. You can also tell it to play, stop, rewind, fast forward DVDs, and the XBOX will do that too - unlike a woman. I guess it's like a Wii Motion Sensor +. There's a dance game coming out by the Guitar Hero people (Harmonix?)- it's got Bell Biv Devoe in it, so it's pretty much a must buy.

I've talked a few times on this site about my love for the Donkey Kong Country series on SNES, and how they're my favorite video games of all time. Well, fuck me...

YouTube - [E3 2010] Donkey Kong Country Returns

:drool::drool::drool: ! I don't personally own a Wii, but I can't wait to sit down and waste a weekend getting that game 100% completed with some of my buddies. Holy shit.

They're also doing a new Goldeneye 007. Another one of my favorites (as it was for seemingly every single kid my age), but this actually doesn't have me nearly as excited as the DKC for some reason.

YouTube - Goldeneye 007 - First Footage - Wii Exclusive

Ugh, this has kinda shattered me.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/06/15/heavy-rain-dlc-on-indefinite-hold.aspx

The fate of the second announced episode, which was supposed to have featured the Origami Killer as the playable character, is now in doubt. According to de Fondaumière, Sony encouraged Quantic Dream to focus its efforts on the Move version of Heavy Rain instead of the DLC.

Heavy Rain is probably my favourite game of the year. Fuck you, Sony.

New DKC cheers me up a whole bunch, though.

DKC looks really cool and might be enough for me to see if I can try to get my old Wii back from my parents. The Goldeneye thing, however, seems completely unnecessary to me.

Still, DKC looks awesome. And in related platformer news, I've started up Super Mario World on the SNES Emulator again, as I'm wont to do from time to time.

I've been emulating the shit out of old platformers and the like lately. Anyone remember Plok on the SNES? One of the better games of its ilk that was overlooked at the time in favour of Mario, Sonic, DKC and probably even Bubsy the goddamn Bobcat.

well, hello rock band 3...

e3-115_copy.jpg

rbpromode.jpg

500x_e3-107.jpg

For years, musicians have mocked those of us holding plastic guitars. Fair enough—but we had fun! But with Rock Band 3, we learn what Harmonix was up to all along: Actually teaching us how to play real instruments.

With complex game design coupled with increasingly detailed peripherals, Harmonix has reimagined not only the nature of the music game genre but where video games can take us into the future.

It was a clever ruse. Hand us five buttons and a strum bar in the vague shape of a guitar. Sync the presses to an audio track and suddenly every awkwardly proportioned teenager thinks he's Bon Jovi. (After Harmonix reminded him who Bon Jovi was.)

The rhythm game genre is a multi-billion-dollar industry unto itself now. $80 is a small price to pay to feel like we are part of a band, to feel a little ersatz cool and talent to boot. The air guitar had been digitized.

Most games franchises stop here. Offer the player a challenging but surmountable task. Find a way to reward them to repeat said task. Scratch our collective OCD right behind the ears just enough to never quite satisfy us but stop us from walking away.

Most video games are extremely effective at coaxing us to work, but this work never produces anything much of merit. You may unlock things—virtual things—like a level 70 character in WoW with an epic flying mount. But when you walk away from the computer or console, you walk away as the same person, not as a spell-wielding Death Knight or something.

With Rock Band 3, on top of the new options to play a two-octave midi keyboard...

...you can play "pro mode" guitar parts with a full Mad Catz guitar replica, for which every possible note on the guitar is represented by its own string/fret button. (Yes, that's a whole lot of buttons—102 in all.)

But even more so, you can use a full, real Fender guitar in the game as well...with actual strings...even plugged into an amp.

Instead of digitizing the air guitar, Harmonix (with the help of Mad Catz and Fender) has digitized the real guitar.

The game will still show you the "buttons" to press, but now they're a combination of real frets and strings, a modern take on tabs (labeled with real chord names) with a whole lot more eye candy and real time performance feedback. It's not wholly different than the Rock Band interface you know—therein lies its particular genius: By slowly building vocals, keyboards and other new functions into Rock Band, Harmonix gateway-drugged us into reading a new style of music. Even if that's not sheet music (yet), our fingers will know how to play Bohemian Rhapsody.

Really play it.

And when you eventually unplug that Fender guitar from the console? It will still play, but not just because it's a neat peripheral. It will play because your fingers know the chords. It will play because you can play it.

So that's what Harmonix has done with Rock Band 3—they're going to teach us how to play real instruments. But there's more going on outside the instrument genre. With Dance Central, a dance game powered by Kinect to track your whole body's movement in realtime, the same company may be teaching all of us to move with rhythm and grace.

Make no mistake, as gimmicky as these titles and their attached hardware may seem, they're crossing an important threshold, leveraging technology to not only entertain us, but to teach us, maybe even improve us while doing so. They've turned that old "edutaintment" category of games into plain, old "entertainment".

i've avoided the rock band phenomenon because i'm afraid i'd become adicted to it... but if they're going to have it so that you can actually learn how to play a real guitar? oh i'm in.

Although I'm far from interested in any Rock Band deal, it pleases me that they'll actually be making the guitar more realistic. That was always my biggest gripe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom