The question many people have: how do i speed up my computer? it used to be so fast! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:36 AM
So that ccleanup worked? I was waiting for you to be the guinea pig before I tried it.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:36 PM
^ an external would be good IMO. I didnt so much wipe my stuff, but formatted as it was already said. So if you could move your personal files to an external, then reformat that'd seem a good solution. (could be a little drastic though)

Old 03-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicy View Post
So that ccleanup worked? I was waiting for you to be the guinea pig before I tried it.
yeah. works pretty well.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:56 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo! View Post
^ an external would be good IMO. I didnt so much wipe my stuff, but formatted as it was already said. So if you could move your personal files to an external, then reformat that'd seem a good solution. (could be a little drastic though)
yeah, i think i'll do this, and external hard drives don't seem too expensive.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #20
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 04:36 AM
I have an external that I got on craigs list for like $30
Old 03-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #21
Galeonbroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicy View Post
Doncha trust me anymore then?

The only thing you should be careful with is restoring registry stuff. But the program always prompts you to make a backup first, so that takes care of that.

Besides that, it can clean about anything on the pc.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #22
The Fly

A major reason for slowdowns on most of the computers I see is due to spyware infestations. They may not be as dangerous as viruses, but they can clog up your arteries like a lifetime of booze and fast food!

Two free programs that I install on any computer I set up are Lavasoft's Ad-Aware which you can get from Ad-Aware @ Lavasoft - The Original Anti-Spyware Company - Lavasoft and Spybot Search & Destroy from The home of Spybot-S&D! . Install and run both of them AFTER using a program such as CCleaner or Diskcleaner Disk Cleaner

Beware if you use AVG antivirus, though. Currently it has problems with Ad-Aware, though they're working on a fix. Don't install Ad-Aware if you use AVG. Try Malwarebytes instead Malwarebytes.org

I recommend using 2 spyware cleaners because you usually find that one discovers stuff that the first one leaves behind. Remember to update & run these free programs regularly - I do mine about every 2 weeks.

Teddy
Old 03-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:36 AM
Downloading CCleaner now.
My anti-virus expired yesterday. and I have already paid everything. I've got to have something, free, for 2 -3 weeks at least.
I like freeware where I can donate when I have the funds.
Will AVG and CCleaner protect me for 2 weeks or so?
Old 03-17-2009, 05:11 AM   #24
Galeonbroad

AVG is good enough to protect you for the rest of your life for free.
And CCleanere should be used regularly, say, once every 1 or 2 months or so. Because cookies and temp internet files will come back, and you just never know what other shit ends up on your computer. Same with that you should scan for viruses daily, this just have to be done daily.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 03-17-2009, 08:26 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

* Run disk cleanup
* Run disk defrag
* Check through programs/processes that run on startup (Start > Run > msconfig)
* Don't be running more than one av/cleaner/anti-spyware/malware/etc program at a time (find a GOOD product that isn't a memory hog and does ALL these functions)
* If you have less than 2GB RAM, turn off Aero in Vista
Old 03-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
* Run disk cleanup
* Run disk defrag
* Check through programs/processes that run on startup (Start > Run > msconfig)
* Don't be running more than one av/cleaner/anti-spyware/malware/etc program at a time (find a GOOD product that isn't a memory hog and does ALL these functions)
* If you have less than 2GB RAM, turn off Aero in Vista

I've done this except for the programs that run on startup. But I'm most anxious to get a antivirus prgram. I've also done a sys. restore
Should I get the adaware and CCleaner or Malwarebytes? or all of these.
When I downloaded CCleaner last night I somehow downloaded a registry booster that only removed 15 and you had to buy it to get the rest off. I don't know if that was in with the CCleaner or if I clicked on the wrong thing. But my fuctionality is back since I did the restore. So I have to get av on here.
Thanks again for all the help.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:12 AM   #27
Galeonbroad

Ccleaner is 100% free so that can't be it. It can also clean the registry so don't bother with the other program.

It is, however, not comparable with adware and malware programs, it cleans up your computer but doesn't detect viruses and spyware and such. You need separate programs for that.
I only have adaware, and no problems here, but I'm sure someone with malwarebytes swears by that program. It's a bit biased with what you use yourself.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue4u2 View Post
I've done this except for the programs that run on startup. But I'm most anxious to get a antivirus prgram. I've also done a sys. restore
Should I get the adaware and CCleaner or Malwarebytes? or all of these.
When I downloaded CCleaner last night I somehow downloaded a registry booster that only removed 15 and you had to buy it to get the rest off. I don't know if that was in with the CCleaner or if I clicked on the wrong thing. But my fuctionality is back since I did the restore. So I have to get av on here.
Thanks again for all the help.
CCleaner is different. I've seen it on some comps but personally have never used it and haven't had a need for it. For virus/adware/malware protection I would get ONE program that does it all. Read reviews and make sure it's a good program that won't bog down your system, depending on how much memory you have. My current program is very good and I'm happy with it, but admittedly it does effect performance and my computer would be faster without it.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Even though I have what would be considered a very fast computer, NOD32/ESET Smart Security has a low resource footprint, so that's what I use for an antivirus and firewall. I don't need my computer speed being bogged down by resource-intensive AV processes!
Old 03-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #30
The Fly

I use Avast Personal Edition for anti-virus, Zonealarm firewall and Spybot S&D with Ad-Aware SE for spyware protection. Haven't had any major problems for the last four years or so. Avast does require registration every year, but it doesn't cost anything, and doesn't flood your inbox with junk mail!

I used to recommend AVG free edition anti-virus, but some of my clients have had problems with updating, plus it now seems to conflict with Ad-Aware. Until those problems are solved, I'm holding off on recommending it again.

Teddy