The question many people have: how do i speed up my computer? it used to be so fast!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even though I have what would be considered a very fast computer, NOD32/ESET Smart Security has a low resource footprint, so that's what I use for an antivirus and firewall. I don't need my computer speed being bogged down by resource-intensive AV processes!

I had NOD32/ESET this past year, on advice from Liesje.:up: It worked beautifully, It's the one that expired. When I got it in '08 it was $29.99. This time around it's $59.99 for a single user. I really do want it again, shouldn't they give me a discount for being a returning user? I'm going to email them and negotiate with them. :wink:
The AVG I looked at today and for the life of me couldn't see where it was free. Only the ad-aware, spyware, is free. I've got an old mcafee disc from a few years ago. But I don't like them either:down:
Oh hell, just got to figure out what I can do without to get the antivirus I want.

NOD32 is a good product, for those who need such things. I have it on Jessica's machine. Leaves a fairly small footprint in memory.

IIRC renewing is cheaper than buying from scratch, but that probably depends on how long the old one has been expired.

I decided to go with the avast-home. Couldn't get any answers about a discount with eset. (not that I was expecting anything) Avast does all I need and hasn't slowed down my computer very much at all. Didn't get any viruses in that 3 days I went without protection. :applaud:
Computer even seems to run a bit faster with the spyware removed.

Spoke too soon. I was at work when I wrote this ^ last post. It was fine last night but it took me 6 miutes from my last post to make my way to this thread.
This won't do, at all.
I've got to get rid of Avast and get back to ESET, somehow. :|

6 minutes? That's not right. Sounds like something may be conflicting in the system, there.

Get rid of Avast, and try AVIRA instead. It's one of the few that are recommended for older & slower machines (which I'm presuming you have), small footprint and nearly no memory useage.

There's a smaller one still - ClamWin - but it doesn't use real-time protection, which means you have to remember to manually run a scan every day to have a chance of protecting yourself.

Teddy

I've been trying to download: update to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - March 2009 (KB890830)

for 4 hours now..
Yes, I have an older computer and I'm still on dial up.

Do I need this NET Framework update to run these antivirus programs?

These economic times are seriously holding me back.
But it is what it is.

Thanks, Teddy. :up:

Yes, you probably do.... but I didn't realise you were still on dial-up! PM me if you want a CD, you'd be surprised where I can ship to!

Teddy

Even though I have what would be considered a very fast computer, NOD32/ESET Smart Security has a low resource footprint, so that's what I use for an antivirus and firewall. I don't need my computer speed being bogged down by resource-intensive AV processes!

I used Nod32 for years.

Then I got a Mac. :hyper:

I've been using Tune-up Utilities (TuneUp America - TuneUp Utilities 2009) for years and I've never had anything but positive things to say about it. It removes unnecessary junk from your computer, cleans and defragments the registry, defragments your drives, optimizes your internet connection and does lots lots lots of other stuff. And it has a fully functional free trial period. :up:

*frustrated sigh*

Okay, so I randomly ended up with some sort of crap on my computer - I'm guessing it was from a torrent, even though I've never had issues with torrents before.

Many of the regular websites I visit are verrrrrry slow now, and I get a lot of random pop-ups that I wasn't getting before.

I did, upon the recommendation of this thread, download the NOD32/ESET thing, and at the site's urging, first cleared off all other antivirus stuff off my computer.

I've never been great about this thing, so maybe I had some anti-popup stuff running and now have deleted it.

I ran the NOD32 thing, and it identified and quarantined 4 files it identified as wonky something-or-others. I thought I deleted them, but why am I still having issues?

Is the slow speed of some sites just a coincidence, and I just need a popup blocker? Do I maybe have some sort of spyware? I would have thought the NOD32 thing would have caught spyware. Did I not truly delete the files that were an issue?

It's pissing me off.

Even the best AV programs aren't always going to do the job if you already have a bad virus or malware (otherwise my co-worker would not have a job!). They work best because they run real-time scans and update themselves daily so when something suspicious pops up, it's quarantined immediately. Installing after the fact will probably remove *most* of the problem (run the scans in Safe Mode), but some of these viruses piggyback and corrupt system files.

If you can, I would try a System Restore, then immediately install the antivirus.

Good to know, I was thinking that would be my next step. Thanks!

AFter I posted that earlier tonight, I immediately got hit by a bazillion pop ups that kept opening new tabs in the browser - it was so bad, I had to manually shut down.

Oh, and I always forget about the safe mode thing. Can you please refresh my memory of how I get into safe mode? I know there's something I need to do while it's booting up. Thanks again, Lies.

Edit, 20 minutes later: Ahhhh, that's better. :)

Most antivirus software will not remove most spyware. Get Ad-Aware SE and Spybot S&D from the links earlier in this thread, run them both in Safe Mode then in normal mode. You might have to run them more than once, this stuff is a bugger to get rid of once you've got it.

Teddy

:crack: Question:

Has ANYONE been able to download the latest AVG free yet?

I've been trying two days now, two days ago the installation wouldn't even run, it would claim I have no internet connection. Yesterday it would start, but after 4% or so it would stop claiming again I have no internet connection. And that over and over and over again!

Ofcourse, I always had a working internet connection since msn, aim and internet work perfectly.

I had NOD32/ESET this past year, on advice from Liesje.:up: It worked beautifully, It's the one that expired. When I got it in '08 it was $29.99. This time around it's $59.99 for a single user. I really do want it again, shouldn't they give me a discount for being a returning user? I'm going to email them and negotiate with them. :wink:

Actually, looking on the site, it looks like NOD32 is $39.99 for a single home user for a 1 year. $59.99 is for ESET Smart Security, which is basically NOD32 bundled with a software firewall, spam filtering, anti-spyware, etc. So it is more expensive than before, but it's still not $60.

Oh and there is special renewal pricing too. Those above prices are for new users. Here are what returning customers pay:

http://www.eset.com/purchase/renewals.php

The renewal price for NOD32 for 1 user for 1 year is $27.99!

Back
Top Bottom