Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
ISPs already control our bandwidth.
Mine doesn't.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:14 PM
This is frightening to even contemplate. But then there are those who's genius minds would sabotage, crash and effectively shut down some conglomerates attempt to do this. With or without laws against it. (and I'd work with them)
(Note: If you don't hear from me in a while be sure to check gitmo and get me a lawyer. )

Old 06-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Mine doesn't.
But you are most likely limited by their infrastructure, which controls bandwidth. For example, at home I use Comcast so I get whatever speed I get off their fiberoptic with whatever plan I have. Now at work, we use a T1 line but can't afford full bandwidth. At work we pay hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for our bandwidth. I don't know the exact numbers, but considering my Comcast subscription is $36/mo there are vast differences in bandwidth. One could have a dial-up service with "no limit", but their a physical limitations to that type of connection, regardless of what the ISP is offering.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The US has among the world's slowest home broadband internet speeds. Japan users average 61Mbps.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
But you are most likely limited by their infrastructure, which controls bandwidth. For example, at home I use Comcast so I get whatever speed I get off their fiberoptic with whatever plan I have. Now at work, we use a T1 line but can't afford full bandwidth. At work we pay hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for our bandwidth. I don't know the exact numbers, but considering my Comcast subscription is $36/mo there are vast differences in bandwidth. One could have a dial-up service with "no limit", but their a physical limitations to that type of connection, regardless of what the ISP is offering.
Oh, of course they do. I think that I don't fully understand the concept of bandwidth and I was talking more about download limits. My ISP has unlimited downloading, but I see that now, some of the bigger ISPs are imposing limits, and charging extra when you go over your limit.

So bandwidth pertains to not only websites (they have X amount of bandwidth per month, and each person who views it or downloads from it uses up some of that bandwidth, so if the site runs out, it's essentially down till the next month - is that how it works?) but also to the speed in which your ISP allows you to connect to and download from the internet?

But...do the two concepts sort of overlap, because the more I do download, the more I'm also using up the bandwidth of the website and of my ISP? Is that how it works?

I think I went to DSL around 2000 or 2001, and at that time, there was only dial-up and DSL available (and cable, of course, but my ISP didn't offer that at the time). Since then, I see, my ISP has added two lower levels of DSL service, and their speeds are considerably lower than I'm getting.

ETA - Interesting chart, ntalwar. On their website, my ISP says that my service is up to 5 Mbps, but when I used to click my internet icon, it always said it was connected at 10 Mbps. Now that I'm using wireless, it says that it's connected at 54 Mbps. So, I have no idea.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:09 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
On their website, my ISP says that my service is up to 5 Mbps, but when I used to click my internet icon, it always said it was connected at 10 Mbps. Now that I'm using wireless, it says that it's connected at 54 Mbps. So, I have no idea.
The 10 and 54 Mbps are the LAN speed. Testing internet speed requires visiting a website specifically for testing speed, such as Bandwidth Place Speed Test.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
The 10 and 54 Mbps are the LAN speed. Testing internet speed requires visiting a website specifically for testing speed, such as Bandwidth Place Speed Test.
1.71 Mbps, nice.

Is that wholly dependent upon my ISP, or do other factors influence it such as the speed of my computer and the connection being wireless?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Yup you have unlimited bandwidth in the sense that they don't cap out your downloads, but the speed is limited, so you can't really maximize on having an "unlimited" plan. Yes, the two concepts overlap. I think way back in the day, dial-up ISP's had bandwidth/download limitations. By the time we got on the 'net, they did not, but we were still at the mercy of a dial-up speed connection, whereas at work we are at 100MB.

Like ntalwar said, your computer gives you speeds based on the type of connection. You don't ever really get a "perfect" connection though.

I don't know the exact definition of bandwidth, but I understand it as a size/time sort of thing. For example, like you said, one of my websites used to have a monthly limit of 300MB (or something) and when I reached that, my site was no longer accessible to the public. The "speed" of a connection is more like the maximum the technology can handle, and no one ever really gets that.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
1.71 Mbps, nice.

Is that wholly dependent upon my ISP, or do other factors influence it such as the speed of my computer and the connection being wireless?
Both. You have DSL? It depends on the ISP, their infrastructure, your phone wiring at home, your hub/router, your computer's networking hardware....
Old 06-07-2008, 09:27 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Bandwidth is to data what pipe diameter is to water.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

Thanks for the answers, guys.

Whatever the case, I'm reasonably happy with what I have. When downloading a song or something similar in size, very often, by the time the Firefox download box thingy pops up, it's already finished. I was horrified though when I first heard about ISPs imposing downloading limits. Some months I download very little or nothing, while others, I use WAY over what the limits would be. I think the limits seem to be more common with our national ISPs, though. Mine is more of a regional service.

Topic? I don't really understand the rationale for larger websites agreeing to have full access to their websites packaged by ISPs. Aren't they making their money from advertising, and wouldn't it follow that the more people to see their website, the more they would make from advertisers?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Topic? I don't really understand the rationale for larger websites agreeing to have full access to their websites packaged by ISPs. Aren't they making their money from advertising, and wouldn't it follow that the more people to see their website, the more they would make from advertisers?
The ISPs would act on their own, abusing their position as gatekeepers. Google, which owns youtube, has the following stance on their website:

Fundamentally, net neutrality is about equal access to the Internet. In our view, the broadband carriers should not be permitted to use their market power to discriminate against competing applications or content. Just as telephone companies are not permitted to tell consumers who they can call or what they can say, broadband carriers should not be allowed to use their market power to control activity online. Today, the neutrality of the Internet is at stake as the broadband carriers want Congress's permission to determine what content gets to you first and fastest. Put simply, this would fundamentally alter the openness of the Internet.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Local Time: 07:14 PM
It makes me think of something that happened...I guess it was earlier this year? Where yahoo, (or one of the big search engines, I can't recall which) forged an agreement with China to block content from various sites that were deemed unacceptable by the Chinese gov't, I believe Yahoo ended up backing out after a big stink was raised on the internetz..
Does anyone else remember this?

Tags
internet