The Elder Scrolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's still really difficult to pick up small objects, now that you mention that.

I think everything else is quite doable in Skyrim (although I still dislike archery through 3rd person).

Oh OK, that's good to know.

I'm almost done with the main quest. The Wiki says that the last part is difficult because it's one of those situations where you're in a certain place and can't leave until you finish it. Should I invest in a ton of health potions first or just go for it?

Here's the Wiki if anyone needs it; it's very informative about all of the Elder Scrolls games:
UESPWiki

so I did that thing where you read a post and only focus on a random part of it and ignore the rest until you read it again later.

Main quest! Yes. Just finished that this last week. I would say.....well, I wasn't satisfied with the ideas for the final area(s). One of the main concepts is just chucking a long series of Draugr Deathlords at you as an obstacle, which is difficult, in a sense, but is undercut as long as you make sure to frequently save during the interruptions. There's a subboss before the final boss who may be easy or difficult depending on the time of day (I think). I fought it at night, and it ended up being pretty easy.

Special note: I did not realize how easy Block as a skill was to level up! I eliminated all but one of the Deathlords and just let him wail away on my shield for about 10-15 minutes and gained 3 overall levels.

I like to see Lizard-man Keith running around in his fancy armor. I tried 1st person for a while and didn't like it. I don't have any problems with fighting or picking stuff up though. That's what the crosshairs are for

Odd. I guess to each their own. It drives me mad! I just enjoy doing it when I'm running from one destination to the other because it looks cooler.

Daniel Craig wears a tiara though. It was a really good tiara that I couldn't pass up on.

so I did that thing where you read a post and only focus on a random part of it and ignore the rest until you read it again later.

Main quest! Yes. Just finished that this last week. I would say.....well, I wasn't satisfied with the ideas for the final area(s). One of the main concepts is just chucking a long series of Draugr Deathlords at you as an obstacle, which is difficult, in a sense, but is undercut as long as you make sure to frequently save during the interruptions. There's a subboss before the final boss who may be easy or difficult depending on the time of day (I think). I fought it at night, and it ended up being pretty easy.

Special note: I did not realize how easy Block as a skill was to level up! I eliminated all but one of the Deathlords and just let him wail away on my shield for about 10-15 minutes and gained 3 overall levels.

Really? My blocking really sucks, then. When I try it, my character grunts with pain and my health goes way down, so I quickly scratched that idea. And I don't like the idea of a long series of Draugr Deathlords. My first and only encounter with one of those ended in me dying after about four hits, but that was a few levels and crappy weapons ago.

Maybe I'll get the hang of all this by the time I start a second game. My first run-through with an Elder Scrolls game is usually just to figure stuff out, and then once I start over I have a better grasp of how things work and make fewer bad decisions, like not raising the Smithing and Block skills right away.

Does anyone else have a terrible weakness to shock spells? It seems like whenever I fight something that uses lightening, it eats up my health really fast. Like that jerk Beem-Ja. He's gonna get it one of these days.

Really? My blocking really sucks, then. When I try it, my character grunts with pain and my health goes way down, so I quickly scratched that idea. And I don't like the idea of a long series of Draugr Deathlords. My first and only encounter with one of those ended in me dying after about four hits, but that was a few levels and crappy weapons ago.

Maybe I'll get the hang of all this by the time I start a second game. My first run-through with an Elder Scrolls game is usually just to figure stuff out, and then once I start over I have a better grasp of how things work and make fewer bad decisions, like not raising the Smithing and Block skills right away.

Does anyone else have a terrible weakness to shock spells? It seems like whenever I fight something that uses lightening, it eats up my health really fast. Like that jerk Beem-Ja. He's gonna get it one of these days.

What level are you at, perchance? I was Level 45-50 so I'd sunk a lot of points in maxing the One Handed weaponry (at 100) and Light Armor (~80) perks. This may not help given what you've already said, but there's a blocking perk fairly high up the tree which cuts all magic damage in half as long as you're actively blocking. My bugaboo was frost damage, and the combination of one hand shielding and the other hand healing helped out some of the Dragon fights. And one of them "cut all frost damage in half" amulets.

What level are you at, perchance? I was Level 45-50 so I'd sunk a lot of points in maxing the One Handed weaponry (at 100) and Light Armor (~80) perks. This may not help given what you've already said, but there's a blocking perk fairly high up the tree which cuts all magic damage in half as long as you're actively blocking. My bugaboo was frost damage, and the combination of one hand shielding and the other hand healing helped out some of the Dragon fights. And one of them "cut all frost damage in half" amulets.

I haven't played in a while, but I think I'm at level 27. Wow, that would be nice to cut magical damage in half! I'll have to work on that. Maybe I'll go find a wolf to block next time I play. I'm also working on getting the shield called Spellbreaker, which reduces magical damage.

I generally only use third person when I want to see how cool my new digs look. Or when I'm fighting and I accidentally hit the wrong button.

I started a secondary account as an Argonian.. I named him Kermit.

Not sure - haven't beaten it.

But if you cannot, the reason will be so that an expansion pack will allow you to just like in Fallout 3.

So when you beat the main quest can you continue playing?

Yup. Dumps you back off in Tamriel, there's a little stylish fanfare and almost-outright declaration that they're gonna drop some extra DLC in the future, and then.....you keep playing.

The most obvious thing to keep doing is finish the Civil War quest- at one point during the main quest if you haven't already outright won a peace treaty is drawn up between the two factions which stays in effect for the rest of the main quest. After the main quest is finished you can start going medieval on those awful Stormcloaks/Imperial pigs.

Also, Dragons still fly around and barbeque you. so no worries giving that up by "winning" the game.

A few other thoughts:
  • It took a little while, but my experience is not marred by PS3 bugs anymore. Weird/wonky things still happen, but the lag spikes that made the game unplayable have been banished.
  • Anyone know the Iron Dagger equivalent of Alchemy? It's my lowest stat and I'm trying to grind away at the skills I've ignored now that my combat skills are almost maxed out.
  • something as simple as giving the Elder Dragon a one-hit kill attack makes fighting them by far the most interesting type to fight. It forces the combat away from the overly effective/simple method of running up and hack-hack-shield bash, and usually makes finding terrain cover the main priority before even considering attacking. I had a great 10 minute battle at the College of Winterhold in both the floor and upper ramparts of the outdoor circular room dodging around pillars and trying to sneak in arrows.

Oh yeah, I saw a Blood Dragon for the first time today! Unfortunately, it randomly spawned by a dragon lair where there was a Frost Dragon. When the game reloaded after I died (of course), I made sure to fight them one at a time. :lol:

Who knows... I'm not about to go and compare pictures!

I dunno, whenever I see him I always get confused for a blood dragon until I realize I can't damage him. He's a troll.

Okay so I completed every quest in the Thieves Guild and now I'm doing those extra jobs to get the achievement for restoring the Guild to its former glory.

I finished Solitude and the bonus mission. I finished Windhelm and the bonus mission. I finished Markarth and the bonus mission.

I've done about 20321 different side missions (when you only need 5) for Whiterun, but the dialogue will not enable for the final bonus mission which will let me get the achievement.

Does anyone know what's up? Is this a bug, or is there more stuff I'm missing, or what?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom