The Elder Scrolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, the bookshelf thing was the first thing I noticed.

Also, I wonder if these broad fixes includes the Thieves Guild, because I can't finish this storyline otherwise.

Yeah, Thieves Guild is really damn bugged. And that patch didn't fix Tonilia.

I'm just imagining myself as in charge of bug testing, and I'm wondering how bad these testers must have been.

First, who coded in the commands so that if you don't have a piece of the Thieves Guild armor, Tonilia will tell you to get lost? Second, what game tester doesn't have the logic to be irresponsible and attempt to talk to her without the armor?

I mean I can't stress it enough. That might not sound like it is that easy to pick out, but game testers' jobs have nothing to do with programming. Their main goal is to make the game crash/find errors in the game. That's a pretty pivotal one, and it has a lot of people pissed off. Plus, the fix is a mere on/off switch in the programming language.

An issue I've been having of late.. and this follows through with every Bethseda game I've played. It's the freezeups. It was going good for awhile but since the last patch I have frozen a fair bit. Twice in the last ten minutes. It's frustrating to me, that, when I want to sell some goods and fast travel, it seems to get chuggy and eventually freeze. I hope they will fix this in another patch. :sigh:

I haven't had issues with freezing Bethesda games since Oblivion on my first run round (around 2008) on my old original xbox 360 console (as opposed to further generations).

I now run on the last generation xbox 360 previous to the slim ones coming out, and have never had an issue.

I've gotten a little bit of everything- dragons flying backwards, random crashes, persistent PS3 framerate lag, and general weird behavior.

Hearing that this is roughly par for the course for Bethesda games irritates me further- despite the technical ambition there's a lot of seemingly obvious lack of polish/loose ends that I think a Nintendo or Valve would have bothered ironing out months ago. Perspective-wise I gotta believe it's not that the people involved in Bethesda's bug testing program are bad, it's that we see the outcome of exactly as much time as the executives schedule for it.

'Cause 11.11.11 is a palindrome so let's push out whatever we have at that point and deal with it with patches.

They'd been working on Skyrim for a very long time. I don't think 11.11.11 was a cut-short deadline. If anything, it was extended. It's my understanding that they started production in like... 2008.

But I think the real problem with Skyrim is that their world is so big which leads you to have so many different people working on different parts that it becomes increasingly hard for review of the content.

I've had some issues as well. Frame lag is probably the most annoying one. It feels like the game is about to crash, but instead it just makes a mess. But other than that, all other issues I've faced are gameplay issues. Quest lines, NPCs, houses, skills, etc.

Those are all incredibly easy to fix. I don't think there's much 'debugging' going on in such a situation. What I mean is that when those problems are discovered, unless it's a big deal, it's usually a simple fix. If that's the case, a lot of this was probably just missed/looked over in the review process.

Crap will get worked out. The patches to fix quests and the like are supposed to begin appearing soon. For obvious reasons, they chose to focus on basic gameplay related issues first.

I understand peoples' frustrations and such, but at the end of the day, this game is less buggy, and plays better across pretty much every platform, than any previous Bethesda title.

I agree that is is the most freeze free Bethseda game I have played. It seems to have sorted itself out. A bit choppy, but also if given time that sorts itself out too.

In noticing the details, today I realized that you could watch the salmon try to jump up waterfalls, as they would in real life to get upstream. Awesome.

And I just had some collaborative help getting a frost dragon down from two mammoths. Great teamwork ;) Probably the fastest I've taken down a frostie so far. I was worried they would charge me afterwards, being so close.. but they just moseyed along.

seemed like the other day i couldn't go an hour without seeing someone make some sort of "i used to [something star wars related], then i took an arrow in the knee" in the general chat in swtor. so i put in chat, 'pffft everyone here knows that "skyrim" in the ancient huttese just means "waiting for swtor."' some dude whispered me a couple minutes later to say he just posted on twitter that he thought it was hilarious (which in and of itself makes me think i've reached a low point in my life, yet it could be worse--i could be the guy who just tweeted he read something funny in the chat box on an mmo).

it does look like a wicked fun game, though, and if i wasn't dedicating life currently all my gaming time to swtor right now, i'd definitely try it out.

I feel like such a loser again. It seems like everything kills me. I finally got a companion to follow me around, but I had to reload once because I accidentally did a finishing move on her while fighting Dwemer spiders. Oops.

The main quest requires me to go back to Markarth, which could be a problem because of the glitch with Escape From Cidhna Mine repeating itself. I haven't gone back yet, but I'm guessing the guards will come after me. Hopefully I can just pay the fine and be done with it.

For the Escape From Cidhna Mine quest you have to submit and let them arrest you. There wont be an option to pay, and if you kill them the quest fails.

is sleeping in inns making a difference for anyone? I heard it raises the level of stat gains, I'm at Level 40+ after about 110 hours played, and am trying to figure out how to get those precious perks quicker. of course, I'm finally a werewolf now so it's not much relief,
but I hear there's some fix later on in the Companions
so it's relevant to my interests. Werewolf carrying capacity is 1900, though, so you know what that means- Dwemer scavenger hunt!

In the last ten hours or so I've learned how useful the conjuration skill is for distracting enemies. The only time I die tends to be when two or more enemies attack at once, and having someone shelling the enemy from afar is quite useful in terms of keeping things manageable. I'd recommend to anyone that they invest a few perks in the novice/adept/dual wielding skills so their flame atronarch keeps the second and third enemies busy.

They'd been working on Skyrim for a very long time. I don't think 11.11.11 was a cut-short deadline. If anything, it was extended. It's my understanding that they started production in like... 2008.
for what it's worth, the Skyrim release date (11.11.11) was announced about a year in advance (December 2010), and my experience with the PS3 version rejects the possibility that the reason the final version was released was because Bethesda had gone through a rigorous testing process and decided that they had nothing left to work on with the final product. I understand that it's difficult to A) manage a giant freaking game like this, and B) do it for a multiple platform release, but the answer to those issues is to either figure out how to handle it or *don't do it*. I think it's a legit area of criticism...not necessarily that either of you are diametrically opposed, but I'd give the potential GOTY edition a 4/5 and the current edition a 3/5.

it's almost sick the times the game puts out 60(?) FPS in places like Windhelm that it otherwise has 0 FPS flashes in. there's something going wrong that's not innate to the mere game design itself. I'm glad to hear I'm somewhat wrong about this being in the trend of Bethesda games.

also, does anyone else get Winterhold, Whiterun and Windhelm confused? I had to edit this post to get it straight.

I get Markarth and Morthal confused. I don't think I've even been to all the cities yet, like Dawnstar and Falkreath.

I've just finished going through a Dwemer ruin for the main quest and no longer have Uthgerd the Unbroken following me, as she was killed by a Falmer Gloomlurker. Blackreach is one of the prettiest places I have ever seen in a game.

It's nice because you have the fortified cities, the cities, and the little towns.

Windhelm is the exception. I hate that place. I used to get Windhelm, Whiterush, and Winterhold confused but now I only get Windhelm and Winterhold confused.

I visited Solitude and then visited Windhelm and my impressions of each city is what made my opinion between the sides.

I assume the decision was clear.

A Dark Brotherhood assassin tried to kill me. They were carrying a contract from someone named Astrid who wants me dead. :scratch: I don't remember who that is or what I did to them. It was funny, because the assassin was trying to slowly sneak up on me in the middle of a road in broad daylight while I was looking right at them. :lol: I thought, what is this person doing...?

Interesting. I didn't know there were multiple ways to start The Dark Brotherhood quests.

I assume if you killed him you're going to get an invite.

Interesting. I didn't know there were multiple ways to start The Dark Brotherhood quests.

I assume if you killed him you're going to get an invite.

I was only aware of the normal method. I spent a long time dicking around before finally starting the Dark Brotherhood quest, so I ended up accruing about 5 Dark Brotherhood Assassin's Notes from their laughable corpses. Certainly did make me feel like a bad ass, though.

One of my favorite subtle moments so far was having a Thief pop out of the bushes and hold me at knifepoint, before realizing I was part of the Guild and amiably walking away.

I like to imagine I have firm anti-daedra principles, so I've been staring at the Oghma Infinium for awhile and not using it. But I'm reaching the point where I have to start grinding other skills in order to keep accumulating perks, so I might as well read the damn thing and, I dunno, pee on Hermaus Mora's statue or something.

Upon further reading it sounds like you pretty much have the option to join or hunt/destroy the Dark Brotherhood.

I can tell you one thing... joining them is both more fun and achievement based.

But apparently there are several ways to engage in their joining.

I'll probably join them eventually, but I'm sure I'll feel guilty about it. I read that
Shadowmere
is not invincible like in Oblivion, so that's a bummer. I don't like having things follow me around unless they're invincible, because they're just gonna die eventually, anyway.

Also, I read that
There's a dragon in Blackreach, but it only shows up if you use Unrelenting Force at the glowing yellow orb in there. I never would have figured that out on my own! I usually don't mind spoilers like that. So I'm definitely going back there to do that and look for more Crimson Nirnroots.

I don't mind spoilers like that, either.

As for Shadowmere, his HP is ridiculously high. For all intents and purposes, unless you're trying to kill him, he will never die.

Oh OK, that's good to know.

I'm almost done with the main quest. The Wiki says that the last part is difficult because it's one of those situations where you're in a certain place and can't leave until you finish it. Should I invest in a ton of health potions first or just go for it?

Here's the Wiki if anyone needs it; it's very informative about all of the Elder Scrolls games:
UESPWiki

Also, am I the only one that plays this almost exclusively in 3rd person?

eww no way. Sometimes I run in third person, but other than that there's no way I could play the game so. I do too many ranged attacks, which have an awful feel for them in 3rd person.

Third person ruins the immersion and combat is too difficult and awkward that way, as is talking to people, picking up small objects... Actually, everything. I tried it when I first played Morrowind and stopped after I tried to hack at enemies and realized I was aiming straight down at the ground (although I'm sure Skyrim's third person is way better than Morrowind's).

Back
Top Bottom