The Android Invasion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
We all know of the android platform by now. Developed by google in partnership with several carriers. Well Android is about to have a huge boost as Verizon Wireless is about to release their first android phone called "Droid"

Read the info here about the droid. I just might break my contract and jump over to verizon for this.

Droid – the First Motorola Android-based Phone | High Tech Lounge

Droid – the First Motorola Android-based Phone
21st October, 2009 by Adina

Motorola Droid – Google’s Secret Weapon against iPhone
Motorola will soon come with its first mobile device developed in partnership with Google to feature the next-generation open Android platform phone, named Droid. It is slightly thicker than the iPhone but has the thinnest touch QWERTY slider available on the market. It seems to be the fastest Android device and it’s no surprise because it has an ARM Cortex A8 TI OMAP3430 processor. The display, according to the FCC information, is a massive high 854×480 pixels resolution, which is 2-3 times the space as the Palm Pre, Android G1 or iPhone.

Motorola Droid is 3G-capable. Its industry-leading 3.7-inch display allows the best view of websites and easily zooms with a double tap for faster navigating. Due to its powerful processor, Flash and full HTML browser, Droid delivers Web pages, 3D graphics and videos up to two-times faster than other devices, in beautiful 16-million color high-definition.

Its 16:9 high-resolution screen frame is ideal for watching clips or downloaded videos, and playback and YouTube upload over 3G Wi-Fi can be watched at DVD quality video. A built-in 5 megapixel camera provided with dual LED flash has the quality of a dedicated digital camera with auto focus and zoom. Users can store up to 16GB of content or insert a memory card up to 32GB.

Motorola Droid sets new standards for smartphones. The power of Web search gets a new meaning. Motorola Droid allows you to type or speak your search with voice command, and you get results from the web, but also anything you want – contacts, music, photos, applications and more. You don’t have to dig into menus anymore to find what you need; everything is available from the home screen.

Droid is for costumers looking for an ultimate web browsing experience.

Motorola Droid will be available on the 1st of December in North America, exclusively on Verizon Wireless.

YouTube - HELLOMOTODROID

i am thinking about getting a HTC Hero or HTC Dream or HTC Magic off-contract but the prices are still fairly high here in Canada.

I also found out about the Sciphone N12, a KIRK phone with 3G, quad-band, Wifi, real Android OS, at about $200 off-contract.

Anyone have experience with HTC Android phones or Schiphone Android phones?

though its running on Windows Mobile, I have an HTC Touch and it is by far the worst phone I have ever owned. I cant stress enough how much I hate it

I will dismiss the comments on the HTC Touch as that phone doesnt interest me at all. I am also interested in knowing of other Android based phones from Moto, Samsung, etc if people have those...

The HTC Hero has received some good reviews so :shrug:
Maybe Google is running the show over at HTC now, especially since the G1....

i love my htc magic. my fiancee has the htc dream and i prefer that just because i prefer the psychical keyboard, but that's just me. i'd roll with the dream, because you can still get the on-screen keyboard if you want it instead of the physical keyboard.

I will dismiss the comments on the HTC Touch as that phone doesnt interest me at all.

Fair enough man. I just didnt know if the problems were brand wide or just confined to the Touch, so I thought I'd give you some heads up

I am definitely an Apple fan, but it's good to see the market finally getting around to challenging the iPhone. Increased competittion will benefit us all in the end as consumers.

How are Android OS phones are on battery life? The critical reason the iPhone doesn't allow multitasking is because it's a battery-killer, just as gaming is, I think.

The mobile space is going to see some really interesting stuff in the coming years, though as of now no competing OS can ever hope to replicate the momentum and sheer ubiquity of the iTunes Music Store and the App Store.

It can last all day. I used my phone from 7am to 12am this past Saturday and all Sunday during the Rose Bowl Concert.

I know the G1 had battery issues. The Mytouch 3G improved on battery performance.

I'm considering replacing my iPhone with the Droid. The whole Google Voice debacle really put me over the edge.

I had an iPhone and now I'm using a G1. While I don't dislike the G1, the iPhone is a much better. Battery in the G1 is terrible, I often have to turnoff auto sync otherwise my battery won't last the whole day (even with very little web browsing and emailing). The apps in the Android Market are getting better and I do see the next generations of Android-powered phones as good competitors to the iPhone.

I jumped on board in May. I have an HTC Incredible and absolutely love it. It's lightning fast, can play some flash content, and as a bonus is on Verizon's network.

I love HTC's sense UI on top of android as it makes the home screens look slick. As a mostly useless feature I also love the "live" wallpaper. My current one is the Nexus One version.

I don't see myself jumping to an iPhone anytime soon.

I just bought the Sprint HTC Evo about a week ago and boy is it fast. The screen is beautiful and the kickstand is pretty cool. What I can't wait for is the 2.2 Froyo update. You will be able to stream all your Non-DRM music from your computer to your phone. Flash 10.1 is coming to Android also.

i'm still on blackberry for now, but my newevery2 is up in a month for verizon, and no question about it i'm jumping ship to android... and just in time, too.

motoroladroidxengadget01.jpg

I could never imagine giving up my Blackberry but I was in the Sprint store one day and played around with a Hero and went back the next day and bought one. I would love to have the Evo but I'll probably wait a year so I can use an upgrade.

Yeah the galaxy s is pretty sweet. It comes out today for ATT and its called "captivate"

I'm puttering along with my 2 and 1/2 year old first gen iPhone.

I am mostly content, biggest gripe is dropped calls, or calls I don't get that end up on voice mail.
I guess that is an AT&T issue. I do like my wifi/ browsing and app usage.

Anyways I was expecting to upgrade to the iPhone 4 by the end of the year.

Now I am thinking I should get the Droid on Sprit, that will be on 4G?

Just trying to figure out who will have their 4G network up in LA/ Orange County area of CA first, Sprint or Verizon?

I just got the Samsung Captivate, which is a rebranded Samsung Galaxy S. It's a really great phone and I'm loving the freedom that Android offers.

I heard that Samsung was contacting people that were on Tweeter complaining about the iPhone and they got the Galaxy S for free.

Anyone have any app recommendations? So far I've got:
- Advanced Task Killer
- Aldiko
- Amazon MP3
- Astrid Tasks
- Barcode Scanner
- Congress
- doubleTwist
- Easy Money
- eBay
- Google Earth
- Google Listen
- Google Maps Navigation
- Google Scoreboard
- Google Sky Map
- Google Translate
- iheartradio
- imeem Mobile
- Last.fm
- Layar
- Moodagent
- My Tracks
- OpenSudoku
- Photoshop Mobile
- Ringdroid
- Real Blackjack
- Shazam
- Shopping List
- Solitaire
- SoundHound
- The Weather Channel
- Urbanspoon
- Word Search
- Word Up!
- Yahoo! Music

I like Skyfire as a web browser as it will play videos that the native browser doesn't.

I highly recommend AppBrain as it lists all the programs you've downloaded. It's very useful should you lose your phone because you can then just reinstall the programs to the new phone.

Back
Top Bottom