The Android Invasion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes it does

with my advanced years and eyesight, I may even consider the Note
I checked it out, the size and weight was not as bad as I thought, it will fairly easily fit in my pockets

if I don't do that
I may break down and buy an iPad, not sure if any of the Android tablets would be as good

but then the dilemma with a tablet, would I be better off adding a few more $$ and getting a good ultralight notebook

I've had my Captivate Glide for 7 months now, and it's still blazing fast. It has the occasional freeze, but it's nothing major. Battery life is very good, I can make it through a day with quite a bit of use (many texts, occasional phone call, browsing, and quite a bit of streaming music). I'm still patiently awaiting ICS, though. I've thought about rooting and flashing a ROM, but I've looked through the ROM's for the Glide, and none of them look too amazing (and the selection isn't very large). Some of the ROM's I've seen for phones like the Galaxy Nexus and S2 look :drool: though.

Does anybody have an officially upgraded Galaxy S2 or Note? If so, what are the changes to TouchWiz? Are there many, or any?

P.S. I highly recommend this app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mysticdeath.md_gs_app

It's called Dood's Music Streamer. It's basically Grooveshark, under a mask. It pulls all of it's music library from Groovesharks library (it doesn't have everything, but it has a lot, including some bootlegs), and best of all, it's 100% free. :up:

I don't have an officially upgraded S2, but I can say that I have access to a couple ICS leaks for the S2. TouchWiz looks excellent. Personally, I prefer the stock CM9 look, but it still looks sharp.

I've used Dood's before. I ended up going with a Spotify subscription but I still did like that app back in the day.

I've been using cm9 and loving it. Mikal question, when you flashed cm9 did you still have cwm?

On another note, apple is once again suing HTC and Samsung over some patent. I think they are afraid. Carry on?

Quite frankly, I think all the suing Apple is doing is downright hilarious. The iPhone is a good phone, but put it next to about any mid to high end Android released in the past year, and it's no contest. I mean come on, for the same price as the cheapest iPhone 4S, you can get a brand new One X or Galaxy S3 (when it is released).

It's funny.

Justin24 said:
I've been using cm9 and loving it. Mikal question, when you flashed cm9 did you still have cwm?

No. I can forward you the cm9 kernel with cwm though. Just pm me your email and I'll forward it. :)

If any one has a upgrade coming I suggest getting the new Galaxy S3.

The S3 looks sweet. I currently have the Galaxy Nexus and love it, but my next phone could/should be the S3.

I'm due for an upgrade right around November when the S3 is officially available in the US. I'm definetly leaning on getting one. However I was really disappointed that the US version will only have the Qualcom Snapdragon (dual) processor and not the Quad Four that got me all hot and bothered. Further still I hear each carrier will carry different versions as well. I guess I'll have to get a friend from overseas to get an unlocked version for me.

I'm due for an upgrade right around November when the S3 is officially available in the US. I'm definetly leaning on getting one. However I was really disappointed that the US version will only have the Qualcom Snapdragon (dual) processor and not the Quad Four that got me all hot and bothered. Further still I hear each carrier will carry different versions as well. I guess I'll have to get a friend from overseas to get an unlocked version for me.
It's only got the dual core (which is still very fast) because the Quad Core processors don't support 4G LTE (yet). However, it seems that the versions will all be pretty much identical across the major US networks, except for connectivity...

It's really what you want, LTE or Quad Core.

Maybe it's because I'm a brand new owner of an S2 and I'm using most of the new S3 apps, but I have no interest in any upgrade at this point. I'll be eligible in February of 2014, then I'm sure I'll be ready for a brand new shiny device. I definitely prefer to skip generations though. Helps it truly feel like a big upgrade. :)

That's the most interesting thing about phones nowadays. I just got my new phone in November, so it'll be late 2013 before I'm eligible for a new upgrade. Who knows what the technology will be then...

That's the most interesting thing about phones nowadays. I just got my new phone in November, so it'll be late 2013 before I'm eligible for a new upgrade. Who knows what the technology will be then...

:up:

Exactly. I know some people that constantly upgrade and sell the old ones on Craigslist. I just don't see the point unless the specs are that much different.

I just went from a 600mhz single core arm6 processor to a 1.2 Dual Core arm7 and it's like night and day. that's the kind of upgrades I like, lol!

Maybe it's because I'm a brand new owner of an S2 and I'm using most of the new S3 apps, but I have no interest in any upgrade at this point. I'll be eligible in February of 2014, then I'm sure I'll be ready for a brand new shiny device. I definitely prefer to skip generations though. Helps it truly feel like a big upgrade. :)
same here. the last phone i only had for a year but i only kept it for so little because things stopped working on it. plus i switched carriers so i had the ability to upgrade, and my old phone wasn't getting ics i don't think. but i prefer to wait about two years (or at least 18 months) so i can really notice the difference. if i were to get the s3 i'd probably be thinking "gee, it doesn't seem that much faster..." but if i get the s4 when that comes out next year? it'll seem amazing, i'm sure.

i know someone who works for t-mobile though and he upgrades all the time, but then again he also has worked there so long that he gets two free upgrades (yep, any two phones, i hate him) every year. so why not upgrade all the time then?

My G2's due for upgrade in December. I'm so excited, I can't wait to see what's up by then. Hopefully this thread will steer me in the right direction :wink:

bono_212 said:
My G2's due for upgrade in December. I'm so excited, I can't wait to see what's up by then. Hopefully this thread will steer me in the right direction :wink:

Word has it that the Galaxy Nexus series is going to expand to 4 different models by the end of the year, so that's something to consider.

KhanadaRhodes said:
same here. the last phone i only had for a year but i only kept it for so little because things stopped working on it. plus i switched carriers so i had the ability to upgrade, and my old phone wasn't getting ics i don't think. but i prefer to wait about two years (or at least 18 months) so i can really notice the difference. if i were to get the s3 i'd probably be thinking "gee, it doesn't seem that much faster..." but if i get the s4 when that comes out next year? it'll seem amazing, i'm sure.

i know someone who works for t-mobile though and he upgrades all the time, but then again he also has worked there so long that he gets two free upgrades (yep, any two phones, i hate him) every year. so why not upgrade all the time then?

Yeah and the s3 doesn't really bore the s2 away spec-wise. Its just a little bigger and has some cool new apps, though if you search xda forums enough, you can find most of them already. :)

exactly.

(just so it doesn't seem like my two posts are contradicting each other, i love my s2 so if someone were looking to upgrade their phone and liked androids i'd suggest the s3, lol.)

I am a Sprint customer and have the Galaxy S2 and love it. But if you plan on getting a new phone, go with the Galaxy S3.

Is there anything on the books that might top the S3? I mean we're talking about 6 months from now...

bono_212 said:
Is there anything on the books that might top the S3? I mean we're talking about 6 months from now...

Supposedly, the Galaxy Nexus series is going to be expanding by the end of the year to 4 phones.

Wish I could go to the Google I/O event in San Francisco. Always like the freebies they give away.

Back
Top Bottom