The Android Invasion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah but it's worth almost bricking the phone. Droids are just so fun to customize. Right now I have a transparent status bar and custom colors and icons. Good stuff.
Interestingly enough, I was reading a user interface design study recently that said only about 5% of users bother to customize their devices' software to their own liking. I'm partial to Android but that might explain why many people flock to the one-size fits all mentality of iOS.

Anyway, I am in this thread because I am looking at getting an Android smartphone because I don't want to be mugged while walking around with an iPhone.

Do you have any recs about which model to get, keeping the following two things in mind:

• I am looking for an Android smartphone that has as little carrier-specific shit tacked onto the OS as possible; one of the big minus points of Android is that it is like Windows PCs: every carrier seems to want to throw their own shitty skin over it and it ruins the experience
  • I'm looking for a handset that will be current enough, but it doesn't need to be cutting edge as I'd rather get something that will be <100$ with a contract

Hey Canadiens. If you want as little bloatware or any bloatware, then go for the google phones. I don't know what carriers you have up north but the Nexus phones are the way to go from what your asking. The Nexus S is about a year old and I think is either Free with a contract or 100.00 with contract. The New Nexus Prime is being announced next week,but is only on Verizon.

I'm in the market for a phone and am considering an iPhone. So, I ask you, brethren of the Android, why should I buy an Android instead of an iPhone?

downloadspeeds_01.jpg

uploadspeeds_01.jpg

Anything else?

You have more choice Phil not only from various carriers but you get to customize it to your liking. Android is always ahead of the competition as far as innovation goes too

the iPhone is simple, clean and effective. it does it's job. it's easy for your mom to pick up and go "ohhh, yay i have apps!"

android is not as easy. there's a slight learning curve to android, especially if you want to take advantage of the full experience. but when it's all said and done, android phones are faster, quicker and more powerful than anything apple puts out.

hey need more reason? didn't ask? oh well, you're getting it anyways!

if you're anything like me, your phone goes crashing to the ground on a semi-regular basis.

iPhone 4S vs. Samsung Galaxy S II Drop Test - YouTube

my droid x has fallen to the ground... be it in my apartment, at work, in a bar, on a city street... probably at least 100 times in just about 2 years now. there is no damage to the screen whatsoever, with just a few minimal scratches around the casing. oh, and i don't have a cell phone case at all... so this is just the phone crashing to the ground on it's own. zero damage to the screen.

Same with my G2. I can't believe I haven't smashed the screen yet. I worry about how frequently I drop shit, especially this phone.

I have had to have my iPhone glass replaced at least 4-5 times in 3 years 10 months. First time was $200 at Apple all the rest have been $100 at a little watch repair shop, while I wait. They have a great side business, repairing iPhones, (and unlocking them) they are near a college

Hey Canadiens. If you want as little bloatware or any bloatware, then go for the google phones. I don't know what carriers you have up north but the Nexus phones are the way to go from what your asking. The Nexus S is about a year old and I think is either Free with a contract or 100.00 with contract. The New Nexus Prime is being announced next week,but is only on Verizon.

Hello Justin,

I am back to leaning Android, and I think I want to go with the Nexus by Google, it seems there is less or no bloat-ware, and the OS upgrades should go most smoothly, if my research is correct. The thing I am having difficulty finding is which phones are the Nexus phones. I thought Nexus was a manufacturer, like HTC, etc. But is that the case? Or are the Nexus phones made by more than one manufacturer?

Ok, so doing some more research, it looks like Samsung will be releasing new Nexus phones this week, with the new OS, Ice Cream.

I guess I will read up on all the reviews, once they hit.

the nexus phones have... nexus in their name :wink:

manufacturers compete for the right to make the next "nexus" phone, which is sanctioned by Google themselves as THE android phone for that particular OS. samsung has been the nexus maker of choice lately. the galaxy nexus is supposed to be announced today, to be released in early november. this WILL be my next phone.

the specs are starting to get confirmed before tonight's press conference...

Model: GT-I9250, GT-I9250T, GT-I9250M, SC-04D, SCH-I515

dimensions (length x width x thickness): 136.0 × 68.0 × 8.8 fine piece - 11.5 thickest part

Weight: Approximately 135.0 (g)

Chipset: Texas Instruments Omap4460 CPU: ARM Cortex-A9 MP Core SMP (Dual-Core)

CPU operating frequency: 1.2 GHz

GPU: PowerVR SGX 540 Immage Technologies

Communication Systems (GT-I9250/GT-I9250M/GT-I9250M/SC-04D): W-CDMA, GSM phone (SCH-I515): LTE, CDMA2000 Packet (GT-I9250/GT-I9250M / GT-I9250M/SC -04D): HSPA, EDGE, GPRS (SCH-I515): LTE, EV-DO Rev.

Display: AMOLED HD: 4.65 inches Resolution 720 x1280) Maximum number of simultaneous colors Main Display: 16,777,216 color touch screen: capacitive (multi-touch),

Main camera: 5 megapixel CMOS camera with LED flash Video recording 1080pHD (1920 * 1080)

Front camera: 1.3 million pixels CMOS

GPS

NFC

Micro USB 2.0

Communications Bluetooth 3.0 + HS

Wireless LAN Communication: IEEE 802.11 a / ​​b / g / n (2.4 GHz Dual-Band 5.xGHz)

Tethering

Wi-Fi Direct

RAM: 1GB

ROM: 16/32GB:

Battery Capacity: 1750mAh

Notification LED

samsung-galaxy-nexus.jpg

this is the main reason why i'm so looking forward to getting my galaxy nexus... Near Field Communication.

a demonstration of how NFC will work, using Google Wallet...

Google Wallet taxicab demo - YouTube

... and to think some people think having your voice commands talk to you is "innovation."

NFC is a truly revolutionary idea in the smart phone market, and android is leading the way.

it's not just about making payments, which you will be able to do anywhere where you can do a tap and pay with your credit/debit card now. it's so much more...

Social networking
-NFC simplifies and expands social networking options:
-File Sharing: Tap one NFC device to another to instantly share a contact, photo, song, application, video, or website link
-Electronic business card: Tap one NFC device to another to instantly share electronic business cards or resumes.
-Electronic money: To pay a friend, you could tap the devices and enter the amount of the payment.
-Mobile gaming: Tap one NFC device to another to enter a multiplayer game
-Friend-to-friend: You could touch NFC devices together to Facebook friend each other or share a resume or to "check-in" at a location.

Bluetooth and WiFi Connections
-NFC can be used to initiate higher speed wireless connections for expanded content sharing.
-Bluetooth: Instant Bluetooth Pairing can save searching, waiting, and entering codes. Touch the NFC devices together for instant pairing.
-WiFi: Instant WiFi Configuration can configure a device to a WiFi network automatically. Tap an NFC device to an NFC enabled router.

eCommerce
-NFC expands eCommerce opportunities, increases transaction speed and accuracy, while reducing staffing requirements. A Personal identification number (PIN) is usually only required for payments over $100 (in Australia) and £15 (in UK)
-Mobile payment: An NFC device may make a payment like a credit card by touching a payment terminal at checkout or a vending machine when a PIN is entered
-PayPal: PayPal may start a commercial NFC service in the second half of 2011.
-Google Wallet is an Android app that stores virtual versions of your credit cards for use at checkout when a PIN is used.
-Ticketing: Tap an NFC device to purchase rail, metro, airline, movie, concert, or event tickets. A PIN is required
-Boarding pass: A NFC device may act as a boarding pass, reducing check-in delays and staffing requirements
-Point of Sale: Tap an SmartPoster tag to see information, listen to an audio clip, watch a video, or see a movie trailer
-Coupons: Tapping an NFC tag on a retail display or SmartPoster may give the user a coupon for the product
-Tour guide: Tap a passive NFC tag for information or an audio or video presentation at a museum, monument, or retail display (much like a QR Code)

Identity documents
-NFC's short range helps keep encrypted identity documents private
-ID card: An NFC enabled device can also act as an encrypted student, employee, or personal ID card or medical ID card
-Keycard: An NFC enabled device may serve as car, house, and office keys
-Rental Car and hotel keys: NFC rental car or hotel room keys may allow fast VIP check-in and reduce staffing requirements

Interestingly enough, I was reading a user interface design study recently that said only about 5% of users bother to customize their devices' software to their own liking. I'm partial to Android but that might explain why many people flock to the one-size fits all mentality of iOS.

Anyway, I am in this thread because I am looking at getting an Android smartphone because I don't want to be mugged while walking around with an iPhone.

Do you have any recs about which model to get, keeping the following two things in mind:

• I am looking for an Android smartphone that has as little carrier-specific shit tacked onto the OS as possible; one of the big minus points of Android is that it is like Windows PCs: every carrier seems to want to throw their own shitty skin over it and it ruins the experience
  • I'm looking for a handset that will be current enough, but it doesn't need to be cutting edge as I'd rather get something that will be <100$ with a contract

i personally have the Optimus V with Virgin Mobile. it's a great little phone and of course i have no contract. you can get the phone for about $140 now.

it has a little bit of bloatware, but if you root the phone (which is very simple with LG) you can remove all of it.

Hey Deep great to see you coming back to Android. As Headache said Nexus is the name Google calls their phones. The new one Nexus Prime or Samsung Nexus will be announced later today. The price range on contract should be about the same $199.99

I didn't know that about Nexus :doh:

I really kind of have a huge bias against Samsung phones though...but having the most optimized phone would be nice.

Be advised apple will try and sue saying Google is stealing its patents or release this with iPhone 5s saying they created it first calling it magical and the sheeps will neeeeh

The reason so many people, tech people included, choose iPhone is because of the stability and simplicity of updates. On paper and in peak demo conditions .0 updates of Android look great, but with all the manufacturer skinning, carrier bloatware and hardware differences your mileage greatly varies if you don't have a Nexus device. Many an Android phone becomes ineligible for the latest update within months of its release. Contrast that with the 27 month old iPhone 3GS getting iOS5 the second it was released.

As to the new features, I'd love for it to be an awesome upgrade (regardless of which side you take, new features on both sides drives innovation), I have used Android quite a bit and in HTC's hands it is quite capable (or stock from Google, but again there are very few handsets out there running that), but let's just remember how the demo potential of Honeycomb turned out, half-baked.

I'm not going to lie and say there aren't things that are getting dated on iOS, but it is never fragmented, the core OS crashes far less than any other mobile system, it has exponentially more apps for both phones and tablets and like it or hate it the rigorous standards creates high standards for programs and prevents the spyware/virus proliferation present in the Android Market. Not to mention the seamless syncing of iCloud.

Solidity and simplicity is what keeps the iPhone as the highest selling handset, and if you're enough of a power-user to get really into customization, you can do that too by participating in the jailbreak community. But hey, they both coexist, and everyone can make their own choice. Neither is going to 'kill' the other, they're just collaboratively hammering the nails into Symbian, Blackberry and WebOS' coffins.

Also, people can argue until the cows come home about a 3.5" screen being small, but as awesome as many of the features are on the Nexus Galaxy, 4.65" is ridiculous, the thing is far too large.

I assume, like the iPhone, none of these awesome things effect me in the slightest, because I have a t-mobile phone.

The reason so many people, tech people included, choose iPhone is because of the stability and simplicity of updates. On paper and in peak demo conditions .0 updates of Android look great, but with all the manufacturer skinning, carrier bloatware and hardware differences your mileage greatly varies if you don't have a Nexus device. Many an Android phone becomes ineligible for the latest update within months of its release. Contrast that with the 27 month old iPhone 3GS getting iOS5 the second it was released.

As to the new features, I'd love for it to be an awesome upgrade (regardless of which side you take, new features on both sides drives innovation), I have used Android quite a bit and in HTC's hands it is quite capable (or stock from Google, but again there are very few handsets out there running that), but let's just remember how the demo potential of Honeycomb turned out, half-baked.

I'm not going to lie and say there aren't things that are getting dated on iOS, but it is never fragmented, the core OS crashes far less than any other mobile system, it has exponentially more apps for both phones and tablets and like it or hate it the rigorous standards creates high standards for programs and prevents the spyware/virus proliferation present in the Android Market. Not to mention the seamless syncing of iCloud.

Solidity and simplicity is what keeps the iPhone as the highest selling handset, and if you're enough of a power-user to get really into customization, you can do that too by participating in the jailbreak community. But hey, they both coexist, and everyone can make their own choice. Neither is going to 'kill' the other, they're just collaboratively hammering the nails into Symbian, Blackberry and WebOS' coffins.

Also, people can argue until the cows come home about a 3.5" screen being small, but as awesome as many of the features are on the Nexus Galaxy, 4.65" is ridiculous, the thing is far too large.

okay i'll bite.

i fully agree that the iPhone is popular because of it's simplicity of use. grandma can pick it up and go "oooh look, i have apps!"

manufacturer skinning can be an issue, especially with lower end phones. but there's the thing... there are lower end phones. there are choices. one can choose which phone they'd prefer. the savvy consumer can research what best fits their needs, which custom skins from different companies might be best suited to them, and pick the phone that is right to them... and then customize it to their exact liking once they have it.

again... the iPhone is simpler in this. it is what it is. it's whatever apple puts out. there's no choice, and for some that's a good thing. it isn't for me.

there is no "proliferation" of spyware in the android market. much like your home PC, stupid is as stupid does. if you download whore date, or other sketchy looking apps... well, you sorta deserve to get your phone shit on, just like those who get e-mails from nigerian princes and click every link deserve the trojan horses that are sure to follow.

again, that is one advantage of the iPhone. it's dumber. it won't let you do things to your phone it doesn't want you to do. it's a fully closed environment. there is something to be said about that. but the developer community around android is what pushes it's innovation, and what has lead to this release, which frankly makes iOS 5 look silly.

and speaking of iOS 5... my fiance has an iPhone. it annoys me, but it is what it is. she has the iPhone 4. she used to have the iPhone 3GS. when iOS 4 came out, she installed it onto the 3GS. the phone became a slow, unresponsive piece of shit. it's what eventually lead to her going out and getting the 4... the phone just stunk with iOS 4. so iOS 5 may be out there, but i'm gonna guess that it isn't exactly too snappy on any iPhone below the 4.

screen too large? i beg to differ, but i suppose that's a personal preference. my droid X is also a very large device. i've never thought "damn, this thing is clunky in my pocket." thickness (or thinness) is much more important than length when it comes to sliding a phone into your pocket. these android phones are incredibly thin. thinner than the iPhone.

ya know... i used to care about apple's domination. it used to bother me, because i felt the product was so inferior. now i don't really care. let them be the big dog. the out of the gate success of the iPhone 4s proved that apple is a run away machine, and that people will buy a pile of dog poop if you slap a half bitten piece of fruit on the back. :shrug: that's on them. when someone would show me their new iPhone i used to roll my eyes and get agitated. now i simply go, "oh, cool," and let them merely go their way, baaaa'ing all the way home.

if someone asks me for an opinion, i say this... if you want something that's very easy to use and dumbed down, go get yourself an iPhone. if you want a powerful device that you customize to your exact specifications... and not even talking about the power and potential of custom ROMS... get yourself a top of the line Android.

I really want an app like MotoBlur's Happenings. I've been using Tweetdeck since I got my G2, but I can not stand the way it gives me blank updates if someone just posts a link, or how it shows some strangers twitter profile if someone I follow retweets them, but doesn't show me who the tweeter is. I could just use the Twitter widget and Facebook widget separately, since they're both competent, but I want it on my home screen, and there's not enough room for them with my news and circle launcher apps, and those aren't moving.

Back
Top Bottom