The Android Invasion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So? Apple hired the designer who created the notification system for WebOS last year, and the entire basis of the Android platform was a take off on the feel of the dominant OS of the time of its mainstream launch, iOS (look back at early pre-Google Android prototypes and you'll see how it was initially a take-off of Blackberry), everyone borrows from everyone, and all the platforms (if the imitation is pulled off well) end up the better for it. That is as long as they each keep innovating as well.

But the innovation isn't really there, but apple continues to pretend away like they're the only company out there doing anything new. It's. Frustrated mevfor years, and I used to be a huge apple nerd.

But the innovation isn't really there, but apple continues to pretend away like they're the only company out there doing anything new. It's. Frustrated mevfor years, and I used to be a huge apple nerd.

This.

It's not that apple rips other people off that bothers me. Everyone rips each other off. Almost any business model for any type of product borrows the good things from something else.

My issue is how Apple and all the Apple Fan Boys go nutso as if the iPhone is actually breaking new ground on each release. The original iPhone broke new ground. Every one after that hasn't, especially the iPhone 4.

I was dying for an iPhone when it first came out, but it wasn't on Verizon. So I waited. And I waited. And by the time the iPhone finally came to Verizon, I already had a phone in my pocket that was more powerful and fully customizable, so I never even gave a thought to picking up an iPhone, and frankly just laughed at their "this changes everything... again" tag line. No, it didn't.

And now Apple puts out a faster iPhone 4, with a few added bells and whistles that have been readily available on other operating systems for a long time now, and claim that it's the fucking cat's meow and everyone must bow in their glory...

...meanwhile Samsung and Google are getting ready to shit in Apple's hat next Tuesday.

Screen-shot-2011-10-05-at-9.28.47-AM.png

what amazes me is that Apple went down this road before... making their OS exclusive to only their products. It allowed Microsoft to blow by them in the race for the soul of the PC and become the biggest company in the world. And now Apple's doing it again. Baffles the mind.

Exclusivity stymies innovation.

oh, and PS... early presale numbers suggest that the android powered Kindle Fire is outpacing the iPad.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
oh, and PS... early presale numbers suggest that the android powered Kindle Fire is outpacing the iPad.
I thought the Kindle Fire was NOT going to be powered by Android?

Oh shit.

Never mind, I think I may try and get one for Christmas after all.

Though, oh my God, I don't want to think about Blur ever again.

I guess next wednesday after the funeral. Did you post any screen shots of your setup on mycolorscreen Headache? Man you should go read some of the shit on Appleinsider saying how Google ripped off the ios 5 stuff LOL.

I haven't... I nearly bricked my phone last weekend trying to flash a rom so I lost my entire setup, and just haven't been motivated to set everything up again when I'm going to get the nexus when it comes out.

I'm on stock gingerbread for now. I may be motivated to set everything up again on Monday when I have off from work.

I haven't... I nearly bricked my phone last weekend trying to flash a rom so I lost my entire setup, and just haven't been motivated to set everything up again when I'm going to get the nexus when it comes out.

I'm on stock gingerbread for now. I may be motivated to set everything up again on Monday when I have off from work.

I've almost bricked mine so many times. Lol

just when I think I am leaning Android, you guys have me leaning back to that damn iphone 4s with the 3.5 " screen.
My 4 year old iphone has been very reliable :shrug:

Yeah but it's worth almost bricking the phone. Droids are just so fun to customize. Right now I have a transparent status bar and custom colors and icons. Good stuff.

I remember when I used to mod my iPod. It was so much nerdy fun, even if I did lose all my music doing it once.

Deep, it's not to hard to root (jailbreak) an android phone and the roms out there are so awesome, going to be rooting my Evo3D soon. I've been tinkering with a setup I like, but every time I go to www.mycolorscreen.com I am like damn mine looks like shit lol. Post some screen shots Mikal.

deep said:
just when I think I am leaning Android, you guys have me leaning back to that damn iphone 4s with the 3.5 " screen.
My 4 year old iphone has been very reliable :shrug:

Look... the iPhone, if anything, is reliable. It's plain, it's simple, it's dumbed down and user friendly to even the most untechnologicaly sound user. That is it's genius. That is why a generation of sheep have hooked on to this product as if it's the greatest thing ever.

But here's the thing... my now fully stock 2 year old DROID X is more powerful than my finance's iPhone 4. Whenever she wants to make a phone call, she either leaves the couch to go to the window so she can get a signal, or she borrows my phone.

The fully stock android experience blows away the iOS experience.

If you don't want to go the full custom ROM route, you don't have to. I ran custom roms without issue for years. Only now have I screwed it up, getting stuck in a boot loop. And even if you do and you fuck your phone up? It took me 20 minutes to unbrick my phone.

The iPhone is so inferior to products readily available it makes me laugh.

The iPhone is the apple 2c. Android phones are windows compatible PCs.

Aa someone who's fully onboard the android bandwagon... i'm much more frightened about windows 8 than I am iOS.

Right on Heachache :applaud:. I've been an Android person since the G1 and you can do so much more and are not told by apple what is best for the user, it should be up to the user what they want.

good stuff. if you're running CM7 Rom, i highly suggest the LunarUI theme for Theme Chooser.

not rooted yet, might try this weekend. Thanks for the heads up Mikal. I'm using Go Launcher and some widgets and custom icons.

Back
Top Bottom