The Android Invasion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
has anyone owned the Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V? i'm switching to Virgin next month because i'm sick of contracts and this phone looks like the shit. keep in mind that i've never had a smartphone before.

I think it's similar to the one I just got, my first smartphone also. I don't consider the Blackberry I had for 3 months all that smart, not compared to the Optimus!!

Anyone check out the new Sprint phone announcement? The EVO 3D. Shoots 3D 720p video and you can watch 1080p video on it. Has a 1.2ghz Dual Core Processor. So tempted.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
I got tired of waiting for gingerbread so I went ahead and rooted my Droid x and flashed liberty 1.5... so much goodness :drool:

Sent from my DROIDX using U2 Fan

I tried liberty early on but decided on the rubix rom. Are you liking the liberty rom?

I have a HTC Desire, I like it very much, great internet connection, can get a little annoyed with the interface tough. But I guess that is because I preferred Apple before. Battery lasts great so far, doesn't seem to be wearing after using it for 2 months non stop.

I got tired of waiting for gingerbread so I went ahead and rooted my Droid x and flashed liberty 1.5... so much goodness :drool:

Hey Shannon can you tell me what is rooting/Liberty and/or why I'd want it? I'm using a stock Android v 2.2.1...I think it's pretty cool, and apparently Gingerbread is going to be released for my phone this spring, but what am I missing with all this rooting/modding stuff?

Hey Shannon can you tell me what is rooting/Liberty and/or why I'd want it? I'm using a stock Android v 2.2.1...I think it's pretty cool, and apparently Gingerbread is going to be released for my phone this spring, but what am I missing with all this rooting/modding stuff?

Rooting is like Jailbreaking your iPhone. With root you can put custom Roms that developers like you and I make. Here are some examples of custom roms you can put on your phone if it is supported.

YouTube - HTC EVO 4G CYANOGENMOD 7 ROM ANDROID 2.3.2 DEMO / PREVIEW

YouTube - MIUI ROM running on the HTC EVO 4G

Now if you do root you void your warrenty and if you don't do it correctly you could brick your phone. If you do it right, then the are limitless possibilities on what you can do with your phone.

thanks for that info justin I have to admit the first video make me wanna stick with my current version whereas the second video really brings teh sexy and makes me wanna try.. what to do? Lol

Now if you do root you void your warrenty and if you don't do it correctly you could brick your phone. If you do it right, then the are limitless possibilities on what you can do with your phone.

yes and no...

it's hard to screw up, unless you're reckless with what you're doing. stick with a "known" mod that's gone through multiple versions... don't be an early adapter, as with most things tech.

as for the voiding of the warranty... technically yes, but it is reversible. you can always reinstall the stock software. if you brick the phone while rooted, that'll be a problem. but there are some un-bricking solutions out there if you look hard enough. no guarantees they'll always work, but it's an option.

Yeah I'm a bit afraid of doing that. This is hands down the best gadget I've ever owned, and coming in from a Blackberry perspective even the standard Android 2.2 is infinitely better so I don't want to mess with it unless it's going to be a significantly better experience!

So far all I've really wanted more is to be able to get navigation thru GPS without having the data turned on.

Which phone do you have GVox? If you don't mind me asking?

I flashed Gingerbread to my phone :D

See, I'm being patient, because HTC Sense is so much better than vanilla Android, and also the updating process is so much more annoying than that of iOS.

google maps & navigation downloads most information so that you can access the maps even when you have no service. i regularly check google maps on the subway in airplane mode...

google navigation is the only one i use. it's never let me down. i was in a rental car that had onstar navigation and it was taking us in circles... google nav on my droid X got us there in no time.

Justin I have the LG Optimus One

Shannon for some reason it takes forever if at all for google maps to load if I leave the data turned off ...i haven't done any serious testing though because usually I just give in and turn the data on :shrug:

hmm, i had the same problem when i got my new phone too. for me i had to go in on the phone and download a map for that region for it to finally work. now though it works fine. the downloads take forever though, but it could just be the slow wifi here.

I think I figured out a workaround...if I fire up the nav and punch in the address before I leave home, ie when I'm still on my wifi, I guess it downloads those directions locally because then when I leave the house I still have full navigation, even with data turned off. I suppose if I wanted to do an address when already out on the road, I'd have to turn data on for a bit to get that. Sounds logical, but still seems a bit pissy..

got'cha... makes sense.

i have an incredible fear of the day that verizon switches to tiered data plans. i know they're already going to it for 4G, which is the number one reason why i want no part of a 4G phone right now. i'm a data hog.

first thing i'd have to do is get a real sirius/xm subscription, 'cause right now i just have the cheapo internet subscription and use my droid to listen to it. it's about 2-3 minutes delayed, but really.. who cares? i'm just listing to opie & anthony... i don't need it for sprts and stuffs.

i miss being able to listen to xm online. it used to be included with certain plans (i have a lifetime subscription which i "gave" to my mom as itdoes me no good atm) but now it's all separate. i miss first wave, though imiss fred even more.

[/offtopic]

Back
Top Bottom