The Android Invasion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Laputa- its an ebook app and you can download tons of free books including the entire harry potter series for free or Ann Rice vampire series.

I just downloaded psx4droid which is a playstation1 emulator. Then you can download ps1 roms and play ps on your phone. If you want the install files I can email it to you.

Ringdroid-create Ringtones from your music files you load on your SD card.

Astro file manager- allows you to unzip files or zip files etc.

Diana, will you be using your phone while you are in Rome? I am curious to see how it works overseas. Oversea coverage is my only hesitation about buying this phone. Not that I travel over there a lot but if I buy this phone and end up going overseas next year, I may have to resort to using my pay as you go phone.

Diana, will you be using your phone while you are in Rome? I am curious to see how it works overseas. Oversea coverage is my only hesitation about buying this phone. Not that I travel over there a lot but if I buy this phone and end up going overseas next year, I may have to resort to using my pay as you go phone.

What carrier do you use - if you are on AT&T or T-Mobile, you should be good with it working overseas - although you don't want to have it on data, except when using wi-fi! But most Android phones should have settings where you can disable data roaming, so you don't get dinged for charges when things auto-update, etc., that's what I did when I went to Canada on my phone.

appearntly Verizon is coming out with a World Android Phone which has CDMA and GSM

Justin, that is what I would prefer and think maybe I should wait on. If Verizon offers it, I would hope Sprint will follow. The reason I bought my blackberry was because of the GSM and CDMA network. I honestly would hate to give it up but again I have a pay as you go Nokia phone, that I could always just buy a SIM card for where I go and use it. Such decisions.

I have Verizon so while I can use my phone, it will only be in areas that have WiFi access.

I'm trying to see if my old BB Storm can be used, otherwise I'm going to need a pay as you go phone. I'm just so spoiled by the awesomeness that is my phone, I don't know what I'll do if I don't have it functional for a week.

That's why I've had T-Mobile and its predecessors all these years. :)
me too! :)

plus what i love is they'll unlock my phone for me. i'm sure other carriers do this too, but it's nice to have. so now that i'm overseas, i just pop in a local sim card and now i have data and everything without the need to pay for roaming, but i still can use my phone.

I haven't seen anything from Sprint about having a world Android phone. Although they said that the WiMax in the Epic and Evo which is 4G is upgradeable to LTE (4G) and I belive your able to use it overseas. State side the Galaxy S (Epic) and Evo are great phones. I don't know why Sprint and Verizon Continue to rely on CDMA.

Now this looks really nice the Samsung Galaxy Tab (An Android Tablet)

Galaxy Tab Apps and Games [Video] | Android Central
Samsung Galaxy Tab Hands On! [Video] | Android Central

Samsung Galaxy Tab Hands On!

Posted on Thursday, Sep 2, 2010 by Dieter Bohn

Samsung Galaxy Tab

We accepted an invite from Samsung to fly out out to IFA to get an early look at the international version of the Samsung Galaxy Tab, their new tablet announced today. You know what that means: Hands-On time!

The Tab is one of many 7 inch tablets about to hit the Market (Samsung is expecting a Q4 release) and it's quite well-done. You'll be forgiven for thinking the Galaxy Tab is just a biggie-sized Galaxy S smartphone running Android 2.2 because, well, that's essentially what it is. To our mind, though, that's not such a bad thing. After the break, find our hands-on video of the device along with some first-look impressions.

At 190.09 x 120.45 x 11.98 mm and 380 grams, the Tab is right at the limit of what you could comfortably hold in one hand for an extended period of time. The bezel around the screen is thick enough to mean you could grip it with your thumb on the front, but we were able to hang on to it as you see in the shot at the top of the post with little trouble.

We do find it a little on the thick and heavy side, but we'll forgive both as it means the Tab is accommodating a 4000mAh battery, which Samsung claims will give the Tab around 7 full hours of video playback. The size means that finger-touch-typing in landscape is a little cramped, but gripping the thing in both hands in portrait mode and banging out messages is an absolute joy - they keyboard feels just slightly bigger than a standard portrait slider like the Epic 4G.

Overall the device feels solid, though the plastics have a slick, glossy look and feel that isn't quite as ambitious as we'd like. The device sports only three buttons: two for volume and one for power. You also have two speakers (fairly loud), one microphone, a rear-facing 3mp camera with flash, and a front-facing 1.3mp camera for video conferencing (Samsung doesn't have any specific videoconferencing software preloaded, but we assume Qik should work). You also have the 4 standard Android Back / Menu / Home / Search buttons on the front, capacitive-style.

Yes, you can make calls directly on the Tab, but we're going to recommend that you use speakerphone or Bluetooth lest you look like a complete sidetalker. It should also fit in large pockets - be they in a sportcoat or cargo pants. Otherwise you'll probably want to think about a case. Speaking of accessories, Samsung will be offing an absolute boatload of them - most of which will be designed to turn the 30 pin connector on the bottom into more useful things like HDMI.

The black front and white rear are a nice look, but it's a look that may or may not survive carrier customization. Speaking of carriers - they're definitely going to be involved as Samsung isn't announcing a WiFi-only version of the device at this time. It's 3G with the 900 / 1900 / 2100 bands and supports WiFi B/G/N.

The screen clocks in at 1024x600 pixels on a standard LCD multitouch display and it operates quite responsively. Overall we were slightly concerned about responsiveness since the Tab is rocking the same 1GHz Coretex A8 / PowerVR SGX540 graphics combo as its smartphone siblings- but once we got to using it we detected no discernable lag. The unit we handed wasn't quite final software and admittedly didn't have a ton loaded on there, but we're not feeling worried about speed here. In fact, Samsung says that the Tab can do full 1080p Playback and like other Galaxy phones fully supports DLNA for shooting your content around to other screens.

As you can see in the video above, we loaded up Glyder 2 and after an initial moment of concern, it played just fine with the build-in accelerometers. As for how other 3rd party Android software handles the non-standard resolution (which technically isn't even supported in the official Android SDK just yet), the jury is still out. We suspect most apps will work just fine at that scale and for those that don't, Samsung has built-in a bit of upscaling wizardry.

Speaking of apps, Samsung has modified TouchWiz 3.0 only very slightly to work on the new Tab. The most notable difference is that the excellent power toggles Samsung puts in the notification area are now joined by a 5th toggle - the orientation lock. The Tab can work in all 4 directions and rotates quickly and cleanly. Mercifully, it doesn't seem to have the hair-trigger on rotation that the iPad does.

Samsung has also introduced custom version of Contacts, Calendar, and an unified email client to work at this resolution. All three are quite nice-looking and take full advantage of the Tab's real estate. We especially like the email client,which sports a unified inbox, quick ways to jump between accounts, and a landscape view that mimics the standard iPad way of displaying the email list on the left, the full message on the right.

Samsung also is bringing two new pieces of software to the table: A Reader Hub and a Music Hub. Both do what you might expect - pull in content from partners for display on the Tab. The Reader Hub grabs Newspapers from PressDisplay, and Magazines from Zinio and Books from Kobo. All display nicely. The Music Hub is a combined music store and player - the music store is powered by 7digital - it's nice but if you don't like it you can still use the default music player.

So how does it stack up? It's comfortable to hold and while it's not as expansive as the iPad, it still feels quite large when you're interacting with content. As far as tablets go, this is probably the perfect 'small tablet' screen size. Speed, responsiveness, and overall feel are excellent. If this device were available in a WiFi-only version we'd buy it in a hot minute.

As it is, we can't say for sure just how the Galaxy Tab will fare - its fate is tied to the release date, carrier customization, and most-of-all app support from developers. It's not enough that the Tab has access to the market, it needs Android apps that by hook-or-crook take advantage of this extra screen size and the powerful processor. Samsung's fate isn't entirely out of their hands, though, as we still have yet to hear the full Media Hub story for getting ahold of video content.

Based on our short time we think the Tab should be on your short list, but while Samsung has made a great device here, the devil will be in those carrier/pricing/app details.

My new phone as of next week:

G2.jpg

HTC Mobile Phones - T-Mobile G2™- Overview

My current phone is not plain Android and has been stuck on 1.5, they've been working on a 2.1 update for nine months now and it will still be outdated by the time its out. Psyched since the G2 plain Android 2.2, hence it will be updated fast, plus all indications are this thing will be pretty blazing (the 800 Mhz is a 2nd gen so performs up there with current 1Ghz), plus rumored additions later are promising... :hyper:

Yeah I heard this thing will be a beast. They did a couple of bench mark tests against some 1ghz phones and this thing beat all of them.

My new phone as of next week:

G2.jpg

HTC Mobile Phones - T-Mobile G2™- Overview

My current phone is not plain Android and has been stuck on 1.5, they've been working on a 2.1 update for nine months now and it will still be outdated by the time its out. Psyched since the G2 plain Android 2.2, hence it will be updated fast, plus all indications are this thing will be pretty blazing (the 800 Mhz is a 2nd gen so performs up there with current 1Ghz), plus rumored additions later are promising... :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom