Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #211
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Yeah but it's worth almost bricking the phone. Droids are just so fun to customize. Right now I have a transparent status bar and custom colors and icons. Good stuff.
Interestingly enough, I was reading a user interface design study recently that said only about 5% of users bother to customize their devices' software to their own liking. I'm partial to Android but that might explain why many people flock to the one-size fits all mentality of iOS.

Anyway, I am in this thread because I am looking at getting an Android smartphone because I don't want to be mugged while walking around with an iPhone.

Do you have any recs about which model to get, keeping the following two things in mind:
  • I am looking for an Android smartphone that has as little carrier-specific shit tacked onto the OS as possible; one of the big minus points of Android is that it is like Windows PCs: every carrier seems to want to throw their own shitty skin over it and it ruins the experience
  • I'm looking for a handset that will be current enough, but it doesn't need to be cutting edge as I'd rather get something that will be <100$ with a contract

Old 10-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #212
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:22 AM
Hey Canadiens. If you want as little bloatware or any bloatware, then go for the google phones. I don't know what carriers you have up north but the Nexus phones are the way to go from what your asking. The Nexus S is about a year old and I think is either Free with a contract or 100.00 with contract. The New Nexus Prime is being announced next week,but is only on Verizon.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #213
Blue Crack Addict

I'm in the market for a phone and am considering an iPhone. So, I ask you, brethren of the Android, why should I buy an Android instead of an iPhone?
Old 10-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #214
Blue Crack Distributor

Anything else?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #215
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:22 PM
holy shit!

peefer, what do you like about the iphone?
Old 10-17-2011, 01:13 AM   #216
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

You have more choice Phil not only from various carriers but you get to customize it to your liking. Android is always ahead of the competition as far as innovation goes too
Old 10-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #217
Blue Crack Distributor

the iPhone is simple, clean and effective. it does it's job. it's easy for your mom to pick up and go "ohhh, yay i have apps!"

android is not as easy. there's a slight learning curve to android, especially if you want to take advantage of the full experience. but when it's all said and done, android phones are faster, quicker and more powerful than anything apple puts out.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #218
Blue Crack Distributor

hey need more reason? didn't ask? oh well, you're getting it anyways!

if you're anything like me, your phone goes crashing to the ground on a semi-regular basis.

iPhone 4S vs. Samsung Galaxy S II Drop Test - YouTube

my droid x has fallen to the ground... be it in my apartment, at work, in a bar, on a city street... probably at least 100 times in just about 2 years now. there is no damage to the screen whatsoever, with just a few minimal scratches around the casing. oh, and i don't have a cell phone case at all... so this is just the phone crashing to the ground on it's own. zero damage to the screen.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #219
Blue Crack Distributor

Same with my G2. I can't believe I haven't smashed the screen yet. I worry about how frequently I drop shit, especially this phone.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #220
Blue Crack Addict

I have had to have my iPhone glass replaced at least 4-5 times in 3 years 10 months. First time was $200 at Apple all the rest have been $100 at a little watch repair shop, while I wait. They have a great side business, repairing iPhones, (and unlocking them) they are near a college
Old 10-17-2011, 11:52 PM   #221
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin24 View Post
Hey Canadiens. If you want as little bloatware or any bloatware, then go for the google phones. I don't know what carriers you have up north but the Nexus phones are the way to go from what your asking. The Nexus S is about a year old and I think is either Free with a contract or 100.00 with contract. The New Nexus Prime is being announced next week,but is only on Verizon.
Hello Justin,

I am back to leaning Android, and I think I want to go with the Nexus by Google, it seems there is less or no bloat-ware, and the OS upgrades should go most smoothly, if my research is correct. The thing I am having difficulty finding is which phones are the Nexus phones. I thought Nexus was a manufacturer, like HTC, etc. But is that the case? Or are the Nexus phones made by more than one manufacturer?

Ok, so doing some more research, it looks like Samsung will be releasing new Nexus phones this week, with the new OS, Ice Cream.

I guess I will read up on all the reviews, once they hit.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #222
Blue Crack Distributor

the nexus phones have... nexus in their name

manufacturers compete for the right to make the next "nexus" phone, which is sanctioned by Google themselves as THE android phone for that particular OS. samsung has been the nexus maker of choice lately. the galaxy nexus is supposed to be announced today, to be released in early november. this WILL be my next phone.

the specs are starting to get confirmed before tonight's press conference...

Model: GT-I9250, GT-I9250T, GT-I9250M, SC-04D, SCH-I515

dimensions (length x width x thickness): 136.0 × 68.0 × 8.8 fine piece - 11.5 thickest part

Weight: Approximately 135.0 (g)

Chipset: Texas Instruments Omap4460 CPU: ARM Cortex-A9 MP Core SMP (Dual-Core)

CPU operating frequency: 1.2 GHz

GPU: PowerVR SGX 540 Immage Technologies

Communication Systems (GT-I9250/GT-I9250M/GT-I9250M/SC-04D): W-CDMA, GSM phone (SCH-I515): LTE, CDMA2000 Packet (GT-I9250/GT-I9250M / GT-I9250M/SC -04D): HSPA, EDGE, GPRS (SCH-I515): LTE, EV-DO Rev.

Display: AMOLED HD: 4.65 inches Resolution 720 x1280) Maximum number of simultaneous colors Main Display: 16,777,216 color touch screen: capacitive (multi-touch),

Main camera: 5 megapixel CMOS camera with LED flash Video recording 1080pHD (1920 * 1080)

Front camera: 1.3 million pixels CMOS

GPS

NFC

Micro USB 2.0

Communications Bluetooth 3.0 + HS

Wireless LAN Communication: IEEE 802.11 a / ​​b / g / n (2.4 GHz Dual-Band 5.xGHz)

Tethering

Wi-Fi Direct

RAM: 1GB

ROM: 16/32GB:

Battery Capacity: 1750mAh

Notification LED

Old 10-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #223
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
NFC
this is the main reason why i'm so looking forward to getting my galaxy nexus... Near Field Communication.

a demonstration of how NFC will work, using Google Wallet...

Google Wallet taxicab demo - YouTube

... and to think some people think having your voice commands talk to you is "innovation."

NFC is a truly revolutionary idea in the smart phone market, and android is leading the way.

it's not just about making payments, which you will be able to do anywhere where you can do a tap and pay with your credit/debit card now. it's so much more...

Quote:
Social networking
-NFC simplifies and expands social networking options:
-File Sharing: Tap one NFC device to another to instantly share a contact, photo, song, application, video, or website link
-Electronic business card: Tap one NFC device to another to instantly share electronic business cards or resumes.
-Electronic money: To pay a friend, you could tap the devices and enter the amount of the payment.
-Mobile gaming: Tap one NFC device to another to enter a multiplayer game
-Friend-to-friend: You could touch NFC devices together to Facebook friend each other or share a resume or to "check-in" at a location.

Bluetooth and WiFi Connections
-NFC can be used to initiate higher speed wireless connections for expanded content sharing.
-Bluetooth: Instant Bluetooth Pairing can save searching, waiting, and entering codes. Touch the NFC devices together for instant pairing.
-WiFi: Instant WiFi Configuration can configure a device to a WiFi network automatically. Tap an NFC device to an NFC enabled router.

eCommerce
-NFC expands eCommerce opportunities, increases transaction speed and accuracy, while reducing staffing requirements. A Personal identification number (PIN) is usually only required for payments over $100 (in Australia) and £15 (in UK)
-Mobile payment: An NFC device may make a payment like a credit card by touching a payment terminal at checkout or a vending machine when a PIN is entered
-PayPal: PayPal may start a commercial NFC service in the second half of 2011.
-Google Wallet is an Android app that stores virtual versions of your credit cards for use at checkout when a PIN is used.
-Ticketing: Tap an NFC device to purchase rail, metro, airline, movie, concert, or event tickets. A PIN is required
-Boarding pass: A NFC device may act as a boarding pass, reducing check-in delays and staffing requirements
-Point of Sale: Tap an SmartPoster tag to see information, listen to an audio clip, watch a video, or see a movie trailer
-Coupons: Tapping an NFC tag on a retail display or SmartPoster may give the user a coupon for the product
-Tour guide: Tap a passive NFC tag for information or an audio or video presentation at a museum, monument, or retail display (much like a QR Code)

Identity documents
-NFC's short range helps keep encrypted identity documents private
-ID card: An NFC enabled device can also act as an encrypted student, employee, or personal ID card or medical ID card
-Keycard: An NFC enabled device may serve as car, house, and office keys
-Rental Car and hotel keys: NFC rental car or hotel room keys may allow fast VIP check-in and reduce staffing requirements
Old 10-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #224
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Interestingly enough, I was reading a user interface design study recently that said only about 5% of users bother to customize their devices' software to their own liking. I'm partial to Android but that might explain why many people flock to the one-size fits all mentality of iOS.

Anyway, I am in this thread because I am looking at getting an Android smartphone because I don't want to be mugged while walking around with an iPhone.

Do you have any recs about which model to get, keeping the following two things in mind:
  • I am looking for an Android smartphone that has as little carrier-specific shit tacked onto the OS as possible; one of the big minus points of Android is that it is like Windows PCs: every carrier seems to want to throw their own shitty skin over it and it ruins the experience
  • I'm looking for a handset that will be current enough, but it doesn't need to be cutting edge as I'd rather get something that will be <100$ with a contract
i personally have the Optimus V with Virgin Mobile. it's a great little phone and of course i have no contract. you can get the phone for about $140 now.

it has a little bit of bloatware, but if you root the phone (which is very simple with LG) you can remove all of it.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #225
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Hey Deep great to see you coming back to Android. As Headache said Nexus is the name Google calls their phones. The new one Nexus Prime or Samsung Nexus will be announced later today. The price range on contract should be about the same $199.99

Tags
droid, verizon