System Performance Programs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Yes I know, Viruses, and spyware can slow down a PC. I don't have viruses and I did a spyware sweep. Anyone know of any good free programs that help boost pc performance if possible?

I just use msconfig to disable all of the processes that run automatically on startup except for my antivirus. A lot of registry cleaners and performance apps aren't very thorough, can damage the computer, or just suck memory themselves. It's hard to find freeware that isn't malicious itself. Also, if you have a lot of windows open all the time, keep them minimized and they will actually take less memory than if they are all open on top of each other. Some of my friends overclock their processors, but I don't know how.

virus programs are a hog. There's really not much you can do with that.

For spyware and stuff...I use windows defender via IE7 - never had any issues with it and it's trapped everything thrown my way so far.

Use Perfmon to monitor resource issues - it's built into Windows (start...run..perfmon). Google it for a shitload of information.

Also configure your task manager to show Handles (View...select columns...Handle counts) to check for handle leaks. There's other good columns to view here as well.

AVoid adding third party tools - they just add more overhead and do the same thing that Windows already offers.

Back
Top Bottom