Stupid question regarding mp3 quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mofo

Refugee
Hey guys, I'm pretty sure this is really stupid but I just don't know anyway let's say we have mp3 in 320 kbps if I convert them to 128 kbps and later on I want them in CD quality and convert them back again to 320 or to WAV format do I get the best quality or once I have them on 128 they stay that way no matter what??

Mofo said:
Hey guys, I'm pretty sure this is really stupid but I just don't know anyway let's say we have mp3 in 320 kbps if I convert them to 128 kbps and later on I want them in CD quality and convert them back again to 320 or to WAV format do I get the best quality or once I have them on 128 they stay that way no matter what??

I'm pretty sure once they are 128 they stay that way. You'd have to re-rip them from a lossless source or something better than 320 if thats how you want them. For mp3s that I'm not burning on CDs, I usually rip 256 b/c 128 you can hear is less quality, but once you get up above 196 (or whatever the number is ), your ear can't really tell the difference. If you have a sweet audio system, then you might want something better, but for me just listening on headphones from my computer, 256 is fine and the files take up much less space.

thanks so much for the info!! guess I'll have to rip a lot of my cds again I really can't hear the diference it's just some mental obsessive thing I got:|

Back
Top Bottom