spyware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
Had it for sometime now.

I get annoying IE pop-ups (despite using Firefox) regarding free sex without committment (among other things) and a little yellow triangle alert in the taskbar saying there's a security problem and I have ___ number of spyware; clicking on it leads me to some spam sites.

I've run it through ad-aware, didn't work.

What should I do?

1. Don't use IE ever again
2. Go to Add/Remove programs and remove any spyware, anything strange looking with keywords like Search, Shop, or Internet
3. Run Adware in Safe Mode
4. Run Spybot Search & Destroy in Safe Mode
5. Run anyother program you use, like Webroot Spy Sweeper, in Safe Mode
6. If there's anything that won't uninstall (sometimes it gets corrupt or won't stop for whatever reason), run msconfig and tell it NOT to run when the computer starts
7. If you still have issues, reinstall the OS

yeah use Firefox, go to mozilla.com and download it from there. It's faster and safer/cleaner.

Run Ad-aware multiple times in safe mode, not just once. Sometimes it catches things after three or four searches that it missed on the first few.

Use Spybot Search and Destroy as well.

Go to Microsoft's website and download Windows Defender.

Get AVG Antivirus (the full version. I heard the free one sucks) unless you're using Norton. If using Norton, then wait for that to run out THEN get AVG.

I used to use IE, until it gave me way too much spyware than I can handle, so I switched to Firefox. There's nifty little plugins that you can download that you can control what can be shown on your system.

There are free programs out there such as lavasoft's "Ad-aware" and Spybot's "Search and Destroy" which are pretty helpful... if you still have spyware on your pc, you should download a program called "bazooka" by kypher. It doesn't automatically rid your pc of the spyware, but it gives you step-by-step instructions on how to rid it. Saved me quite a few times.

But overall-- rid your pc of IE immediately!

City7 said:

Run Ad-aware multiple times in safe mode, not just once. Sometimes it catches things after three or four searches that it missed on the first few.

Use Spybot Search and Destroy as well.

I can verify both of these, they work and they are free and easy to use.

BUT, before you go into safe mode, make sure the versions are updated for both of those programs, so obviously you might need to be connected to the net if they aren't.

There is also a 'Multi Virus Cleaner 2006' on download.com that is free and works pretty well for freeware.

Back
Top Bottom