Shopping For A Macbook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
My six-year old Gateway PC Laptop died this past weekend. It doesn't turn on anymore. The external power supply(i.e. the AC unit/cable) is still working(i.e. the LED light on the AC box still comes on), so the logical conclusion is that the internal power supply died, which is understandable since I left that laptop on all the time. Anyway, it would probably cost several hundred dollars to have the internal power supply replaced, and the laptop is already six years old, so...new laptop time.

I've been wanting a Macbook for a year now, and the opportunity has unexpectedly presented itself with my laptop dying.

The question is...does anyone know of anywhere I can get a good deal on one? The Macbook Pro is out of my price range, so it's gotta be just the Macbook. I would prefer specs of 2Ghz, 1 Gig ram, and a Superdrive(as opposed to a Combo drive, which doesn't burn DVDs).

The Apple store and retail stores(CompUSA, Best Buy, etc) are the same as it's ever been($1000, minimum, after student discount).

I've been spending most of my time looking on eBay, where it is possible to find MacBooks on sale for fairly cheaper.

But all in all, it's pretty hard to find a decently-priced MacBook. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any other places that would sell MacBooks for under the retail price.

Thanks.

P.S.Has anyone ever brought a laptop off eBay? Is it dependable for a big purchase like that?

When I was considering a Mac for a new laptop, I was looking at refurbs on the Apple Store site. I found some nice refurbs of PowerBooks, which I've always liked the looks of. In the end, I found a PC with 2 gigs RAM, Dual core processor, superdrive with lightscribe, and built-in camera just like Macs for less than $1000. The graphics/screen is not quite as nice as a Mac, but I have poor vision and only do graphic design and digital photography as hobbies, so really my eyes don't know the difference. So I paid less for a brand new PC with better specs and a 3 year warranty (includes battery replacements) than I would have paid for a used or refurbed Mac.

I've bought old crappy computers used like on eBay, but I personally would not buy a newer, primary computer on eBay unless it's from an eBay store of an existing company. I get crappy used comps, fix them up a bit, and then sell them for cheap or give them to less technologically inclined family, but for my primary comp I like to have something decent with a warranty, mainly because the warranty helps maintain a higher re-sale value, so if I want to sell it next year, I can transfer two years of warranty and prospective buyers like that.

The only other way I know of getting any kind of discount for Apple products, is to do log in as a student. 10% off.

They actually do not confirm this.

I've seen them for a bit less at university computer stores, usually at the beginning of September, but they don't let you buy one unless you're a registered student. And even so you're maybe saving $50-100 on top of the 10% student discount, so it's not a huge amount.

Well, if you are a student or educator, Apple has deals for you when purchasing a new computer. They give you a discount, plus a free iPod Nano or $200 off another iPod of your choice. I talked with a Mac person just recently when I bought my friend a U2 iPod. The Apple guy told me about the discounts. Also, you can get free printers with your purchase of computers. My friend just bought a macbook and got a free printer (if they are under $100, or you can get discounts off the other printers).

Also, the Refurbished ones are in good shape, but they have just been returned or worked on by Mac people...(not brand new).

Those refurbed ones are just as good because they have been worked on. And if you get the Apple Care Protection Plan, which is like a 3 year warranty, no matter what happens to the Mac *within reason* they will take care of you. My friend's Mac was on the fritz there for a while, but he got it completely worked over for FREE because of the warranty. It would have cost him hundreds of dollars without it. Also, there is service from real human beings within the US who speak English and are able to answer all your Mac questions. IT's almost worth it to ALWAYS speak to a real person who knows exactly what I'm talking about. I never have to wait long and I always have my problem resolved within minutes.

Look at

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...E100312748&esvadt=999999-0-53692-1&esvid=1989

Those are refurbed and can save a lot, but still be the real deal in the long run.

I recommend Macs because I have found them to be extremely reliable and great customer service, plus awesome designs.

My suggestion is to check out the refurbished models. You can get a really great deal, and they're still backed up by Apple's year long warranty.

If somebody on eBay is selling a 13' MacBook, 2Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, 60 Gig hard drive, Dual Layer SuperDrive(burns DVDs), 5 months old, with 7 months left on the warranty, with everything that came in the box except for the box itself and the instruction manuals(because he threw them out thinking he would never sell the MacBook, according to him), with a carrying case thrown in as a bonus, in a straight auction, and the current bid with 15 hours left is $630, what do I make of that? Is it too good to be true? Do you think there's something wrong with it that he's not disclosing? I don't know. Those specs for that price would be amazing.

But the guy STARTED the bidding at $600, it seems. Also, I don't know if there's any reserve in this auction. Gah.

He probably started it low so it'll attract attention and get bid up at the last minute. Maybe it'll finish at a good price though, good luck if you're looking at that one. :up:

Otherwise I also recommend the refurb store, I got my Mini and Powerbook there and it worked out great.

I agree with Neutral, get the Refurb and get the ext warranty.
Also, don't forget that they have this 1 hour classes for $99. You get 1 class a week for one year, if I am not mistaken.

namkcuR said:
But the guy STARTED the bidding at $600, it seems. Also, I don't know if there's any reserve in this auction. Gah.

I've never bid on computers, but everything else that I've bid on rather than Buy It Now, I never bid before 1 hour of the auction close. Usually stuff can double or triple towards the end.

Well, I never did bid on that Macbook, and as everyone thought, it went higher - sold for $810 at the end.

No matter though, because I am typing this on the brand new Macbook I just got today from an Apple Store!

2.16 GHZ
1 GB RAM
120 GB HD
Superdrive
iSight

:drool: :combust: :rockon:

namkcuR said:
Well, I never did bid on that Macbook, and as everyone thought, it went higher - sold for $810 at the end.

No matter though, because I am typing this on the brand new Macbook I just got today from an Apple Store!

2.16 GHZ
1 GB RAM
120 GB HD
Superdrive
iSight

:drool: :combust: :rockon:

niiiiice.

I'm hoping to get a Macbook Pro either next year or Senior year. I'll need it for my TV production class.

Back
Top Bottom