Shopping For A Digital Camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got_edge

Refugee
I'm in the market for a digital camera and I need a bit of guidance. I'm looking for something sleek and sexy and not necessarily professional. Things that matter are picture quality, camera performance, features, user-friendliness, etc. Which manufacturers should I trust? I don't want a camera-shaped paperweight in 3 years :yikes:

I had my eye on the Sony Cybershot when it first came out but I'd like check out my other options. I mean, sure it's sexy, but is it the best choice out there? I hear scary things about the battery and it's also a bit pricey. Budget-wise, I'd like to spend about $400-450 but that includes taxes, warranty and a memory card.

I have one week to make this purchase but I have plenty of internet hours to do some research and compare cameras. I'm going to start off with the models listed in this thread even though the specs preferred there are a little different from my own.

grumpycamera.gif
grumpycamera.gif
grumpycamera.gif

I'm thinking of buying the SD900

sd900_586x225.jpg

Pure Titanium 10.0 Megapixel Digital ELPH with 3x Optical Zoom and elegant Perpetual Curve design
DIGIC III Image Processor with Face Detection Technology for superior image quality, fast operation and low power consumption
Large 2.5 inch LCD monitor with wide viewing angle for easier on-camera viewing
ISO 1600 to reduce image blur and expand low-light shooting capability
Improved High-Resolution Movie Mode at 15 fps XGA (1024 x 768)
Print/Share Button for easy direct printing and downloading, plus ID Photo Print and Movie Print with Canon CP and SELPHY Compact Photo Printers

I was about to purchase the Rebel XTi, but eventhough it's really good, the Mrs wanted something small and portable.:|

The SD900 has nice image quality, but its manual modes are limited - i.e. no aperture or shutter speed control. So you won't be able to get too creative with it.

RedrocksU2 said:
Interesting.

I want something with a very fast shutter.

Do I have to go with SLR?

The SD has a fast shutter too, but it's auto.
I own a Canon Rebel XT DSLR, which has a lot of manual modes like shutter priority. Several of the Canon non-DSLRs also have most of the manual modes, but not the SDxxx series. The A series has manual modes (I have the A540).

eta: so no a DSLR is not needed unless you want 1/4000s speed. The A series goes up to 1/2000s (user adjustable) as does the SD series (not user adjustable).

Last edited:

This is an example of shutter priority mode, which the SD series can't handle. I used 1/1000 or 1/2000 shutter speed for this shot of the Thunderbirds. The SD would probably not evaluate it properly, and the jets would be blurred. Blurring would also occur for sport and concert shots. That's why we see many blurry concert shots around here - because the user used auto mode and the shutter speed was auto-set too slow.

Last edited:
:lol:
I know.

Nice pic!
I will probably be using the camera for the kiddies when they are running and doing stuff, so I think that the SD will probably do fine. If I get a Xmas bonus (crosses fingers), i'll problaby get the XT.
Great advise. :up:

RedrocksU2 said:
Nice pic!
I will probably be using the camera for the kiddies when they are running and doing stuff, so I think that the SD will probably do fine. If I get a Xmas bonus (crosses fingers), i'll problaby get the XT.
Great advise. :up:

Thanks. The SD series might also use too low a shutter speed for sports/motion, depending on lighting conditions. Sunny conditions should be fine, but in lower light or indoors the SD's auto mode might use too slow a shutter speed to freeze motion when the subject is out of the flash's range. The Canon A710 or A700 would also be worth looking into (as they have more advanced shooting modes) and cost less.

Last edited:
Actually the SD900 has a new feature called "scene modes", which slightly expands the amount of manual control the user has. But it's still less manual control than the A series.

got_edge said:
Edit: How about some Kodak horror stories :hyper:

Not really stories, but basically, there are just FAR better cameras out there than Kodak. For some reason I got stuck on this Kodak kick and thought they were so great, my last 3 cameras have all been Kodak easy shares. But seeing other peoples pictures, and cameras has made me realize that they are really not that great. For outside pics with no flash they take awesome shots, but inside w/flash forget it. You either get tons of red eye, too bright, not bright enough, bad quality etc. And mine is a 6.1 megapixel which I thought was supposed to be good. Not to mention I must have gotten just a TINY bit of juice/drink on the lens at a party in October and since then I have to manually open and close the lens shutter every time by hand. I've cleaned it countless times with rubbing alchohol and its just still very stubborn. Ok so maybe that was pretty much my fault but this camera still sucks. I'm going for a Nikon or Canon next.

got_edge said:
So much information :drool:

Canon SD630 is on the table (900 is too much $$$)

The Canon SD630 and other SDxxx models are beginner cameras that look sleek and are good for point and shoot of still objects, not moving things (like musicians, athletes, etc.). I owned a SD series and ended up selling it due to its limited features. The A series - e.g. A6xx and A7xx are much more advanced in the Canon powershot line.

I'd recommend a Cannon SDanything. I bought an SD200 last year, and it is perfect for what I need to do. I'm thinking up upgrading, because apparently I purchased mine right before all the new shit came out, but I will never buy another brand of camera again.

Oh and when you do get one, stop by this site first:
http://www.passwird.com/

I have a Canon PowerShot S1-IS and I love it except it's big and I need a filter b/c many pics are washed out (not the camera's fault though when I'm taking outdoor pics at noon on a sunny day in Hawaii or Africa - if you're not near the equator, you should be OK). The S-series is now on S3 I believe. It has "image stabilizer" which has allowed me to take pics w/ the 10x zoom and have them come out clear even without a tripod.

Canadiens1160 said:
Also the first couple of posts in this thread will give you a reference point - they're some darn good recommendations and in your price range as well :up:

Those models are outdated now. powershot.com has Canon's latest models.

Back
Top Bottom