Shopping For A Digital Camera - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2006, 11:41 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:23 AM
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but be sure to check Steve's Digicams for great reviews and photo samples.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:43 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:23 AM
I bought the SD900 on Friday, I should receive it on Wed.
I am definitely going to read all the manual .

Old 12-18-2006, 11:59 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but be sure to check Steve's Digicams for great reviews and photo samples.
I'm not sure how detailed he gets about recommending a certain camera model or series for a certain type of photography. For example, the Canon SD models will give poor results for concerts, sports, and artistic shots. Whereas, the Axxx, S series, etc. can handle that type of shooting because the user can control shutter, aperture, and ISO settings.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:24 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I dont like Kodaks either. ewwwwwwww.

I highly recommend you check out this site.

http://www.photonhead.com/
Old 12-19-2006, 01:13 AM   #35
The Fly

As well....

The Canon G7 is also an awesome camera. It's got 10 megapixels, an ISO dial right on the top of the camera (80-1600), a nice 2.5" LCD screen plus an adjustable eyepiece, and the option to add a larger flash. Granted it's larger and more expensive than the SD900...

The SD 900 also has 10 megapixels, and the ISO can be modified by changing the camera to manual mode (click the function button and press the dial up or down and then side to side).

The SD (ELPH) cameras are very popular models for people who want a camera that can be tucked into a pocket, and offer more functions than any camera of similar size on the market. Then again, they aren't very inexpensive.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:19 AM   #36
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by got_edge
So much information

Canon SD630 is on the table (900 is too much $$$)
You could also consider the Canon SD800 - a 7.1 Mega pixel model with an Optical Image Stabilizer, 2.5" screen, plus all the other options available on the SD 900 minus the titanium finish.

The 630 is also a great camera, btw.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:52 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Chile

The SD 900 also has 10 megapixels, and the ISO can be modified by changing the camera to manual mode (click the function button and press the dial up or down and then side to side).
The SD900 does not have the true manual modes found on models like the DSLRs, G7, A630, A640, A710, and A700. That is, no aperture and/or shutter speed settings are available. It has only scene modes. I have owned 4 Canon digital cameras, and the SD series was the least capable in terms of flexibility. 10MP is not too useful anyway unless you want to print posters or something.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:04 PM   #38
The Fly

That's true, ntalwar

None of the Elph cameras have aperture and shutter speed settings,...

but they do have selectable ISO settings, white balance settings (including evaluative which is great) in addition to some really cool color modes (my color on black and white produces black and white +one color where the color is normally found in the frame).

Then there are the scene modes which automatically adjust ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed, and white balance for you.

The evaluative white balance setting can really help a lot when you're shooting in mixed lighting conditions because you simply point the camera at a place in the room where white should be, set the camera based on that, and then all the colors fall into place.

Of all the pocket cameras I've used, the SD (Elph) cameras are probably the most functional (although Panasonic has a better Image Stabilizer, Nikon has timed interval shooting, Olympus has a better panorama solution)

The Mega Pixels matter more if you intend to crop smaller portions of a photo and print large, or if you intend to print really large with the file.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by got_edge

extended warranty
Consumer Reports advises against extended warratnies for most electronics. Best Buy's profit margin on the extended warranties is 50-60%.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/p...anty-11-06.htm
Old 12-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar

Consumer Reports advises against extended warratnies for most electronics. Best Buy's profit margin on the extended warranties is 50-60%.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/p...anty-11-06.htm
I never get them either. I did for my current camera because I bought it to take to Africa to very dusty conditions. It's got a little life left on its three year warranty and I have sent it back to be professionally cleaned (when Bono sprayed champagne at the lens from a few feet away) and am considering sending it in again b/c sometimes the lens jams. I almost wish it would break b/c they have a lemon policy where the third time it goes in I get a new one or better (like the S3).

But yeah I never consider extended warranties on things that a) I don't use everyday and b) cost less than like $500.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:10 AM   #41
The Fly

I think it really depends on what the warranty offers. For most extended warranties, the coverage is the same as the manufacturers warranty, which is to say that not much is really covered.

For other consumer electronics, an over-the-counter replacement warranty is a good idea- moreso if the product type is prone to break-down (like CD/DVD Players, Tape Machines, IPODS, Cellphones, etc).
Old 12-21-2006, 12:21 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:23 AM
A friend of mine has an exlim and I thought it was very nice...
Old 12-22-2006, 07:00 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Then there are the scene modes which automatically adjust ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed, and white balance for you.

The evaluative white balance setting can really help a lot when you're shooting in mixed lighting conditions because you simply point the camera at a place in the room where white should be, set the camera based on that, and then all the colors fall into place.
Correct - a scene mode will probably used a fixed shutter/aperture value that might be slightly different from what you really want. For example, a sports/action mode might use 1/500s shutter speed when you want 1/200s or something for a concert.

The A series also has custom white balance like the SD series. Additional features which they have (some models) that the SD series does not include a flip out LCD screen and even lens add ons for expanded wide angle or telephoto shooting.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #44
The Fly

You're right on the money with that description, ntalwar

Also, if you're interested in the audio/video portion, the Canon s3IS allows you to use the Zoom while shooting video, it has an image stabilizer, 6 Mega pixels, and a 12x Optical zoom lens, but it only has a 2" flip screen.

The Powershot A 630 and 640 models have 2.5" flip screens, no stabilizer, and a fixed lens when shooting A/V, but represent 8 and 10 mega pixel models respectively.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:29 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
the Canon s3IS
I suggested that model on page 1, but it was out of her price range.