Screen Discoloration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiger Edge

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
So. My warranty on this laptop expired about a month ago. Just a classic case scenario!

I noticed today that there is this light orange discoloration on the lower right hand side of my screen. It wasn't too bad, so I decided to just massage it away. Then it started to spread a little more, so I stopped immediately.

I restarted to make sure it wasn't another issue, and it's exactly the same. I'm pretty sure this means I banged it at one point or another. Probably because I took it to school in my backpack.

dsc00360yb9.jpg

When you bend the screen down, it's a lot more noticeable.

dsc00361lz5.jpg

This is how it looks on a white background with the brightness on low (I always have it on low). On interference it makes the bottom right hand side appear to be a pastel green.

It's not that serious of an issue, but I can see it annoying me to no end and possibly spreading even more in the near future.

SO! Is there a solution for this, besides purchasing a new screen online for ~$200 and having a friend rebuild it for me? :help:

Not that I can think of.

Don't magnets usually turn screens into a cool color though? (Blue, green, purple...)

For a moment I thought a magnet might even fix it. :wink:

So the discoloration is on the same spot each time. Some cleaners can damage the LCD coating.

I haven't used any cleaners in like a month though. I usually clean the dust and fingerprints off with a tissue.

Hm, with old CRT monitors that get discolored, we simply charge up this giant magnet the shape of a clothing iron and drag the discoloration off the screen. But it doesn't quite work that way with an LCD.

Has it been exposed to a lot of heat or sunshine/UV?

Not so much heat or sunshine, but definitely a lot of humidity today. :(

I used the laptop this morning and it was fine. It became discolored when I turned it on at home. It leads me to think that I somehow hit it on the ride home, or maybe the screen got pushed down too hard or something in my bookbag.

It's probably not the video card, but I would test it with an external monitor anyway and see if that pattern appears. It could be the coating.

If you have a laptop VGA output and a desktop PC monitor, just connect them. You might have to toggle it in the display properties to recognize the other monitor. What type of notebook is it?

This is really weird now. Last night before I went to bed I noticed that the orange color was receding slightly.

This morning, it's barely even there. It's nowhere as dark as it used to be and it's shrinking in size.
:confused:

Yeah. It really is a sunset though. It ebbs and flows throughout the day. Sometimes it's as dark as that picture up there, and sometimes the orange just kinda disperses and rides along the bottom edge of the screen.

I'm living with it, I guess. It's just weird.

Maybe consider calling the customer service number for the manufacturer and see if they have any ideas.

Back
Top Bottom