Replacing iTunes Library Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobert16

The Fly
I had quite a large iTunes Library (about 18 GB), so as you can imagine, I did not have space on my hard drive to store it all. After I had saved a particular music file on my iPod (U2 edition, if that helps), I would delete the file from my computer, while being sure to keep it listed in my iTunes Library. I essentially had "links" in my Library to thousands of songs that no longer existed on my computer, but these links 'convinced' my iPod to keep the songs saved on it.

The problem is this week I had computer difficulties and had to reinstall Windows 2000. I have just now re-installed some programs, and I find that when I try to import my old iTunes Library, only the songs that are still saved on my computer can be imported. Thus, there were thousands of song 'links' that were in my old Library that can no longer be put in my new one.

I have not plugged my iPod into my PC since, so I still have all my songs saved to the iPod. I am wondering if there is a way to plug my iPod back into the computer without deleting all the files on it. If they are deleted from the iPod, I have no backups to replace them!

I have not yet installed my iPod software, as I am afraid that if I plug in my iPod I will lose everything. I cannot take any chances at losing it, so if you have any advice, please be sure that it will not end with me losing all my songs!

Thanks for all your help.

PS: I have heard about "ephpod" and "Xplay" programs that save all the music from my iPod onto my computer. If I can clear enough space for it, will I be able to save all the songs without clearing my iPod? Do I need to install the iPod software to use Xplay? If iTunes opens automatically when I plug my iPod in, will it delete all the songs on my iPod?

Last edited:
So WinAMP will take all my iPod's music? If I install my iPod's software (do I need to plug in my iPod?) will it delete my iPod's music? Should I uninstall iTunes so that it doesn't remove the iPod's music when it automatically opens?

Back
Top Bottom