Rebooting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JanuaryStar

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Hello,

I have a question. My sister's computer (Windows ME, I know that says a lot to begin with), has this strange problem since a week or 2 I think.

Whenever we start the computer, and it's fully loaded (so you see the desktop and all), it just reboots, all by itself. And it keeps on doing this over and over and over and over again. Bottomline is, I cannot stay in Windows, not even if I try safe mode or anything.

I first thought it could have been a heat problem, but in BIOS the temperature just seems okay.

I'm not really a computer expert, but I thought maybe some of you might have an idea of what can be the problem? I have a friend who does know a lot about computers, but he is on holiday right now, so I can't ask him. But maybe if it is some technical related problem (like opening the computer up and such) he can help me with it when he returns.

We didn't change anything about the computer at all, it just started to do this weird rebooting thing all by itself.

Any help/advice is highly appreciated!

Do you have some data on the PC that shouldn't be erased? Otherwise I would recommend that you reinstall Windows. Not sure if you can do this with Windows ME without erasing the entire harddrive. I would guess that you can, though.

Find your Windows ME install CD. Put it in the CD tray and let it reboot. If it doesn't boot from the CD you have to go into BIOS and change the settings, so that the CD drive is primary boot drive. Now just reinstall Windows.

How much time do you have when Windows is loaded? A minute, a second, or something in between.

Might be a virus that shuts down your computer all the time.

If you have some time for before the restart go to Start-->Run and type in shutdown -a.

If this doesn't help it's not a virus that forces your computer to shutdown.

Open 'er up and make sure there's no lint or excessive dust clogging the CPU fan or a video card fan if there is one. There is still a chance it could be overheating.

Also check the wattage (in volts) on the power supply. If it's something really low, it might just be restarting the computer automatically. Very unlikely though.

I think it's just the OS that's buggy.

I'm kind of suprised that people use ME still. I had it when I first got my computer and it always gave me problems (even more than XP lol). It'd either freeze, or like the OP said, start restarting for no reasons whatsoever.

Anyway, upgraded to XP and I haven't been randomly rebooted ever since...

Here's some links... maybe they'll help:
Google Group: Windows ME rebooting for no reason
Say no to ME
(Guess you can see I don't care for ME much. :wink:)

Or I guess, you could always see, if you installed any new software or hardware before you had all those random reboots. It could also be because of a corrupt file somewhere in the system.

Thanks for all the reactions so far... I'll try all the things you've suggested, and see if it's still being such a pain in the *** !! :wink:

And Sevikins, we're not really using ME intensively anymore (I've never liked ME), but my sister doesn't come here that often, so she just uses it for Word/games/music, stuff like that...

ME is the all time worst OS ever. I bought a comp years ago brand new, with ME on it. The thing would freeze every 5 minutes, no matter what I was doing. I thought I had a bad computer so I took it back and got a new one, same thing... freezing and restarting it was so horrible and I was miserable. I had a friend install 2000 over it and it worked like a charm for the next 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom