question copying pics from dig. camera windows xp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
i've been copying pictures onto my laptop from my sony digital camera.
i just use the automatic wizard that pops up when you plug it into the usb.
it says "copy the pictures into a folder on your hard drive".

used to be when i did it, it would actually make a separate folder and automatically put the pics in.
the original file names such as DSC08637 would remain intact inside the new folder.

now when i type in what i want to call the folder,
it instead puts that name in front of the file number name and just puts all the pics in the 'my pictures' folder.
then i have to physically make a folder and drag it in.
used to do that automatcially.
i haven't changed any settings that i know of.
how do i make it so it actually puts it in a folder?

for example if i try to make a folder called "netherlands 511207"
all the file names come up with netherlands 511207 before them, i.e. netherlands 511107 010 instead of keeping the original file names from the sony camera such as DSC08637 intact.

hope this makes sense.

Hmm, I'm not sure since mine does the same thing, but I want it to re-name the photos because if I let it keep the name the camera gives it (Photo 01..Photo 02... for a Canon) and later on I erase my memory card and start over, then I have a whole new set of photos starting at the same number, so one or both sets has to be renamed. Plus I like having the photos with a name that helps me remember where/when it was taken. However, mine does make a folder for the pictures, so say the camera wizard pops up, I'd type in "May 12" as the folder, it would add a "May 12" folder inside My Pictures and then call the photos May 12 01, May 12 02....

Did the Sony come with any software? My Canon came with software that I really like, I just haven't installed it on this computer yet. It was much better at naming and organizing the pics, and it also rotated the portrait oriented pics for me (I have no clue how it knows which ones to rotate, but it does).

yeah the sony came with software but i didn't have to add it with my laptop.
it just recognized it automatically.
and was working just fine before.
i guess i could install the sony software but i don't like having a lot of unnecessary software loaded if it just takes up more room and i can work without it.
i wonder if one of the windows updates could have caused it to change? :shrug:

Is this what you get?

I plug mine in and I get...
Camera1.JPG

Then it finds all the pictures....
Camera2.JPG

I select the pics and then I get....
Camera3.JPG

Where I enter the naming convention for the photo set and tell it where to save them. You want it to save them in seperate folders, not all in the My Pictures folder, no? On mine, when I type in the name in the top field, it automatically adds it in the folder field below, thus making a new folder inside the My Pictures folder.

Now, if I click on the drop-down for that folder list in the second field, the top option will be My Pictures\ and then it adds whatever name you enter in the top field, but if I select the second My Pictures option from that list, then it lets me add a name up above but does not name a new folder with that name, just puts them directly into the My Pictures folder. Perhaps this option got selected and you need to set it back to the top option?

Camera4.JPG

yeah those are the windows i get. it doesn't seem to matter which folder option i choose, it still changes the file name no matter where i save them. and i have to type something in the name for the group of pics. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom