PS3, Xbox 360 or Wii ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd look into seeing if you can adjust the settings on your router, as it helps a great deal with match making and playing with friends. Sometimes it'll even not let you join certain friends if you have strict NAT settings. Here's a couple links that should help:

Troubleshooting NAT issues
Xbox: The Diagnostic Server shows Network Address Translation (NAT) type problems when using Xbox Live

NSW, how can you worship Horde and not like Coop? Horde IS coop! Looking at it, there are a few coop multiplayer modes on GTA, or we can just free mode, or shoot each other.

Double-splattered!

Agree with you here but I honestly don't see the PS3 coming out with anything that will define the system or make us dedicated 360 users to go out and buy one.

Popmofo and I were discussing this just yesterday....the PS3 is doomed. Prices are coming down for bluray players so that marketing position is gone. As for games, they aren't doing anything to impressive with PS3 exclusive games and the games that are on both consoles always seem to play and look better on the 360 anyways. As for online capabilites, MS wins hands down. Hell, Sony is just now promoting that the PS3 can download movies....360 has been doing that basically from day one.

Metal Gear and Little Big Planet are the only two I can think of so far... we'll see.

As for the PS3's demise, I wouldn't count on it just yet; Sony has sunk WAY too much money into it to just walk away...

I think if they put out a couple more really good games, cut the price again by at least $50 and lower the prices for new games, they could be right back into it.

Remember when they released the original Playstation? Everyone figured Nintendo and Sega would eat them for lunch...

It's an interesting industry to me....I wonder where it will wind up?

I don't think the PS3's demise is not now nessecarily but I think the choices they have made will sink it eventually. Who even knows if bluray will be here to stay?

THAT'S THE ONE! son of a bitch has killed me twice now!

I'm glad that they are considered the second toughest enemy in the game behind Death Claws though, makes me feel better about getting my ass kicked...

Well, let's just say they're tough for a basic "creature" enemy, there are far tougher things in the game to look forward to, my friend.

NSW, you missed out on LeMac and I double teabagging an annoying 12 year old on Halo 3 last night.

Metal Gear and Little Big Planet are the only two I can think of so far... we'll see.

As for the PS3's demise, I wouldn't count on it just yet; Sony has sunk WAY too much money into it to just walk away...

I think if they put out a couple more really good games, cut the price again by at least $50 and lower the prices for new games, they could be right back into it.

Remember when they released the original Playstation? Everyone figured Nintendo and Sega would eat them for lunch...

Here's an article in the Wall Street Journal about what we've been talking about:

PS3 Sags in Battle Again Xbox 360, Wii - WSJ.com

I don't think the PS3 is dead in the water, but they do have quite an uphill battle. Regardless, interesting article.

Well, let's just say they're tough for a basic "creature" enemy, there are far tougher things in the game to look forward to, my friend.

NSW, you missed out on LeMac and I double teabagging an annoying 12 year old on Halo 3 last night.

Ha, awesome.

In turn, you missed out on me and my two LA buddies playing public Whorde....and we ended up with a ten year old kid whose gamer tag was Box(followed by two numerals, forget which). It took the three of us about two waves to thoroughly exasperate Box, who was a better player than any of us, with our nonsense. At one point, one of us cursed, and I yelled "There's a ten year old playing, stop cursing", whereupon Box said "All of you shut the fuck up!" and after that I literally could not stop laughing for the rest of the game. We made it to Wave 10, and Box was knocked down and bleeding, yelling for us to save him. I then told him that we would not at all save him, that he was going to learn about just how rough life was, and then the rest of us died, but not before Box could tell us that we all sucked ass. Classic. Box might be the love child of Lazarus and U2Kitten, not sure.

my guess is 98.

hilarious story, though. i forgot about the whole xbox live thing where you could talk while playing the game, it's been so long.

It's still relatively new to me, and, frankly, all I want to do is play and not talk shit.....but Box was fucking hilarious, and one of my friends was drunk and kept yelling "West Side!", which was apropos of nothing at all. He would then encourage Box to "West Side it, Box!" which thoroughly irritated Box.

It's still relatively new to me, and, frankly, all I want to do is play and not talk shit.....but Box was fucking hilarious, and one of my friends was drunk and kept yelling "West Side!", which was apropos of nothing at all. He would then encourage Box to "West Side it, Box!" which thoroughly irritated Box.
yeah, when i played halo i usually kept the damn headset off. it got annoying with the "lolzzz a gurl!!" crap. though it didn't help i usually played with people i knew from another forum, and that's pretty much how the whole damn forum is. :doh:

yeah, when i played halo i usually kept the damn headset off. it got annoying with the "lolzzz a gurl!!" crap. though it didn't help i usually played with people i knew from another forum, and that's pretty much how the whole damn forum is. :doh:

Playing with my buddies out West or with Scumbo, and now YLB is a riot. Playing with strangers is pure pot luck. I've played with my ex a few times in recent weeks, and if we play public, she gets the same "Itz a gurl!!!!" stuff, but she could not care less.

Haha, that story rules. You made me do a real life "lol". LeMac and I were commenting on how shitty some people's usertags are.

Audiophile came over to my place earlier today, and we traded off every level on Horde for a while. We ended up playing with some guy whose usertag was "A 1981 Firebird", or some similar car. We made it a point to call him by his full gamertag the entirety of the match. "Look out, A 1981 Firebird, here comes a flamethrower!", "Hey, A 1981 Firebird, do you need some help?", "Hey A 1981 Firebird, do you like Halo?", Etc.

Haha, that story rules. You made me do a real life "lol". LeMac and I were commenting on how shitty some people's usertags are.

Audiophile came over to my place earlier today, and we traded off every level on Horde for a while. We ended up playing with some guy whose usertag was "A 1981 Firebird", or some similar car. We made it a point to call him by his entire gamertag the entirety of the match. "Look out, A 1981 Firebird, here comes a flamethrower!", "Hey, A 1981 Firebird, do you need some help?", Etc.

You should play with me and my 2 idiot friends at some point. Or I should join you and Audiophile.

Calling him "A 1981 Firebird" is fantastic. I'm not sure if my tag is lame, awesome or in the middle. At least you can easily shorten it to "moon" in a pinch.

Audiophile came over to my place earlier today, and we traded off every level on Horde for a while. We ended up playing with some guy whose usertag was "A 1981 Firebird", or some similar car. We made it a point to call him by his full gamertag the entirety of the match. "Look out, A 1981 Firebird, here comes a flamethrower!", "Hey, A 1981 Firebird, do you need some help?", "Hey A 1981 Firebird, do you like Halo?", Etc.
that's hilarious.

I'm not sure if my tag is lame, awesome or in the middle. At least you can easily shorten it to "moon" in a pinch.
what is it? though i'm gonna go on record now and say it's lame. just like U2's new album is lame.

Popmofo and I were discussing this just yesterday....the PS3 is doomed. Prices are coming down for bluray players so that marketing position is gone.

The PS3 is still far and away the best commercially available Blu-Ray player on the market today (other than the Sony ES5300, but that's more of a home theatre receiver with a player built in). Wi-fi and HDD space, plus the functionality of gaming and internet browsing make it better than anything any other company has come out with, for $399 - the same price as a mid-range standalone player.

As for games, they aren't doing anything to impressive with PS3 exclusive games and the games that are on both consoles always seem to play andlook better on the 360 anyways.

Incorrect. The PS3 has faster video processing and a better video card than the 360. You can easily tell the difference when playing the same game on similar settings using the same setup (1080p HDTV and a good HDMI cable).

Who even knows if bluray will be here to stay?

Absofuckinglutely Blu-Ray is here to stay. There's no going back at this point, now that the format war is over and HD DVD is completely gone. Sony only makes one model of DVD player anymore that isn't built into a home theatre receiver, and most of the other major companies are in a similar position. There is a reason why most of the DVD players you find now are from companies that don't make much else. There might have been some doubt when the players were $1000, but now that you can get one for $250 Blu-Ray is going to stick around till we get a UHDTV disc format (probably a decade away).

The system is anything but "doomed". Sony's marketing hasn't been the greatest but the PS3 is the technically better system, and I would recommend getting one just for the BD player, even if you plan on never once ever playing a game on it.

Ha, awesome.

In turn, you missed out on me and my two LA buddies playing public Whorde....and we ended up with a ten year old kid whose gamer tag was Box(followed by two numerals, forget which). It took the three of us about two waves to thoroughly exasperate Box, who was a better player than any of us, with our nonsense. At one point, one of us cursed, and I yelled "There's a ten year old playing, stop cursing", whereupon Box said "All of you shut the fuck up!" and after that I literally could not stop laughing for the rest of the game. We made it to Wave 10, and Box was knocked down and bleeding, yelling for us to save him. I then told him that we would not at all save him, that he was going to learn about just how rough life was, and then the rest of us died, but not before Box could tell us that we all sucked ass. Classic. Box might be the love child of Lazarus and U2Kitten, not sure.

That's an awesome story.

2003_radio_001.jpg

The double teabag may very well be the highlight of my holiday break. That and listening to Girl Talk for the first time.

That's almost as good as Ph0t0n1c Ph34r.

Any gamertag that starts and ends with Xx or xX is an automatic phail.

Not sure if you opened the article, but here's the one we were referring to, Dave:

PS3 Sags in Battle Again Xbox 360, Wii - WSJ.com

The problem is that Sony is treating their market failures with the PS3 just like Sega treated the Dreamcast, in other words, in the typical Japanese way of business they're not admitting the reality of weakness or failure in the marketplace. Sony is laying people off left and right, Blu-Ray's sales aren't even remotely close to where Sony thought they'd be even a year ago, there ARE far better Blu-Ray players in regards to pricing, their biggest titles are dropping like flies to other systems, their system that is "better on paper" has yet to prove it, and they are about 5 years behind on figuring out how to integrate the internet into their system.

Dave, can you honestly think of any cross platform games other than Burnout Revenge that the industry universally has concluded "it looks better AND plays as well as the 360 on the PS3"? There are multiple reasons for this. Cell processors are a pain to develop on (for both PS3 and computer programming), the PS3 launched to developers with almost non-existent development tools (and supposedly are still behind where the 360 and Wii's tools were when both of those systems even launched), and developers realize they're still going to sell at least double (if not triple or quadruple in some cases) on the same title on 360 (and thus are a bit more accepting of skimping or saying "good enough" on release day).

We're just saying (I assume Audiophile is saying this as well, because I actually know him in real life) that at this point if Sony DID shed their Japanese business ways and tried to change things, it may be too behind the curve to make the actual PS3 ever be anything but #3 of this generation. We're not saying that it'll never have good games, it's a piece of garbage, or that "anyone who has one is an idiot!1!!!". To be honest, I'd probably buy one myself if they were cheaper and there were more than 2 games I wanted (I say this after getting burned on the Wii's game line up...). The PS3 had some great looking first party titles this year, but we've yet to see the promised "considerably better" power of the system. If that does happen in the next year two before the next Xbox comes out, I'll probably get one.

The main reason I'm holding out on a Blu Ray player is because digital distribution is such a wild card right now. Between the Xbox Marketplace, iTunes, Hulu, Amazon, etc... combined with the price of hard drives and stuff, how is that business model not going to follow the route of digital music soon?

I prefer having DVDs, but if I can get the same quality put onto my hard drive, stick it into my 360 that's equipped with an HDMI cable onto my 720 TV, what am I missing at a lower cost?

But what about the audio commentary where you can find out what Keanu's motivation was?!

Ha.

Imagine a Star Trek II game.

How goes GTA IV?

I can't wrap my mind around playing a decent Star Trek game, let alone one based on the one dearest to my heart.

GTA's been awesome. I'm going to go back to actually following the storyline in a day or two.

I'd hop on Live, but I just realized it's almost 11:30 and I haven't had dinner yet. I'm going to go grab something (food, not a dude's crotch, you bastards).

I can't wrap my mind around playing a decent Star Trek game, let alone one based on the one dearest to my heart.

GTA's been awesome. I'm going to go back to actually following the storyline in a day or two.

The story line is great. There is one particular job that just blew my mind. I'll try to do multi-player with you before you go back to the storyline.

I'll shut up trying to defend the PS3 for now. The XBOX360 is, admittedly, a pretty sweet system, and if I had $400 to go buy the system and the games I'd probably head down to the store right now, to show you all what a real player can do on something like LIVE. :wink: To each their own. I really just kick into autopilot when it comes to explaining the PS3's features, since I sell them all day every day to people who know nothing about any of the systems. We rarely sell a PS3 based on the games anymore, it's mostly due to the Blu-Ray player and wi-fi that people are enticed to buy.

I sent my PS3 away for service yesterday. I expected it to take weeks for the shipping box to get to me, but I asked for it on the 23rd and got it on the 29th (the first day it really could have gotten here since companies tend not to ship on the 24th-28th). I'm very impressed at how speedy this is. Hopefully I get it back just as quickly in the next week or so. I'm itching to get a new game or two. Right now I've got it narrowed down to the following:

- Call of Duty: World at War
- LittleBigPlanet
- NHL 09 (although at this point in the season I might just wait for NHL 2010)
- FIFA 09

I really would like a game that I can easily play online, since most of what I've got doesn't do too well online (MGS4 for some reason will not download the patch it needs no matter what I try, MLB 08 has an awful matchmaking system, and people always get disconnected or quit in Madden when I'm up by 21 points). LBP looks like a lot of fun, but I'd really like to shoot some motherfuckers too. Any suggestions?

Also, I have yet to try GTA4 online. What's it like, what are the options? Is it just missions or can you roam around Liberty City in some sort of gigantic freestyle deathmatch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom