protecting wi-fi signal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ah, nevermind i think. i have the firewall enabled so perhaps i'm already protected.

edit** or not lol. it says the network's open access, so how do i go about securing it then?

Last edited:
Go into the router's admin screens in your internet browser and set up a password and encryption setting there.

I have a Linksys router and its address is 192.168.1.1 (I type this for the browser address).

Go to the wireless security tab and set a password in "WPA Shared Key" for example. Also set the security mode (I use WPA2).

Last edited:
What brand of router/modem do you have?

I usually do two things:

Change the SSID and turn off broadcasting (so you have to know the name of the network in order to try to get on it)

Make a "key" which is basically a password for the network.

We can give you detailed instructions if we know the brand and model of your router.

Then, you have to go to Network Connections in the Control Panel and right click on Wireless. Go to Properties and click the Wireless Networks tab. Click the "Add" button. Enter in the name of the SSID you created, uncheck "The key is provided for me automatically" and then enter the key twice.

Just enable a network key from your router's settings area.

This is usually reached by going into your internet browser and typing 192.168.1.1

And give it a nasty name. My network's name is "This network has a virus." :wink:

I think mine is "Mr. Fancypants Internet" or something.

I wanted to name it something hilarious like "It's Not Gay if the Balls Don't Touch", 'cause I live in a building with a lot of networks.

Back
Top Bottom