possibly dead blackberry storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reggo

Blue Crack Addict
I guess Snowmageddon was too much for my Storm 1 because the second I took it outside last night, it decided to shut off and won't turn back on. Yes, I know it's the POS Storm 9530 and I should feel grateful it has lasted for 1.5 years. HOWEVER. I had stuff on my crackberry. I had contacts I hadn't backed up to my memory card and pictures and notes to myself in my memopad. My mom also has the same phone so I tried switching batteries. No bueno. I've tried hooking it up to my PC both with and without the battery and all I get is the little "waiting" icon. Please don't tell me my crackberry is dead. I needz it. It's my precioussssssssssssss.

...I'm hosed, aren't I? :sigh:

Have you tried booting without your memory card? It could be something wrong with that.

I still have that POS Storm for when I leave the country, it sort of functions. It won't update though. But for an emergency phone, it will do until I get a world phone next year.

Tried that. I think it's well and truly dead.

My mom has a Storm as well, so I was able to use that to get my pictures and a ringtone off my memory card. And most of my contacts were backed up to the itty bitty card. I found

BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

And have tried it a few times, but I think I sapped whatever charge that might've been in the battery doing it too much. I'm gonna let it charge for 30 minutes or so and give it one last try. failing that, RIP Crackberry.

give it a few days.

i spilled a large cup of soda from wendy's on my phone a few years ago... it didn't work at all for a few days, then as the parts dried out, it was able to load again.

other than that, you could take it to verizon and see if they can get the data off of it.

word of advice... on the next phone, get yourself a free dropbox account and use it to backup your phone files. they have a blackberry ap.

Thanks, but I'm going to get an LG and stay away from smartphones for a while. It doesn't even turn on anymore, so it's not stuck in the reboot cycle. And I wiped the OS trying to reinstall a new one, so it's a paperweight. Keeping the SD card if Verizon will let me, even if I have to pay for it.

Sorry you had such problems. I support about 30 BB's at my office and we have a few of the original "Storms".

The crackberry site is very helpful as mentioned above.

I recently updated all our "Storms" to the latest OS. They are pretty durable and all of ours are still operating. One of them was mine for a while. I left it on my truck bumper in the rain once and I successfully revived it.

If any phone gets wet simply stick it in a bowl of rice or all the silica gel packets you kept (I keep all I get...very useful in this situation). I also take apart as much as possible and have a fan blowing over it for as long as possible. BE SURE the battery is removed during this process (sorry iphone fans).

I've revived lots of phones this way.

One of the nicest aspects of BB's is the software support available. I've reloaded dozens of them, performed backups, OS updates, etc.

I know you are probably out of luck by now...but hopefully someone will be helped by this post.

Back
Top Bottom