Pop ups / Virus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicy

Sizzlin' Sicilian
Staff member
So I'm an idiot and was downloading music and it wouldnt play a song and it told me to download some program and since then I've been getting pop ups every time I get online. I deleted the program, ran ad aware, spy bot and norton and I'm still getting the pop ups. Any idea what else I can do? :sigh:

Depends on what virus it is. There is a newer worm out that does a lot of popups. Our security manager has researched it an submitted files to Symantec/Norton, but so far our only permanent working solution has been to reinstall the operating system. For starters, I would do a System Restore. Always run scans in Safe Mode if you aren't already.

I'm so afraid of uploading music, movies etc.
My first real crash happend just after HTDAAB was released.
I was in iTunes when it crashed..
Maybe it will be better when I get really good antivirus installed.
:huh: who knows..

Did the System Restore help? I don't know if that works or not b/c the computer I worked on that had the new virus had System Restore disabled. :der:

I dont even know what System Restore does. If it involves having to wipe my system or re-install my programs, I'm not down.

omg, System Restore is the greatest thing ever! It restores the system back to a previous state, of your choosing. I think most computers automatically add a restore point before every Windows update, which are many. It will not touch files like documents, pictures, music, etc. I used it just the other day b/c I installed some trial software that effed up my computer. I just restored it back to the way it was the day before I installed the software.

I got a virus last week, and I had to go into Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel and actually uninstall a couple of things. This was after running Spybot, Adaware and a virus scan.

Liesje said:
omg, System Restore is the greatest thing ever! It restores the system back to a previous state, of your choosing. I think most computers automatically add a restore point before every Windows update, which are many. It will not touch files like documents, pictures, music, etc. I used it just the other day b/c I installed some trial software that effed up my computer. I just restored it back to the way it was the day before I installed the software.

hmmm ok I'll have to try this tomorrow. I'm still scared though.

You can undo any System Restore if it doesn't work.

April, if it quarantined them, you should be fine. If it said "access denied" or something like that, then you want to re-run the scan in Safe Mode. The AV cannot quarantine or delete a virus file while it is running, and viruses are usually detected because they are running. Most AVs now scan for spyware, adware, and malware as well, so the threats could have been one of those and not a virus.

I don't think laptops are more vulnerable. Maybe because they are mobile, they are more likely to be connected to the Internet, especially "open" connections that have no protection of their own, but the computer itself is not any more or less vulnerable. I've been primarily using a laptop for 3 years now, always connected to the Internet, and have never had my AV detect a threat.

Last edited:
It seems the pop ups have stopped today. I have no idea if it was from anything I did (I did not do the system restore) so I'm just going to be knocking on wood here. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom