Poll: Tell me what you think about MAC VS PC topic.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fca780

Acrobat
Where you live should not decide, Whether you live
This is a poll I made (of 2) about why would you prefer a PC than a mac. The other one is about why would you prefer a mac than a PC. Inspired by the "Get a Mac" campaign of Apple, please let me know what you think! it's pretty important (college project).
The poll is located at my blog, in the right column below FCA FEATURES section: http://www.fca780.blogspot.com/
Thanks a lot!
-FCA

Last edited:
I have a PC because that's what I have always had. I used MACs at school for years and was going to buy one then the district decided to go with PCs. The fact that one of my children works for HP may have something to do with my decision also. I answered your survey on your site.

I got a MacBook at the beginning of the school year. I absolutely love it. I've had no problems with it, I can run any program that I need, and it runs a lot faster with less problems than any PCs I've had before. For example, on my PC, I could never have more than 4-5 Gbs of music on the hard drive without it slowing down immensely. But, on my Mac, I currently have 17.59 Gb of music in iTunes, and the Mac runs just as fast as the day I took it out of the box.

I've always had a PC. When I went to college, I worked on campus as a computer lab assistant and a tech, so I got some experience with Macs. They seemed all right...but I just have such a familiarity with PCs that I can't see myself going out and getting a Mac. I've just had such limited exposure and experience with them.

PC-- Why Medieval Total War 2. :drool:

I am almost done conquering the Known world.

I grew up with macs and was a staunch defender of them...until I started regularly using my mother's work pc laptop, with much better programs, and our mac crashed twice losing all of our data. So I got a dell laptop for college, and though dell itself sucks (motherboard, ac adaptor, fan, and screen case have all been replaced, luckily under warranty, and their customer service is the worst in the world) I prefer the pc interface and programs I can use with it over the mac. I do now have to deal with viruses and spyware but I will never forgive mac for some of the date they lost us - twice. Plus once mac gets popular enough it will both have viruses targetted at it and will force pc to get better.

Also I think PC allows a user who knows what they are doing to have better control over the computer.

Anyway this youtube video pretty much sums up my mac experience - it gets particularly amazing around 3 minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axC-7O4Yq-w&NR

neutral, I love to have 5 macs in my house that would be :drool:
what models are they?
Varitek, I'm sorry for your "bad apple" experience man...but I don't any viruses will come for macs, specially for Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) just because is based on UNIX and a lot of hackers have tried already and only was available to send a bug via iChat.
Thanks for all your votes and the commentaries, and for been part of my college project...:), hope more people vote!
-FCA

Last edited:
It's not really true that PCs have crappier hardware and software. If you were to get PC software and hardware that was actually comparable to the quality and quantity of what is typically used in Macs, they'd be about the same price. There are fewer choices for Mac units and the low-ends start much higher-end that PCs. They're not "better" than PCs because they are different, they're better b/c you generally pay 2-3 times as much than a PC with not as good components.

Personally, I prefer Macs. I like how they look, they work better with my hobbies and interests, and I'm comfortable enough with them that I have no trouble using both types of computers daily.

That said, I bought a new computer last night and it's a Windows PC. I'm not a power-user, I have a new Mac at work I can use when I want, so I don't need to spend thousands on something a PC can do no problem. I tried to get a Mac, but I couldn't justify my uses with the cost and the specs.

Computers are what YOU make of them. If you do things without knowing how it could hurt the computer, you shouldn't blame the computer. I'm a computer technician and computer-for-computer I see just as many major OS failures and hardware failures across platforms. Yes, the Windows OS is not as secure, but all you have to do is run the updates, install an anti-virus, and not download spyware. I've been purchasing my own PCs since I was 17 and I've never had a virus or spyware problem, and I've never paid money or had to upgrade my computer to make it more secure. Windows is not the only OS used on PCs, so Apple vs PCs is a whole different argument than Mac vs. Windows OS.

Macs and PCs are great. If you know what you're doing with a PC you won't have any more problems then using a typical Mac.

Macs have the edge in their beautifully-designed hardware, though. They look great on the outside, and if you ever open up a professional-grade Mac desktop and poke around their engineers know what they're doing.

Bonochick said:
I've always had a PC. When I went to college, I worked on campus as a computer lab assistant and a tech, so I got some experience with Macs. They seemed all right...but I just have such a familiarity with PCs that I can't see myself going out and getting a Mac. I've just had such limited exposure and experience with them.

My thoughts exactly :up:

The only reason for me to get a Mac is if I get a dedicated setup going with Protools and shit, and that's a few jobs and a few apartments down the line.

The only reason I'd get a Mac is for the iLife programs:

Garage Band, Final Cut, iMovie, and whatever else is on it.

I edit using Final Cut in my TV Production class, and it is the best thing ever.

Adobe's program on the PC is alot less wieldy. There probably is better editing software for the PC, but I don't know where to get it.

Mac...That is the only thing in our house... My parents don't like to work with PC's...

I also just find Macs easier to work with when I'm doing reports and projects...But man I love those brand new Mac laptops..

Are school uses Macs because they think its easier to work with and to be able to learn how to take something from iphoto with garage band and take them into to and use imovie.

Macs:up:

I have to say, whenever I finally land a good job out of university and I get my parents something nice, it'll probably be a Mac.

I trust OSX not to mess up with my non-savvy family more than I trust windows.

xaviMF22 said:
PC's bitches....as a gamer it it all you could want :wink:
you can always make a paritition with boot camp and run windows just for games or the other famous techonology nowdays in macs; virtualization; Parallels.
And my fav game anyway is The Sims 2 and is available for mac so, no problemo for now...:wink:

btw...guys is it ok to use some of your commentaries for my results report? thanks!
and wow..72 people have voted (I posted this poll in other 2 message boards) thanks really for all of your votes!

fca780 said:

you can always make a paritition with boot camp and run windows just for games or the other famous techonology nowdays in macs; virtualization; Parallels.
And my fav game anyway is The Sims 2 and is available for mac so, no problemo for now...:wink:

Or, you could build your own sweet gaming PC with all the specs needed for high-end gaming and still pay less than a lower-end Mac.

martha said:

Yes, you may tell the world how great macs are and how lame pcs are. :D

:up: thanks a lot guys!:rockon: :lol: ^ hehe, I was thinking in that but..nah! lol!

Liesje said:

Or, you could build your own sweet gaming PC with all the specs needed for high-end gaming and still pay less than a lower-end Mac.
who said macs were lower-end? some are even more optimized for games (ex.: video card) than most of the PCs that get stucked in middle of your game...anyway can use that also? :)
Thanks guys! Hope you can vote on Poll #2 too! I'll tell you when I post the results report on my blog...although there are some interesting articles worth the reading in the blog right now
:wink:
peace
-FCA

fca780 said:

who said macs were lower-end? some are even more optimized for games (ex.: video card) than most of the PCs that get stucked in middle of your game...anyway can use that also? :)

Did you read my posts? I said even the lowest-end Macs are already far more beefed up than most middle-end PCs. IMO, the reason why a lot of people, even gamers, use PCs and not Macs is b/c Macs don't give you much choice and you can't easily build one from scratch to meet the specs you need. For example, like I said earlier I wanted to get a Mac laptop, but the second I went up a display size, ALL the other specs went up as well, all things I don't want or need (and don't want to PAY for). Just b/c I want a 15" display doesn't mean I need a 250 GB hard drive and all these other bells and whistles. Gamers are concerned with graphics and video performance, not much else. Why would they spend several thousand on a Mac when they could easily build such a computer for less than a thousand and still have the video components they need? Sure, some Macs can run the games, but you'd be paying 2-3 times as much. Gamers aren't concerned with all the other Mac add-ons, so it doesn't make sense to spend way more on a Mac because the Mac performs better at functions they'll never use.

I've never heard of a gaming PC getting stuck in the middle of a game....

i :heart: my macbook pro. all my artist friends had mac, and i sweated them throughout college b/c i had a lame desktop. i was committed to getting one after college, so i saved up. i think it was well worth it.

however, to be honest, if i could do it again, i would've gotten the macbook instead of the pro. back in the day, i used to hack, make videos, graphic design, web design etc. now my computer usage has become limited to research and interference. i'm definitely not using this thing to it's fullest capacity. i would've been just as well with a macbook and been $1000 richer.

as for PCs...they don't really SUCK...too much. but i do find the mac easier to use. the OS is so much better. and they are less vulnerable to attack.

my family has only used PCs. but has had problems with every single one of them. they are always in and out of the shop. once their computers die, they're considering getting macs.

in short: i think macs were built to rock. if you want your PC to rock, you gotta build it yourself.

Well, Mac, no question for me. The only two PC games that have been able to catch my interest are Mac-compatible anyway (World of Warcraft and Civilization 4) - It has better interface, performance and looks. And it's faster.

I couldn't live without my sweet little iBook G4. It's from 2003, and it still seems 2-3 years ahead most laptops, simply because of OS X and the great design that's gone into it.

Everyone, get a Mac ;)

I have a Powerbook 12inch and in the second Leopard is launched I will buy my MacBook Pro (I already saved for that...and obviously I'm thinking in getting more memory, 120gb maybe) and yeah, you're a witness redhotswami, of how powerfull intel macs can be.
Liesje, I read your posts, but macs are made for the people who want to be ahead in what normal PCs of gamers or let's say also "excel-only" employees of some companies.
My point is that there is no excuse for a gamer to say that he or she wouldn't buy a mac because of the graphics/video performance and although you are not using all of your iLife suite at some point you'll do because we all have the need to wonder thourgh this things that are pretty interesting, for ex. I have use iMovie only 2 times in my life, but I use a lot iWeb for my webpage. I mean maybe you are not using all of your built-in apps but you are going to use a lot of them and some you just can throw to the trash and save memory. Now for what I understand, if you just enjoy building up a PC that is your choice but I prefer using the latest tech available in the market and see how Apple impresses me once again. Like with the iPhone, took my expectations way farther. oh and don't make start talking about the UI...hehe
oh and btw..(now that I remember that I'm in a U2-related forum) I remember seeing Edge in "A Day in the Life of the Edge" using a powerbook 12 inch too, so I'm happy for that oh and obviously you know what Dallas & the other guys use backstage...:)
-FCA

fca780 said:

Liesje, I read your posts, but macs are made for the people who want to be ahead in what normal PCs of gamers or let's say also "excel-only" employees of some companies.
My point is that there is no excuse for a gamer to say that he or she wouldn't buy a mac because of the graphics/video performance and although you are not using all of your iLife suite at some point you'll do because we all have the need to wonder thourgh this things that are pretty interesting, for ex. I have use iMovie only 2 times in my life, but I use a lot iWeb for my webpage. I mean maybe you are not using all of your built-in apps but you are going to use a lot of them and some you just can throw to the trash and save memory. Now for what I understand, if you just enjoy building up a PC that is your choice but I prefer using the latest tech available in the market and see how Apple impresses me once again.
-FCA

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Mac user/lover myself. I realize Macs have the same video capabilities. What I'm saying is, say I only have $800 to spend. With that, I could build myself a high-end gaming PC, no problem! As for Macs, that would get me the cheapest Mac available if I had and ed discount, or some reburb, neither of which would work for what I want to do. Sure Macs have great video components, but you can't build one from scratch and save yourself a thousand dollars like you can with a PC. My husband is a gamer and he'd never consider a Mac b/c why would he want a 250 GB hard drive? He'd rather save that money and use it on an even better graphics card. He couldn't care less if he was iLife suite or not. iLife doesn't play his games so why would he spend way more on a Mac to have it? Many gamers prefer PCs because there is way more choice. You can build your own machines and not be limited to the smaller range of specs available when you purchase a Mac. The reason I did not get a Mac this last time was because the range of specs was so limited, I couldn't get what I really wanted b/c it added all these things I didn't need and couldn't afford.

I can't say one way or the other about the Mac software b/c I don't use it and never had a need to. I already have perfectly good programs that I use for graphic design, web design, web publishing, video editing, etc. iLife isn't necessarily "the latest and the greatest technology". There's much more professional stuff available for Mac and PC (for example the applications I use for web design I have on my Mac and PCs). I'm sure iLife is a good program, but it's not like other programs don't do the exact same things on both PCs and Macs. It's probably the most user-friendly in it's quality range, but none of my web design and computer programming friends use it and we get on with our jobs just fine.

Like I said originally, neither platform is inherently "better" than the other. I'm not really defending PCs here, I'm just saying that Macs aren't really any better than a high-end PC b/c they've got the same stuff. Dollar per dollar, they're basically the same. You really can't compare most common PCs to Macs because the specs are so uneven. Of course a Mac is going to last longer and perform better than a $400 PC desktop. Unfortunately, most people don't think this far ahead and develop this assumption that PCs are "worse" in general. If you built or purchased your PC to have comparable hardware components, you would be spending the same as you would on a Mac.

It's really only a matter of personal choice and what rage of specs are available for each platform.

Like I said before, I'm a computer technician and I fix both machines everyday. If you take into account the fact that 2/3 of our people use PCs and 1/3 use Macs, the ratio of major hardware or operation system failures for both platforms is pretty much even.

Macs are actually far more difficult to service (hardware-wise) than any PCs. For example, the Shift key on the keyboard of my aunt's Pro broke and we had to replace the keyboard. With a PC laptop, you flip two latches and pull the keyboard off. It takes about 2 minutes to replace a keyboard. With the Pro it took our hardware people several hours, as the laptop had to be taken apart in several places and the components are very difficult to reseat. Another example - Friday a professor put a CD into a new iMac and the drive was broken so it would not mount or eject the CD. The iMac doesn't have a manual eject and to remove the drive the whole thing had to be ripped apart, plus the drive itself had to be taken apart to get the CD back. Macs are designed for looks, style and portability, but are beasts when it comes to repair and servicing.

Back
Top Bottom