As if we needed another...
Old 01-23-2007, 11:40 PM   #65
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
These are my compies.

On the left is my personal laptop, in the middle is my work Intel iMac, and on the right is my work GX620:

Talk about multitasking...

Old 01-23-2007, 11:41 PM   #66
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 11:48 AM
I prefer MACs. I find them more intuitive and stable. They are also more aesthetically pleasing. I like the idea that a computer doesn't have to have a tower.

However, the high price point makes it difficult for me to reommend them to people. I have both a windows and a Mac. I find I can generally find my way around the Windows PC much easier, but that's only because I am used to it. The Mac, however, is really much more self-explanatory I find. Usually when I can't figure something out it's because I am looking to hardo find it.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:57 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

LIES! Omg you like CompUSSR??? I used to work there in the tech shop. Not the greatest job ever, but I have to say, back when I worked there, we were the only store that actually worked on computers. Best buy sent all theirs away.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:42 AM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami
LIES! Omg you like CompUSSR??? I used to work there in the tech shop. Not the greatest job ever, but I have to say, back when I worked there, we were the only store that actually worked on computers. Best buy sent all theirs away.
Yep, I like the local one b/c I like the guys that work on the floor. They don't swarm you b/c you're a girl, like they do at BestBuy, and then look stupefied when you ask a legit technical question. When I tell them I'm a technician, they're like "oh, ok, so you're probably much more interested in...." instead of the guys at BestBuy who are like "oh, miss, do you know what RAAAAAAM isssss?" Plus, their store has better deals and more choice, even though it's smaller. And you can barter with them Oh, and they sell all the Mac stuff as well (and are less crowded than the Apple Store), so it's one stop shopping pour moi.

BestBuy annoys me. They never have anything I actually need (they've got this hugeass store and they'll have like ONE choice for a computer component). The GeekSquad annoys me too. I have a super duper warranty on my digicam and when Bono sprayed the champagne into the lens, I took it back to be professionally cleaned under warranty. I guess I figured if you're a trained and paid technician and your store covers these things, you'd be able to take apart the camera and clean it out. Instead, the GeekSquad had to "send it away" for several weeks and then mail it back to my doorstep. That was like living without my soul for two weeks. I should have just done it myself.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:27 AM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Yeah, I do like that they carry apple stuff, too. I'm surprised that some stores are still sexist when it comes to women and computers. Customers were pretty sexist with me. Saying "I need to speak to a technician" when they approached me. When I told them I was, they said "Oh...well I need to speak to a REAL one." or soemthing to that effect. It happened quite often to me.

However, CompUSSR recently discovered the benefits of having female computer salespersons on the floor. I think their reasoning was that people trust women more then men or something. They tried to get me to do sales, so I said hell no and quit.

Isn't that ridiculous how they send EVERYTHING away? I don't know why they are called the Geek Squad, because they aren't computer geeks in any respect. I think they just hire anyone for that position because they really don't do any sort of repairs or anything themselves.

Last time I went, I was asked out by one of the Geek Squads. Now I have to scope out the scene before hitting up the one in Tenleytown.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:48 AM   #70
The Fly

Anyone know how difficult it would be to modify a MAC PRO case to accept "PC guts"?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:55 AM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not really sure. Our standard Macs are all laptops or iMacs, and those are nigh unto impossible to deal with (compared to PCs). There are a few Mac Pros on campus, but they are bought w/ grant money and maintained by the profs using them for their projects (the day we can afford to make a Mac Pro the standard desktop is the day I die and go to heaven). If I had a Mac Pro case in my shop, I'd go take it apart, but I'm pretty sure I don't.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #72
The Fly

I am way overdue for a new PC. I have upgraded it over the years to the point that it is just not worth it any more. As an IT guy myself, I deal with MS OS's all day and had thought that it might be nice to go home to something different. Having never used a MAC and looking at the prices (priced a MAC PRO to just under 8K), I think it would make more sense for me to build another "super PC" and shove it inside a MAC case for aesthetic purposes and then get one of those giant beautiful Apple Cinema displays. Also, does anyone know if Apple supports RAID?.....decisions, decisions
Old 01-25-2007, 12:18 PM   #73
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

I noticed Best Buy now sells MACs. Saw them yesterday.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:32 PM   #74
Acrobat

Location: Where you live should not decide, Whether you live or whether you die
Sorry for not replying to you before, Liesje, I was in the beach, very relaxing btw...lol.
I think our main topic between us was the gamer need of a PC, check out this article courtesy Macworld, to my blog, it's interesting: http://fca780.blogspot.com/2007/01/v...bout-os-x.html
I'll read your posts tomorrow in the afternoon peacefully, so we can continue the discussion, hehe.
-FCA
Old 01-25-2007, 11:41 PM   #75
Acrobat

Location: Where you live should not decide, Whether you live or whether you die
Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver
I noticed Best Buy now sells MACs. Saw them yesterday.
yes and Circuit City...they are coming closer baby!