Poll II: Mac VS PC topic, please vote and let me know why would your prefer a Mac!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fca780

Acrobat
Where you live should not decide, Whether you live
Hey everyone. First of all, thank you, thank you & thank you to all of you who voted in the first part. :up: :rockon: And not only voted, but also commented here in the other thread, which makes it even more interesting. You are helping me a lot, believe me!:D
Now in the second part there are 8 options (yeah, a lot I know) to choose from, now about another simpler question, if there were only Macs in the world and you'll have to choose it because it's your only choice in the world, why would you choose it?? What is the thing that carries you to a mac and makes you love it? hehe, very deep, ah?
So, now let's talk about macs...and PCs but in a different persepective. To vote just go to my blog and vote in the poll which is located in the right column below FCA FEATURES section: http://www.fca780.blogspot.com/ Also check out the post about this thing so you can have some info about the results and about this poll.
Thanks again for voting and letting know others about this! Hope we can reach again the 102 votes this time and even more! peace!
-FCA

Last edited:
I voted for the Best Computer Ever option, mainly because I couldn't narrow my choice down to just software, hardware, or portablility. I have a MacBook, and it's crazy light and thin and beautiful, but that's not the only reason I love it.

The software is excellent, to me, the OS X makes more sense to what you're looking for. My example would be if I want to change when my Mac goes to sleep, all I have to do is click on the battery icon at the top, then open the Energy Saver. In Windows, there's several more steps. The other day, my mom wanted me to change the sleep time on her Windows, and it took me forever to find it. Granted, it's because I haven't used Windows in a long enough time, but you'd think it could be made easier to find something simple like that.

The argument that less programs are available on Mac may have been true years ago, but it's just not now. (The exception being in gaming, where Macs are a bit behind.) But, now since Macs can run Windows, there's really no reason for that excuse anymore. Anything that I needed on Windows, I can find on the Mac. It might not be exactly the same program, but it's either very similar, or in many cases, easier to use.

Hardware wise, I like the iSight; it's fun to play with, but it wouldn't be a selling point. The built in microphone came in handy last week when I had to do an interview for school, and I could record the interview without buying any extra equipment.

I just love the Mac as a complete product. :love:

onebloodonelife said:

The argument that less programs are available on Mac may have been true years ago, but it's just not now. (The exception being in gaming, where Macs are a bit behind.)

...and network administration and other programs we use to control/access insanely large groups of users.

Hardware wise, I like the iSight; it's fun to play with, but it wouldn't be a selling point.

Yeah, and PC laptops have built-in webcam/digicam. I just got a new PC laptop and it has one, works the same as the iSight, so it's not really a selling point specifically for Macs.

I agree with the Power options for PCs. The most common way is to go into Display Properties and it's in the Screen Saver tab. Power options should have it's own tab. It's also located in the root of the Control Panel, which is much more intuitive and makes perfect sense, but most people I see using it still go through the Screen saver tab. Like you said, it's all in how you learned it originally. :der:

I didn't vote b/c none of the options really fit for me. I would choose a Mac because it's the right computer for me. It has all the hardware, software, OS, etc that I would want. However, I would never recommend one for my mom or my husband. It totally depends on the user and what functions they need for work and play.

Liesje said:

I didn't vote b/c none of the options really fit for me. I would choose a Mac because it's the right computer for me. It has all the hardware, software, OS, etc that I would want. However, I would never recommend one for my mom or my husband. It totally depends on the user and what functions they need for work and play.
So, Liesje what's your right choice you would create in the poll to choose a mac? I think the first option as onebloodonelife pointed out is the best that fits you because maybe you are not choosing to use macs only or you are saying that you hate PCs but this is your mac, the thing you like, and maybe is just not the OS, but you like it's figure. Let's keep others in their own computers and look ourselves, why we really like the mac. Maybe is more than one option but please vote for the most certain one, cause that will show some of you in the project I guess. Anyway, I love your comments Liesje, really, these are very interesting and honest.

I just love the Mac as a complete product.
that is my excuse too...:)
wow, 14 votes already...thnx again!
-FCA

I suppose "elegance" (not really portability). I like how they look, the complete package (even the packaging, which is an interesting study itself).

It's hard to say though b/c the language of your study already seems biased, like you've already decided Macs are better and now are out to prove it. IMO, it's not so much a "rivalry" between Macs and PC, but which computer is better for what times of work and play. It's a bit futile to compare most of the hardware and software, since most of it is available for both platforms. I would say the differences are the OS and how the computers are built for sales. For example, if you want a great PC, you'll have to look a little further than the showing floor at BestBuy or the homepage of Dell, whereas Apple's store and web page are very simple and the computers listed are great, mid- to high-end computers. They're going after very different demographics, so it's important to keep that in mind when formulating your questions.

Liesje said:

...and network administration and other programs we use to control/access insanely large groups of users.

Ah, see, that's a good point. I don't think about administrative programs because it's not something that I use.

Liesje said:

I agree with the Power options for PCs. The most common way is to go into Display Properties and it's in the Screen Saver tab. Power options should have it's own tab. It's also located in the root of the Control Panel, which is much more intuitive and makes perfect sense, but most people I see using it still go through the Screen saver tab. Like you said, it's all in how you learned it originally. :der:

I originally learned on a Windows, so if someone had asked me to do this before I got a Mac, I probably could have done it in 5 seconds. It's just the fact that I'm more used to the Mac OS now.

onebloodonelife said:

I originally learned on a Windows, so if someone had asked me to do this before I got a Mac, I probably could have done it in 5 seconds. It's just the fact that I'm more used to the Mac OS now.

Ditto. I really enjoy the System Prefs in the dock on a Mac. Even if something doesn't have it's own button up above, it's still one click away rather than Start > Settings > CP or right click Desktop > Properties > Screen Saver > Power. In fact, I wasn't 100% sure it was in the Control Panel until I checked as I was posting :giggle: I also like how System Prefs is pretty user-friendly, so people can easily change things with a lot more confidence than having to dig around the Windows Control Panel or Device Manager.

It's a lot easier to talk through certain processes for users on a Mac. I suppose the flip-side is that for PC users we can login and control their machine remotely (thus avoid talking them through the process) and there are no programs that allow us to do this over our network on a Mac.

Liesje said:

Ditto. I really enjoy the System Prefs in the dock on a Mac. Even if something doesn't have it's own button up above, it's still one click away rather than Start > Settings > CP or right click Desktop > Properties > Screen Saver > Power. In fact, I wasn't 100% sure it was in the Control Panel until I checked as I was posting :giggle: I also like how System Prefs is pretty user-friendly, so people can easily change things with a lot more confidence than having to dig around the Windows Control Panel or Device Manager.

It's a lot easier to talk through certain processes for users on a Mac. I suppose the flip-side is that for PC users we can login and control their machine remotely (thus avoid talking them through the process) and there are no programs that allow us to do this over our network on a Mac.

:yes: I can check my Internet Connection, my fan controls (a third party app), desktop, etc. all in one place.

It's definitely much easier to explain how to do something on a Mac, but like you said, you can go in and remotely control Windows computers, so it's a toss up.

A small story that explains why I like a Mac and would throw a PC out the window.

I was installing a program on my Mac here at school. The instructions for Mac said: Stick the cd in the slot. Click on the icon that appears on your screen. Click on install. Ta-da you're done. The Windows instructions? At least six steps, with all kinds of go-heres and go-theres. And to uninstall? A Mac: Throw it in the trash. Windows: Do this, do that, and then manually throw each item in the trash.

A Mac is a plain, easy to use machine. A PC is like flying a freakin' fighter jet to the store for a bottle of milk. Too damn complicated.

Liesje said:
I suppose "elegance" (not really portability). I like how they look, the complete package (even the packaging, which is an interesting study itself).

It's hard to say though b/c the language of your study already seems biased, like you've already decided Macs are better and now are out to prove it. IMO, it's not so much a "rivalry" between Macs and PC, but which computer is better for what times of work and play. It's a bit futile to compare most of the hardware and software, since most of it is available for both platforms. I would say the differences are the OS and how the computers are built for sales. For example, if you want a great PC, you'll have to look a little further than the showing floor at BestBuy or the homepage of Dell, whereas Apple's store and web page are very simple and the computers listed are great, mid- to high-end computers. They're going after very different demographics, so it's important to keep that in mind when formulating your questions.
Interesting thing you just pointed out, and let me tell you, I thought about that at very beginning of this thing, very different populations, but that's why I'm promotionating this thing here in Interference and in other forums in which there a lot of mac geeks (Macrumors.com) and there are a lot of PC geeks (PC Magazine forums) to make this a fair opinion. I choose that macs are best in the study because of the results of the first poll; 55% to the "I prefer a Mac" option. Actually my personal opinion as you know is that macs are better, mostly in its OS and software, but that is my opinion and I haven't biased anything, just giving my thoughts, cause I don't have any real control under who votes and what are the results. It is true that Dell or any other "PC" computer company doesn't offer the best options in making a good system in either hardware or price, that is something you have to build yourself in the PC world. But anyway, after making a good system, maybe the system of your dreams, excelent hardware but the OS and the software doesn't pay me that in the sense that they simply, suck. To do a simple task you have to brake your brain and see what can you do in what way when in Mac everyhting is very easy to setup and you can be multi-tasks user real fast, for me the UI says it all and I love Tiger and can't imagine having Leopard in my hands!
-FCA

martha said:
A small story that explains why I like a Mac and would throw a PC out the window.

I was installing a program on my Mac here at school. The instructions for Mac said: Stick the cd in the slot. Click on the icon that appears on your screen. Click on install. Ta-da you're done. The Windows instructions? At least six steps, with all kinds of go-heres and go-theres. And to uninstall? A Mac: Throw it in the trash. Windows: Do this, do that, and then manually throw each item in the trash.

A Mac is a plain, easy to use machine. A PC is like flying a freakin' fighter jet to the store for a bottle of milk. Too damn complicated.

:yes: Everything that needs to be installed goes like this: Drag icon to Applications folder.

Annnnnnnnd, Done!

Dude, are you getting paid to promote MACS? I´m very glad you are passionate about something and really enjoy it. But you can stick to your MAC and I´ll stick with my old-fashioned windows and let´s all be happy, ok?

BrownEyedBoy said:
Dude, are you getting paid to promote MACS? I´m very glad you are passionate about something and really enjoy it. But you can stick to your MAC and I´ll stick with my old-fashioned windows and let´s all be happy, ok?
Ok I think someone is kinda angry here...:eyebrow:
I'm getting paid from Apple for the banners in my website to the Apple Store, nothing more...this is a social study from my college and it is not involve with anything that has to do with Apple marketing, I'm not saying you go and buy a mac now or you'll die or you are a loser, I'm just showing and try to understrand the results, anyway your computer doesn't make you the person you are. It is backwards.
love & peace
-FCA

Back
Top Bottom