Please explain to me what an external hard drive is and what it does. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #16
She's the One

Local Time: 07:05 PM
So just a copy of the stuff I want to save, then?

Something like the way a flash drive works?

Old 07-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:05 PM
Yes. Think of it as a really big flash drive!
In addition to it serving as a backup where you store a copy of your files on your PC, you can also use it to store files (music, pictures, etc) and free up the space in your hard drive.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #18
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
For Mac users...having an external HD as your Time Machine is awesome. It has saved my wife's info after a computer crash at least twice.
yeeeees. i have two external drives; one's a time machine, the other is for my music, photos, and videos (music dvds i've ripped).
Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 AM   #19
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
yeeeees. i have two external drives; one's a time machine, the other is for my music, photos, and videos (music dvds i've ripped).
I know we've had this discussion before on here. I stopped counting how many external drives I have in total. I currently use 8 between 2 computers, and my wife uses 6 for her 1 computer. Those are just the ones that are still working.

Yes, a big flash drive is a great description.

But, never, NEVER have your info in only one place. If you don't want to take up HD space with duplicate files, at least burn a DVD copy of stuff.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:11 AM   #20
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i've gotten lazy about having a back up of things
Old 07-22-2010, 01:12 AM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

At work, I was obsessive about backing things up on our shared folders because I once lost a lot of data. But, I'm horrid when it comes to my Mac. I don't even have that much stuff but I should probably get in the habit of backing up what I do have.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:23 AM   #22
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i did the same thing anywhere i worked. though one place i worked didn't give me an option, my computer was this little thing that had no hard drive so all i could do was save to my server file thingie. i think that's its technical name.

if only i had the money to buy more hard drives, i'd do a backup of a backup of a backup of a backup.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:42 AM   #23
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:05 PM
I'm usually too lazy to back up what I have on my personal PC until I have it almost full, then I realize the degradation in performance, and so then I get paranoid and I want to back it up. Only now it's trying to back up 200GB worth of data, and I'm not patient enough to wait for the entire back up to finish. So then I'm screwed anyway.

What's a Time Machine for Mac? Is it just a snapshot of your Mac at a certain time (full backup of it) that you can restore in the event of a crash?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:48 AM   #24
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjacqb View Post
What's a Time Machine for Mac? Is it just a snapshot of your Mac at a certain time (full backup of it) that you can restore in the event of a crash?
That's exactly it--automatic back-up.

It generally saves every hour, then I think it goes day by day and then week by week as time passes. So, depending on how much data you are saving and how big the HD is, you could have your choice to reset your machine back to earlier in the day or the previous week or a month or two back.

When my wife's Mac crashed, we brought the laptop and Time Machine into the Apple Store with us, they replaced the broken HD, and then we simply chose the last back-up off the Time Machine. It is like nothing really happened other than losing a few hours of time and whatever you might have been working on at the time your computer crashes.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:05 PM
An external drive is a bit different than a flash drive/USB "thumb" drive. A flash drive can only be written to so many times. Also they are unreliable when used directly (like plugged in and being opened from/saved to directly). If you use a flash drive you should not use it to backup/store data, it's just a quick means of carrying a few files on the go, and also you should drag and drop from the computer to the drive, not open or save the file directly.

An actual hard drive is different. It functions much better being access directly and being left plugged in. When you have your drive plugged in for a long time, you can hear it sort of shutting off when you're not using it, and spinning back up again when you start to access it.

So, an external hard drive is much BETTER than large flash drive.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #26
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
An external drive is a bit different than a flash drive/USB "thumb" drive. A flash drive can only be written to so many times. Also they are unreliable when used directly (like plugged in and being opened from/saved to directly). If you use a flash drive you should not use it to backup/store data, it's just a quick means of carrying a few files on the go, and also you should drag and drop from the computer to the drive, not open or save the file directly.

An actual hard drive is different. It functions much better being access directly and being left plugged in. When you have your drive plugged in for a long time, you can hear it sort of shutting off when you're not using it, and spinning back up again when you start to access it.

So, an external hard drive is much BETTER than large flash drive.
Very good point. It's good to clarify that.

My largest stick drive is 4GB, and I've never come close to filling it because I only use it to move stuff between computers. It seems like their "write" times vary greatly, too. I find SD cards transfer files faster than USB memory sticks.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #27
She's the One

No, I know it's not really a flash drive; I was just clarifying how an external hard drive works, in a way I can understand.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:05 PM
Newegg.com - Western Digital Elements 1.5TB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive WDBAAU0015HBK-NESN

1.5TB is enough for all your pics and music.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:05 PM
I think I need that, Carlos. I have two externals but one is much smaller (80GB) and full so I can't backup my backup anymore. I keep one at home and one locked at work.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:05 PM
Yeah, that's a hell of a price for 1.5TB.

When I bought mine, it was a 250 GB for $99...this was 2 years ago.

Btw, that a great place to buy stuff.