Playstation 2 wont play DVDs or games, how do I adjust the lens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MooMoo!

New Yorker
My dad found another PS2, and it appears to not like playing games or DVDs, but will play an audio CD. After a search it seems that to fix this involves lens adjustment, which Ive never done, and Im not even 100% sure that I need to.

Can anyone talk me though solving this problem? Ive cleaned the fuck out of the lens and the CD drive, and greased it to hell, so the lens isnt skipping or grinding now (a problem Ive noticed is VERY common in chunky PS2s).

BTW, its definately not the games or DVDs, I tried it with both brand new and used, same problem.

BTW, its definately not the games or DVDs, I tried it with both brand new and used, same problem.

Weird. I have nothing to suggest, but I just wanted to say that our PS2 will play all the dvds that our dvd player is too finicky to play, including burned dvds. Good luck figuring it out, though!

You mention "chunky", is it one of the older, larger versions?

I had one of those and the laser started acting up after 2 years or so, it would play PS2 games and DVDs but it would not read PS1 games anymore. This is apparently a very common problem with the old PS2's, the only fix I ever heard about was sending it back to Sony to replace the laser at a cost which given how cheap the new slim version is these days is probably not worth it...

Yeah its one of the older bigger ones. Im not desperate to fix it, since its not my personal PS2, just one my dad found, but I would like to fix it, since it game with a lot of backup games, which leads me to believe its chipped. :shifty:

Ill have a fiddle with the lens screw, see if it makes a difference. My own PS2 is also an old/big one, but I remember it having a slightly different internal layout to this one, so I spose ones newer/older than the other.

Well Ive fixed it to play the PS1 and PS2 games, but it still wont play DVDs. I cant understand why, since the PS2 games are DVDs, but its close enough.

DVD's have more information, hence the requirement for the player to be 100% operational. Cd's and games will require less, that's why they are working.

Id have thought the DVD games would have more (and more complex) info, but either way. As long as the games work thats good enough, I have enough DVD players to choke a giraffe. :D

Back
Top Bottom