Pixelated Monitor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicy

Sizzlin' Sicilian
Staff member
Ok I sent some pictures to my dad.. (perfect high quality) and when he saved them this is what they look like :huh:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/sicycat/General/nicklaugh4p.jpg

and even when I was over the other day surfing the net, some of the pictures online even looked like that. I checked the monitor settings but I didnt see anything weird. It seems to have started happening since they bought a new computer (e-machine - PC)

Any thoughts? :scream:

Sicy said:
(e-machine - PC)

There's the problem! :wink:

My dad had an e-machine and it was one of the worst computers I've ever used.
Don't know what to say about the pixelated font. :/

Shit. :sad: So I guess its not the monitor?

The older pics on the computer that we moved over from the last computer are fine. :slant:

Hmm I'm wondering if it has something to do with just pics from the internet/browser because I downloaded some pics on their comp for my mom from her camera of my cousins wedding and those came out fine. The pics I sent my Dad via email were fine but when he saved them I think he's saving them from the browser. They're using IE maybe I'll DL Firefox and see if that makes a difference. :sigh: No wonder the comp was so cheap.

Sicy said:

The older pics on the computer that we moved over from the last computer are fine. :slant:

well was a different (worse) camera used to take the new ones? that could be it or a different brand of memory card :shrug:

Sicy said:
when he saved them

Could there be some sort of setting that changes the size of the file (which can affect the quality) that automatically applies to any pics that he saves? :shrug: That is totally a shot in the dark, as I've never heard of such a problem. :huh:

I dont think that's it because the pictures actually LOOK that way on the browser before they're saved :slant: Even on various websites...

Despite the crappyness of the inherent computer system, that should have absolutley NO effect on the JPEG or GIF image files or whatever you're sending him.

Never heard of this problem before. The only thing I can think of is that they pictures might be automatically compressed and their quality boondoggled when going through the email tubes.

Try to zip up some pictures in a zip file, attach that to an email, and explain to him how to unzip them at the other end. Those should be high-qual fo sho.

But the pictures are like that in the browser when you look at them, even when you're simply surfing the net :huh: That's the really weird part.

Trying to save that jpeg file wants to save it as a bmp file :huh: .
Maybe photobucket is compressing it. You might need to clean out the IE temp files.

If they look that way while he's browsing the 'net, is the ISP set to compress images? I've seen this before when people use something like NetZero "high speed" which is just your same ol' dial-up, but it compresses images so it loads "faster".

Yup, that's definately a compression issue. I had the same effect going back when I had Dial-up AOL. I know on AOL they used to have an option whether you want images to compress or not. I haven't even seen NetZero in person so I have no idea. Have you tried calling tech support?

You're a freaking life saver.. gonna try that on Sunday when I go to my parents house. Thanks!!! :bow:

For you digital camer how many MP is it? If it's less than 4 you can expect this.

Not anywhere near that bad, Justin, unless you were to blow up the image a lot. Less than 4 doesn't mean it will pixelate any more, it just means that it's max size will be smaller than cams with more MPs.

Ah yeah, so it looks like it's their 'superduper high speed filter' that makes content smaller for faster webpage loads.

Justin24 said:
For you digital camer how many MP is it? If it's less than 4 you can expect this.

What? I use 3.2s and my pics are like this

If you use a digital zoom, then yes, you can expect all sorts of crapiness.

Back
Top Bottom