Photoshop or FireWorks question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
Is there a simple way, in either PS or FW, to take an image that is on a white or transparent canvas and convert it to just a simple black outline of the image? For example I have a simply graphic of a dog. I've erased around the outline of the dog, but his body is still filled in (it's a black and white scan) and I'd like to end up with a totally white or transparent image with a black outline of the dog.

You could also make a selection of your dog that you've already cut out (command click on the layers palette), fill it with black if it isnt already completely black (edit>fill with your foreground colour set on black), shrink your selection a couple of pixels (select>modify>contract), then inverse that part of the image (command i). So you'll have a black outline with a white inside. If you prefer a transparent inside, instead of inversing on the last step, cut the selection away with command x.

If you've already got a cut out, totally black dog on a transparent background, the quick way would be to use the magic wand to select the black dog, then Select>Modify>Contract by 3 pixels or so, then command x. done

Ya, filters wont work as I was under the impression she just wanted the outside line. Besides, by the time you start messing around with filters, you could already have it done. Its a 10 second job

Here's the file (it's a png file, in my FireWorks it has a transparent canvas). I just want an outline of the dog, with a line anywhere that body parts overlap (like the front legs, ears, and the left knee and tail).

http://www.dutchbingo.net/personal/stack.png

stack.png

I don't do much with filters and all of that, the only way I'd know is to fill in the dog solid, then add a small "glow", and then make the fill transparent.

Is this how you wanted it? Could probably use a little finessing
There might've been a little bit too much feather on the original close cut, but it seems to look fine at 100%

dog.png

That's good enough thanks! I'm thinking of getting a dog tattoo, I want a small one on my left foot, just an outline. I'm trying to decide between a dog "stacked" (standing) or in motion and I already had a motion outline. Also it has to be a dog with ideal conformation and the dog in that graphic has correct joint angles (at least what I like) so I wanted to see how he looked as an outline. I actually like that a lot so now that I can compare the two outlines, I can choose and just take the original images to the tattoo artist to sketch.

This was my moving dog, it's small but enough for comparison
4555379516_ab17a49542_o.gif

No problem.
That would be a cool tattoo. imo the stacked dog might be a more recognizable outline, but both are pretty cool

Yeah I think I like the stacked dog better. I like the balance of the moving dog, but the stacked dog is easy to make more masculine (I would tweak the outline of the head a bit).

Back
Top Bottom