phone cam videos - mp4 why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowbunny00774

ONE love, blood, life
I'm sure it's well established that I know nothing about anything so please be patient if I don't explain this well. ...actually I'm just going to grab the post I posted elsewhere - brb

here's the trail - U2F is helping me change the format but WHY is it going to MP4?

smart people i need your help, don't make me have to start a thread in vorsprung

I have my camera connected to the laptop and have used the windows photo gallery to import pics and videos. the photo gallery said it couldn't play the videos so I moved them to winamp - they are showing as mp.4s and while the audio will play in winamp I don't know how to get the video to play.

help please :)

hey liz,

you need to download quicktime to watch those videos. It's apple/itunes proprietary format...i e mp4.

winamp wont see that format.

weird my laptop froze, doouble post.

can't I change the format or something? why would it go to mp4?

so, you recorded video off ur camera and that's the format it initially showed up as?

if you want to change the format to WMV u need a converter... I think this is a free one here: WUGNET - AVS Video Tools - Windows Vista XP Shareware)

what is the best format to have it go to - i.e. so I can share the videos and how do I make it go to that format on the camera - it's a sony ericsson phone.

I have quicktime on my desktop - if I send the files there will I be able to play them - and will I be able to share them with people - how do I do that?

liz,

if you send your files to quicktime it will work. use the converter to change them to wmv and then you can share them because it's not a proprietary format.

I can't download quicktime - see multiple waaaahhhh's in other threads :D

And I know that's the solution, but what I'm really asking here is WHY is it going to mp4?

Thanks for your help Amy :)

i am not sure why they are in that format. Have you recorded video on your camera before? Do you have a mac computer and laptop? If so then the software for the camera I think defaults to a mac proprietary format like mp4.

no - it's the first time I've used the phone like that....no mac and it's a sony ericsson phone, not an iphone..

i would google that phone and see if you can find out whether thats why, that it uses this a default and maybe there is way you can change it if not then you will have to convert and or view it in quicktime.

My Panasonic camera's default format is .mov (same MPEG-4 as MP4). I have no trouble viewing them in QuickTime on a Vista PC. When I make movies I use Windows Movie Maker b/c I'm cheap, so I use a program called Super (I think GonG told me about it) to convert MOV files to AVIs.

This has already been pretty thoroughly explored, but I'll throw my suggestions in the pot:

Solutions:

1. Obvious solution: download Quicktime or iTunes to play the movie in.
2. Techie solution: download eRightSoft's Super Video Converter to convert the movie to a different file type.
3. Complicated solution: upload the video to YouTube. This will convert it to a flv file that you can watch via the site. If your chosen programs play flv files too, you could then use keepvid.com to download the flv file of the video, to play it in your program.

I've never used winamp, so I don't know much about it. But now, with the right codecs, you can play almost everything in Windows Media Player. I downloaded an extensive codec pack free some time ago. I can find the link of anyone wants it.

This has already been pretty thoroughly explored, but I'll throw my suggestions in the pot:

Solutions:

1. Obvious solution: download Quicktime or iTunes to play the movie in.
2. Techie solution: download eRightSoft's Super Video Converter to convert the movie to a different file type.
3. Complicated solution: upload the video to YouTube. This will convert it to a flv file that you can watch via the site. If your chosen programs play flv files too, you could then use keepvid.com to download the flv file of the video, to play it in your program.

I've never used winamp, so I don't know much about it. But now, with the right codecs, you can play almost everything in Windows Media Player. I downloaded an extensive codec pack free some time ago. I can find the link of anyone wants it.

Sounds like fair points. Ofcourse Mia would want to add 4. Buy a macbook there. :wink:

Myself I wouldn't convert to wmv, since that only works with windows applications and you can't cap it with virtualdub. Avi is a much better choice, even though it's compressed less. Avi can be used on both mac and windows computers.
The codec pack I use for wmp is K-lite codec pack. Haven't had the codec problem in years. :)

technically you can play wmv files on a mac, but you have to download something. it's amazing how many sites stream wmv videos, just assuming everyone has a pc. i mean sure, something like 98% of the population does, but i'd rather cater to 100% than just 98%.

Back
Top Bottom