Okay guys, I need record player help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I'm gonna stop putting it off and finally get one so I can listen to the few records that I have.

The question is... should I go with something basic like this that does it's job and is cheap?

492542403_f3718b08bb.jpg

Or should I get a turntable? But I know my stereo doesn't have any inputs whatsoever to connect to so I'll have to get an external speaker/amplifier(?)!

turntable_b1.jpg

Or... should I go with something pretty and vintage looking?

crosley_conductor_oak.jpg

I'm confused. On one hand I want something that I can connect and immediately start listening to without having to deal with buying external speakers, possible connection issues etc. On the other hand I want decent sound, not totally crappy. I don't know how the internal speakers are on the Fisher Price ones. :help:

Re: Re: Okay guys, I need record player help...

gvox said:

I feel compelled to hurt you for that part of your post alone.

:angry:

:wink:

Haha I know they're probably not great but... hey I'm just trying to listen to my records... I don't care too much about the sound!

Elfa :lmao:

Re: Re: Re: Okay guys, I need record player help...

Zootlesque said:

Haha I know they're probably not great but... hey I'm just trying to listen to my records... I don't care too much about the sound!

:tsk: If you don't care about the sound, get a sewing needle, and spin the record around on your finger. :tsk:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Okay guys, I need record player help...

VintagePunk said:

:tsk: If you don't care about the sound, get a sewing needle, and spin the record around on your finger. :tsk:

:lmao: Are Fisher Price ones that bad??? :(

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Okay guys, I need record player help...

Zootlesque said:

:lmao: Are Fisher Price ones that bad??? :(

Yes, yes, and again, yes! I cannot, in good conscience, allow you to buy that. Plus, the needles are so shitty, they'll destroy your vinyl.

So, that choice has been vetoed. Next?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Okay guys, I need record player help...

gvox said:
You're joking, right?

Haha for a second I was wondering which post you quoted!

VintagePunk said:

Yes, yes, and again, yes! I cannot, in good conscience, allow you to buy that. Plus, the needles are so shitty, they'll destroy your vinyl.

So, that choice has been vetoed. Next?

Options 2 and 3 in original post. :wink:

OMG I'm still laughing about what you said with the sewing needle and the finger! :lmao:!!!!

Btw, this guy seems to like it... :p

http://members.misty.com/penny/church.html

And it seems to be some kind of rare thing to find one these days... at least according to stories I read on the internet. So I figured it would be a cool collectible and also something I can use to finally listen to my records. But after yours and Gabe's posts now I'm not sure. :slant:

Dude, seriously. Fisher Price. They are for 5 year olds. :scream: I think that guy probably has some sort of nostalgia for them, they were a large part of people's childhoods in the 70's, but...that's probably the only appeal they hold. The one speaker would be so tiny and shitty and tinny sounding, I don't even want to think about it. :shudder:

If it's a self contained unit you're looking for, then option 3 would probably be infinitely better. It has a retro look, but maybe because they're made nowadays, they put better quality speakers into them? I don't know, I've never listened to anything like that, so I can't really say. I'm just judging by the way that self contained record players used to be, and the price.

What kind of stereo/receiver do you have that it doesn't have an input for a turntable?

Last edited:
So they're really toys then?! :lol: Yeah your description of them does not sound good at all! :yikes: I was just excited cos there are 2 players available right now on ebay for 30 to 40 bucks and that's with shipping! :shifty:

Well, as for my stereo... it's a Sharp brand 3 CD changer with double cassette deck and has speakers connected to the back of the main unit using red and black wires that go into these switches type things on the back of the unit. Very strange. There are no other connections whatsoever except for electric power.

Now.... could I buy a turntable and also get a speaker... plain speaker and connect the two? :hmm:

Aw, that sucks. Most units do have various input/output options.

No, you couldn't connect a turntable just to speakers, it also has to go through a receiver to work. Honestly? Knowing how big of a music fan you are, that's the option I'd suggest. Turntable, receiver, speakers. But, you have to consider how much you're willing to spend. I haven't shopped for audio equipment in forever, as I said, mine's hooked up to my home theatre, and that's what I use for music listening these days. Gabe would probably be able to suggest something better than I could.

If funds are limited and you simply do not want to wait, then probably the retro-looking unit you posted would be your best option. I'm going to look for an old thread that talked about setting up an audio system. I'll edit this and post the link when I find it.

ETA - that was fast. Read this:

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171359&highlight=receiver

If you've never had a good system, seriously, it's well worth it. The sounds are just... :drool:

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, VP! :hug: That thread looks awesome with all the suggestions for a full blown system but I simply do not have the budget for something like that right now. But I will definitely read thru it, looks interesting! Yeah, I guess I'll just get a stand alone self contained retro looking unit for now... like a Crosley or something. Looks like I'll still be paying close to a 100 bucks including shipping!

You're very welcome. :)

A lot of people buy their systems piece by piece as they can afford them. Before you take the plunge and buy the stand-alone, why don't you look on eBay for a reasonably priced receiver? You already have speakers that you could use until you can get better ones, then you'd just need to add the turntable, and you'd be on your way. :up:

Cori, did yours end up being very expensive?

1) VP, your knowledge of Fisher Price record players seems rather extensive. Have you got a story to share with the class? :hmm:

2) I have no idea what I'm talking about.....I fully acknowledge this fact.

But have you looked at buying something used? I don't mean on Ebay, but at local shops - we've got a couple in the area. That's where we got one for my cousin for Christmas so he could listen to his Beatles albums. And I know we got it for a decent price.

3) We still have our player all hooked up, cmon up poodle and dance at my place in those fancy pants of yours. :dance:

:sexywink:

I will now wait to be told I'm talking about something completely different from the rest of you. :reject:

~BrightestStar~ said:
1) VP, your knowledge of Fisher Price record players seems rather extensive. Have you got a story to share with the class? :hmm:

I never had one. Honest! :shifty:

I got into music very young. I probably got my first "record player" when I was 6 or 7. It wasn't a Fisher Price one, it was a more grown up version of that type, though.

I can't find one like I used to have!

It wasn't as big and clunky as this one:

cr49b_open.jpg

It was probably more like this one, but not really :huh: It was coloured, but not plastic, and the lid didn't detach.
gp3.jpg

I think my niece, the one that's just a couple of years younger than me had a Fisher Price one. They were built to withstand damage from very young children, and they sounded like shit!

I think by the time I was 10 or 11, I got my first stereo with components. It was a cheap one, but still infinitely better than the self-contained ones.

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
So they're really toys then?! :lol:

Dude, I'd like to thank you for making lose the last cup of coffee I was able to make with the few remaining grinds in the tin.

Fisher Price. People? The car garage? The school bus? Sesame Street? HELLLOOOOOOOO!L!>!!!<<!!11111!!!

:lol:

Zootlesque said:

Well, as for my stereo... it's a Sharp brand 3 CD changer with double cassette deck and has speakers connected to the back of the main unit using red and black wires that go into these switches type things on the back of the unit. Very strange. There are no other connections whatsoever except for electric power.

Now.... could I buy a turntable and also get a speaker... plain speaker and connect the two? :hmm:

Ok getting serious now...what you have is basically a bookshelf/bedroom stereo. You're not going to be able to expand on it. I'd move that to the bedroom and start building a system.

That thread that is referenced ^ is a good place to start. My main recommendation would be to stay away from 'packaged' systems you'll find at Best Buy and the like. Figure out what you want and take into account your current (and if you ever see yourself moving) listening environment, and start building piece by piece.

Receivers are pretty much recievers nowadays, there's not a huge difference once you get into the mid-range price bracket. I like Harmon-Kardon and Denon, although Kenwood and Technics are a great bang for the buck as well. Stay away from units with built in equalizers, as I find they're crap and just ruin the sound as it was originally mastered to be heard. Simple dial controls for Bass, Mid and Treble are all you need. Give some consideration to whether you will ever want to do a home theatre mult-channel (speaker) setup.

Then you get a CD changer, and a turntable. For home use just about any middle of the road turntable made by those manufacturers listed above will do you just fine, just make sure you can change the cartridge and needle on the turntable, because one day you might want to upgrade the needle a bit.

Here's where you *don't* skimp: Speakers. There are so many different brands and levels of quality, but all I can say is the closer to 'reference' quality you can get, go for it. Spend on the speakers, they can literally make or break how well your system performs. :up: At some point, you'll likely want to get a subwoofer as well.

Hope that helps!

That was very valuable! Thanks gvox! :)

Yeah I'm very tempted now to just build a total music system with turntable but it's gonna cost me a pretty penny!

Go bit by bit like VP suggests. And the used idea can be a good idea, but I'd go with buying used from someone you know. Keep your ear to the ground, friends/associates upgrade from time to time and might have a piece or two they're offloading.

One more thing: whatever you get, make sure you set aside a couple extra $ for a good powerstrip with a surge protector. I always thought that was hogwash until two freak electrical occurrences took out our TV one time and a reciever another time :sad:

PS keep who all this is coming from in perspective - I'd spend on music forever and never even bother with a TV or movies, so that likely says alot :lol:

gvox said:
PS keep who all this is coming from in perspective - I'd spend on music forever and never even bother with a TV or movies, so that likely says alot :lol:

Haha I'm the same way! I'm wayyy more crazy about music than I am about movies or television.

Back
Top Bottom