Okay guys, I need record player help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh hell yes! Concert dvds are awesome! Anything related to music is automatically awesome! :lol:

Btw guys, I think I completely understand what you're talking about when you say get a turntable and music system. I guess I was caught up in the novelty of the pretty looking antique record players available on ebay instead of focussing on the main thing, the sound. And it makes so much more sense to me now to get a turntable, receiver and speaker and build my system from there. Just needs some time, money and patience to set everything up. And I can see how going the route of the turntable and system is better also because eventually I know I'm gonna get a surround system or home theater. This will only build towards that! Whereas an antique looking record player is not gonna be anything other than a stand alone piece that it is. All that said, I hope I don't get impatient and end up ordering a stand alone player from ebay or something! :shifty: Thanks for all the help! That other thread (Cori's) was really eye opening! If it weren't for you folks, I'd still be blissfully unaware in the world of shelf units. :lol:

Last edited:
Success!! :happy:

If that's the direction you want to go in (home theatre) make sure that your receiver is compatible. Like I said earlier, I'm not sure if there's a distinction between audio and dvd receivers anymore, but if you're building in that direction, you might as well get one that encompasses both. It might cost a little bit more, but it'll save you from having to upgrade in the future.

Also, there truly are components in a very wide price range, and a lot are very affordable. IMO, you don't have to go whole hog and get a super-duper system. Compared with what you have now, you'll notice a distinct difference in the sound with a very moderately priced system. And, as I said, even if it's one piece at a time over a year or so, you'll ultimately be very satisfied with the end result.

Nice work, Grasshopper. I'm proud of you. :hug:

Eta - Gabe is right about the speakers being the most important part, and where you should aim a little higher, money-wise. There is so much out there that the only way you can make an informed decision is to go to shops and do a listening test. Everyone has very specific preferences sound-wise, so only you will know what you like best, and the only way you can do that is by actually listening. :up: Then once you've found what you like, look online and see if you can find it cheaper.

Last edited:
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but like VP said make sure that the receiver has a "Phono" input for the turntable.

Thanks! Well, now I'm beyond excited to start assembling this thing... but yeah I gotta do some homework and stuff and decide if I wanna start building towards home theater or just get a stereo receiver for now. I mean, I can't afford a home theater system for a while anyway so should I just get a basic stereo receiver and speakers and turntable for now? The whole thing will probably cost me like 300 bucks. I don't know if I can use my existing speakers. They don't even have cords attached, they have these red and black wires with the bare copper ends that go into switches on the main unit. I doubt that's compatible with stereo receivers. :huh:

Carlos, good point! Thanks!

Zootlesque said:
I don't know if I can use my existing speakers. They don't even have cords attached, they have these red and black wires with the bare copper ends that go into switches on the main unit. I doubt that's compatible with stereo receivers. :huh:

Red and black wires where the ends have the plastic taken off to expose the wire and that sticks into the receiver? Yes, those should work in any receiver, unless there's been some huge overhaul in the way they make receivers in recent years.

VintagePunk said:

Red and black wires where the ends have the plastic taken off to expose the wire and that sticks into the receiver? Yes, those should work in any receiver, unless there's been some huge overhaul in the way they make receivers in recent years.

That is excellent news! :yippie:

Maybe I can make do with my existing speakers for now. :hmm: Kinda strapped for cash.

RedrocksU2 said:
what brand are they?

Sharp. It's an old unit. :lol: 3 CD changer with double cassette deck. The main unit doesn't even have a plastic back. There is a wood color board attached and the only connection for power goes thru it. No other a/v inputs or anything! It does have those switch type things where the red and black wires go.

This is kinda crazy, but I'm excited for you. :lol:

Yeah, if money's an issue at the moment, sometimes you have to make due with what you have for a while longer. But because the sound quality is so dependent upon the speakers, don't be disappointed with the sound coming from a new receiver and your old speakers. It'll improve vastly when you get new, better ones. :)

VintagePunk said:
This is kinda crazy, but I'm excited for you. :lol:

Yay! Well... see, I was happy with my 3 CD changer and didn't even think about a big system cos as it is, I only pretty much listen to music on itunes in the comp nowadays thru PC speakers. I hardly ever take CDs out and listen to them on the Sharp player. So I didn't see any need to upgrade. And the music sounds a lot better on that Sharp unit compared to my comp already! I'm not such a crazy audiofile (yet) that I want everything crystal clear. A shelf unit generally makes me happy. But now that I have a need for a record player, maybe it makes sense to simply upgrade with turntable and better system.

Zootlesque said:
Okay guys, this is the exact same unit I have presently:

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-CDC602-Compact-Stereo-System/dp/B00000K1NV

Take a look at that back view provided there. No inputs but those black and red switches type things.

Yeah, that's pretty typical for those types of systems. And those speaker inputs are the kind that are on all receivers, unless, as I said, things have changed drastically in the past few years.

You rock! :rockon: I'm gonna go shop around tomorrow and get a feel for what's available, prices and stuff. :drool:

:up:

If you find something you like, don't buy right away. Come home, look up reviews and compare prices online. I'm sure there are a lot of people around here too that can give you advice about specific brands and models. Unfortunately, it's been so long since I've looked into anything audio related, I'm not one of them. :reject: :lol:

RIghto, and further on the speakers: you'll do better imo with reference monitors, and you can find them at comparable prices to the crap at Best BUy if you hunt around online, or, and you might not think so, at your local musicians store in the recording department. :yes:

Funnily enough, I haven't even had the chance to open the box and connect the damn thing. I was really excited and couldn't wait to get it though! :huh: Hopefully today or tomorrow.

So I finally connected the damn thing this evening. Connected the USB cable to the comp and put the circular disc/rubber grip mat provided on the platter and took the little plastic cover off from under the needle (that thing comes off, right? lol) but didn't connect the RCA line out cable (red and white) anywhere cos I got no receiver to connect it to. I was hoping that the USB cable will establish a connection between the turntable and the computer speakers... but it's not working! :scream: Does this mean that for pure playback (not recording), I need a receiver??? I can't play it thru the comp speakers??? Oh also, where do you place the needle generally? Outer circumference of the record or innermost groove? Does it matter? Will it start playing from song 1 anyway?

:crazy:

So I finally connected the damn thing this evening. Connected the USB cable to the comp and put the circular disc/rubber grip mat provided on the platter and took the little plastic cover off from under the needle (that thing comes off, right? lol) but didn't connect the RCA line out cable (red and white) anywhere cos I got no receiver to connect it to. I was hoping that the USB cable will establish a connection between the turntable and the computer speakers... but it's not working! :scream: Does this mean that for pure playback (not recording), I need a receiver??? I can't play it thru the comp speakers??? Oh also, where do you place the needle generally? Outer circumference of the record or innermost groove? Does it matter? Will it start playing from song 1 anyway?

:crazy:

Weird. I have no familiarity with that model, but I would think that it should play on your PC speakers. Did you read the instruction booklet? Is there software to install with it? I think Ashley said she has one that connects to her computer, maybe ask her?

As for where to put the needle, you put it on the kind of space just before the grooves get really narrow before each song. So, to listen to the first song, you put it on the very outer edge of the album, just before the grooves start. Then each song works its way in, toward the center of the album. Each set of grooves are a song, and they are divided by a relatively grooveless area. So, to skip songs, count in, and just place the needle in the grooveless area before the song you want to hear.

Well, the thing is I can very faintly hear the songs when I place the needle on the record. So obviously it just needs to be amplified or whatever. But I thought the USB cable would do that. :scratch:

an USB cable can't amplify sound, you need the red and white cables :yes:
we have an amp and two big speakers next to the pc, and yea, you definately need the amp inbetween or it won't work as well!

I got sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :combust:

Called technical support and they pretty much walked me thru it. Just had to change some audio settings in the control panel and use Audacity as player. Listening to my Magical Mystery Tour record now. There's quite a bit of static or cracks/pops or whatever cos it's an old record I guess. :lol: But this is the first time ever that I've played a record! :yippie:

So yes, USB chord is enough apparently. No need for red and white cable unless I'm connecting to a music system. Thanks for all your help, guys! :kiss:

First Play:

firstrecordMMT.jpg

Rythmic, systemic and world control
Magnetic, genetic, dement your soul

Put the needle on the record
Put the needle on the record