Okay guys, I need record player help... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:00 PM
Oh hell yes! Concert dvds are awesome! Anything related to music is automatically awesome!

Btw guys, I think I completely understand what you're talking about when you say get a turntable and music system. I guess I was caught up in the novelty of the pretty looking antique record players available on ebay instead of focussing on the main thing, the sound. And it makes so much more sense to me now to get a turntable, receiver and speaker and build my system from there. Just needs some time, money and patience to set everything up. And I can see how going the route of the turntable and system is better also because eventually I know I'm gonna get a surround system or home theater. This will only build towards that! Whereas an antique looking record player is not gonna be anything other than a stand alone piece that it is. All that said, I hope I don't get impatient and end up ordering a stand alone player from ebay or something! Thanks for all the help! That other thread (Cori's) was really eye opening! If it weren't for you folks, I'd still be blissfully unaware in the world of shelf units.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:50 PM   #32
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:00 AM
Success!!

If that's the direction you want to go in (home theatre) make sure that your receiver is compatible. Like I said earlier, I'm not sure if there's a distinction between audio and dvd receivers anymore, but if you're building in that direction, you might as well get one that encompasses both. It might cost a little bit more, but it'll save you from having to upgrade in the future.

Also, there truly are components in a very wide price range, and a lot are very affordable. IMO, you don't have to go whole hog and get a super-duper system. Compared with what you have now, you'll notice a distinct difference in the sound with a very moderately priced system. And, as I said, even if it's one piece at a time over a year or so, you'll ultimately be very satisfied with the end result.

Nice work, Grasshopper. I'm proud of you.

Eta - Gabe is right about the speakers being the most important part, and where you should aim a little higher, money-wise. There is so much out there that the only way you can make an informed decision is to go to shops and do a listening test. Everyone has very specific preferences sound-wise, so only you will know what you like best, and the only way you can do that is by actually listening. Then once you've found what you like, look online and see if you can find it cheaper.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:57 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:00 AM
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but like VP said make sure that the receiver has a "Phono" input for the turntable.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

Thanks! Well, now I'm beyond excited to start assembling this thing... but yeah I gotta do some homework and stuff and decide if I wanna start building towards home theater or just get a stereo receiver for now. I mean, I can't afford a home theater system for a while anyway so should I just get a basic stereo receiver and speakers and turntable for now? The whole thing will probably cost me like 300 bucks. I don't know if I can use my existing speakers. They don't even have cords attached, they have these red and black wires with the bare copper ends that go into switches on the main unit. I doubt that's compatible with stereo receivers.

Carlos, good point! Thanks!
Old 05-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

*wishes Zoot lived closer to me so I could help him*
Old 05-09-2008, 05:00 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by RedrocksU2
*wishes Zoot lived closer to me so I could help him*

You love this stuff too, I know.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

I work it
sell it
Old 05-09-2008, 05:02 PM   #38
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
I don't know if I can use my existing speakers. They don't even have cords attached, they have these red and black wires with the bare copper ends that go into switches on the main unit. I doubt that's compatible with stereo receivers.

Red and black wires where the ends have the plastic taken off to expose the wire and that sticks into the receiver? Yes, those should work in any receiver, unless there's been some huge overhaul in the way they make receivers in recent years.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #39
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk

Red and black wires where the ends have the plastic taken off to expose the wire and that sticks into the receiver? Yes, those should work in any receiver, unless there's been some huge overhaul in the way they make receivers in recent years.
That is excellent news!

Maybe I can make do with my existing speakers for now. Kinda strapped for cash.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

what brand are they?
Old 05-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by RedrocksU2
what brand are they?
Sharp. It's an old unit. 3 CD changer with double cassette deck. The main unit doesn't even have a plastic back. There is a wood color board attached and the only connection for power goes thru it. No other a/v inputs or anything! It does have those switch type things where the red and black wires go.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

This is kinda crazy, but I'm excited for you.

Yeah, if money's an issue at the moment, sometimes you have to make due with what you have for a while longer. But because the sound quality is so dependent upon the speakers, don't be disappointed with the sound coming from a new receiver and your old speakers. It'll improve vastly when you get new, better ones.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #43
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk
This is kinda crazy, but I'm excited for you.
Yay! Well... see, I was happy with my 3 CD changer and didn't even think about a big system cos as it is, I only pretty much listen to music on itunes in the comp nowadays thru PC speakers. I hardly ever take CDs out and listen to them on the Sharp player. So I didn't see any need to upgrade. And the music sounds a lot better on that Sharp unit compared to my comp already! I'm not such a crazy audiofile (yet) that I want everything crystal clear. A shelf unit generally makes me happy. But now that I have a need for a record player, maybe it makes sense to simply upgrade with turntable and better system.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

Okay guys, this is the exact same unit I have presently:

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-CDC602-C.../dp/B00000K1NV

Take a look at that back view provided there. No inputs but those black and red switches type things.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #45
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Okay guys, this is the exact same unit I have presently:

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-CDC602-C.../dp/B00000K1NV

Take a look at that back view provided there. No inputs but those black and red switches type things.
Yeah, that's pretty typical for those types of systems. And those speaker inputs are the kind that are on all receivers, unless, as I said, things have changed drastically in the past few years.

Tags
record players, turntables