Oh how I dislike Sony (Fuck PS3)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6165074.html?tag=latestnews;title;0
Sony rep: Wii an impulse buy
SCEA spokesman tells New York Times that Nintendo's new console doesn't belong in the same category as the PlayStation 3.
By Brendan Sinclair, GameSpot
Posted Jan 31, 2007 3:04 pm PT
In the past, Sony Computer Entertainment America spokesman Dave Karraker has been fairly critical of his gaming rivals at Microsoft. In September, Karraker called Microsoft's decision to release an HD DVD add-on for the Xbox 360 that only plays movies "unfortunate," adding that the company's 1080p update for the system wasn't "full HD."

Two months later, he slammed Microsoft's decision to offer high-definition movies and TV shows for download over Xbox Live as "a disservice to their consumer base" because purchasers of the Xbox 360 Core system would need to buy a hard drive to store the large files.

Now, Karraker has turned his eye toward Nintendo's Wii, telling The New York Times that the system didn't belong in the same category as the PlayStation 3.

"Wii could be considered an impulse buy more than anything else," Karraker was quoted as saying.

The Sony spokesman also told the paper that Sony was selling out shipments of 100,000 PS3s in the US every week, although, "the frenzy we saw at the holidays has subsided a bit."

The article ran today under the headline, "Nintendo's Wii, Radiating Fun, Is Eclipsing Sony Machine." It discussed each machine's relative performance over the recent holiday sales season and noted that PS3 systems have been easier to find on store shelves than the Wii.

The last time I was in the local Gamestop, there were PS3s in stock and no one batted an eye. :shrug: The price is a huge turnoff for me and I'm sure for many other consumers.

I have to say that in terms of graphics the Wii sucks, plain and simple its almost like a supped up Game Cube.

In fact the critical praise is really starting to drop off as allot of the third party games are terrible.
With FPS games like Far Cry and Medal of Honor the graphics are awful and the game-play with the Wii-mote is not turning out to be as good as originally hoped.

Here's a couple of reviews from IGN.com if you don't take my word for it:

Far Cry:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/751/751136p1.html

Red Steel:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/746/746975p1.html

Now yes, these are basically launch titles so yes, of course they are going to get better but the Wii is going to hit a plateau in terms of graphics which the PS3 and the Xbox 360 are already over.

I can see the Wii being a much more quirky system like the DS, they will have more "experience" driven games that involve interaction - like Trauma Center or Wii Sports.

But yes, in terms of graphics and computing power PS3 mops the floor with the Wii.

I don't consider the Wii and the PS3 to be in the same category either :shrug:

If I had a hi-def home theatre setup with a giant plasma capable of HDMI, I'd get a PS3. If I was in a college dorm with a shitty TV and friends who like to party, I'd buy a Wii and go Wiimote Crazy.

They're very much different products marketed differently. The whole point of the Wii is to be different, for christ's sake.

A few game developers have been laying into Sony of late, such as the head of Valve (Half Life)....there has been a bit of bad blood.

That said the PS3s launch titles for Europe at least will make it a far better launch year than the PS2 had, the launch games for it were uniformly terrible.

The thing going for the Wii is that it has to have 'exclusives', since the system isn't as powerful and due to the wii-mote....there will be so few exclusives for the other two, console choice will come down to which machine is more powerful or which franchises you are more attached to (Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid)

The Wii is essentially a jumping-off point for Nintendo into a new realm of gaming. I don't doubt that the next generation of Wii will be on par with Sony in terms of graphics and game quality. Throw in the possibilities of the Wii controller & it'll surely beat anything else. Honestly, I don't understand why Sony is really wasting so much time pimping out their PS systems. Who the hell cares if you can watch Blu-Ray dvd's on it? Who on earth watches dvds on their game system? Now, I guess it'll be the people too poor to afford a dvd player after dropping nearly a grand on their game system.....:huh:

xaviMF22 said:

At least people are buying it.:|

man does sony suck this gen.....

360 FTW:drool:

I dunno, considering the PS3 has only been out for 2 months it hasn't really had any kind of chance to get it's bearing yet. I still feel they have a chance if they would only lower the price point by at least $100...

Utoo said:
Honestly, I don't understand why Sony is really wasting so much time pimping out their PS systems. Who the hell cares if you can watch Blu-Ray dvd's on it? Who on earth watches dvds on their game system? Now, I guess it'll be the people too poor to afford a dvd player after dropping nearly a grand on their game system.....:huh:

Dude, have you seen how much Blu-Ray players cost on their own??? Sony is counting on the PS3 being the all in one entertainment system. Since they are the driving force behind Blu-Ray, it's the cheapest way to get Blu-Ray into as many homes as possible.

Last edited:
^That plan worked for Sony with the PS2 and DVDs, but the DVD didn't have a similar format competing against it....Blu-ray does, hence people will probably put off expensive purchases like the PS3 and Blu-ray players until they know which one is the 'winner' between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

^Agreed. No one is really jumping at Blu-Ray or HD-DVD right now. I think people are happy with their not-so-distantly amassed DVD collections and will ride out the storm to see which wins out before anyone starts to care too much.

As for the PS3 being the all-in-one entertainment center, that may be their idea, but it's not going to happen any time soon. Until they fix the fact that if you use your game system as a dvd player too much you end up burning the thing out, it's not the greatest idea just yet. It may happen in time, but not yet. To tell the truth, I think the one to do it will be Apple----- I wouldn't doubt if there's an all-in-one flatscreenTV-homecomputer-dvd-gamesystem from Apple in about a decade. Until then, everything in between will just be expensive little steps biding time.

Oh God, Apple doing video games? Say it isn´t so!! :no:

...As for the PS3 vrs. 360 fight, PS3 has a slight edge on graphics and I think that´ll be the selling point.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Oh God, Apple doing video games? Say it isn´t so!! :no:

...As for the PS3 vrs. 360 fight, PS3 has a slight edge on graphics and I think that´ll be the selling point.

PS3 has Metal Gear Solid 4..now that will be the selling point....

PS3's will fly off the shelves:drool:

By the looks of it PS3 still has the edge on exclusives or games coming out before they do go multiformat ie Virtua Fighter 5.

xaviMF22 said:

PS3 has Metal Gear Solid 4..now that will be the selling point....

PS3's will fly off the shelves:drool:

PS3s need to GET on shelves first.

LemonMacPhisto said:

PS3s need to GET on shelves first.

oh believe Sony has shipped a lot more units to stores....in fact you could go to any store and find a PS3

the thing is there are no AAA titles

believe MGS4 will be a major selling point..

just like MGS2 was for the PS2:drool:

if the ps3 wasn't so ridiculously priced i'd have one already.

the wii is intriguing 'cause of the controller, but for no other reason. it does appear to be just a gimmick and the novelty may wear off in time.

when the ps3 drops in price i will buy one... if it stays at the price it's at, i may just buy a 360 whenever the next gen GTA comes out.

Back
Top Bottom