Norton Antivirus Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevated_u2_fan

Blue Crack Supplier
Hello all,

My sister-in-law recently had some sort of virus/system issue on her computer and had to run a recovery program to restore her files.

I volunteered to help her restore her computer and found out after the fact that she has been on the internet for over a year now with no real virus protection or firewall. :tsk:

So I uninstalled her old trial version of Norton (2004) and downloaded the newest version (2008) and Ad Aware for good measure.

The problem I am having is when I install Norton I can't load it. I see the little icon in the task bar but it has a little red X over it and when I click on it nothing happens. Same goes for the main icon on the desktop, I click on it, there is an hourglass for a second and then nothing...

Her computer is a Pentium 4 with Windows XP media center edition. I've downloaded the latest updates (including SP 3) with no results.

I know there are some viruses that will mess with Norton - I'm wondering if this is the case. Norton ran a scan before it installed though and didn't find anything.

I'm going to try downloading another free virus software tonight (AVG) and see if it finds anything.

Has anyone else encountered this before? The Norton support page was not very helpful...

I've just heard bad things about Norton, and how it uses a lot of the computer's resources and can mess things up. I've had NOD32 on this computer for over a year now, just renewed it too. Also just added it to my other computer and removed Norton. I'm not a techie, but I think it's working just fine :crossedfingersandtoes:

Nod32 is good. Norton....ew. If you install AVG, make sure to uninstall Norton. Having two at once can be very bad (especially b/c Norton runs a real time scan).

Count another vote for Nod32. :wave: I actually got the suggestion from here and I've been happy with it. I used to have Norton and had terrible issues with it, especially with torrents. I've not had a problem with Nod32 at all, whether with viruses, etc., or downloads/uploads/programs.

Back
Top Bottom