New Modem - Wireless Impact?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
So Comcast is upgrading/replacing the modem I've been leasing from them.

Will I need to do anything with my wireless? My guess is that as long as I'm not doing anything with the router, there would be no change.

Just configure the new modem with the computer, and then plug it into the router, and bing! Same old, same old ... yes?

I really hope that's right, because it was such a gigantic pain in the ass getting my wireless set up last fall when I first got it. :wink:

Since it sounds like your router is already set up, a new modem shouldn't affect it. Will Comcast be coming to install the modem themselves? If so, you won't have to do anything at all. If not, they're usually pretty good about including relatively simple setup instructions with their hardware.

Hopefully Comcast here will be doing the same upgrade, as I know they have a higher quality modem related to faster internet service available.

Sweet, thanks. Yeah, they're coming on Saturday to do their thing, upgrading both my modem and DVR.

I had Comcast, then Time Warner bought them out.

There was a modem fee, I had the option of buying one at Best Buy. They gave me two different models that would work. I did buy one. I think the monthly fees I saved paid the cost off in less than a year. I've had it for 5-6 years now, works ok. 2 or 3 times a month it goes offline. I just unplug it for 10 seconds to reboot it. Then I do the same for the wireless modem. It boots right back up too.

I really enjoy my dvr, I can record one program and watch another at the same time, or even record two at once.

Yeah, I don't have any problems with my current modem. If I've been downloading torrents, I usually have to reboot my modem to get the connection running okay again, I usually just unplug it for 20-30 minutes and it's fine.

But this new one is apparently going to be faster, so yay.

Back
Top Bottom