Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:17 AM
New Apple product/updates

From Apple insider dot com;

Apple poised for special event this September

Although it has not yet been announced, investment bank Piper Jaffray believes it's only a matter of time before Apple reveals plans to hold a special event next month to usher in a new array of iPods and Mac notebooks.

The Cupertino-based company has used a September gathering to launch new iPods for the past three years, analyst Gene Munster advised clients in a research report Wednesday, adding that Apple shares have risen about 4 percent on average from the week before those events to the week after.

Historically, shares have risen more than 47 percent between the week before those events to the four months after, he said.

At this year's event, Munster is expecting Apple to refresh its iPod family through a number of "pricing and capacity changes." Specifically, he's looking for capacity increases to iPod shuffles and iPod nanos, but no price reductions on those models. Conversely, the iPod touch is likely to see a redesign "and a new $199 price point, in line with the iPhone."

Sharing the stage with new iPods will be a complete overhaul of the company's mainstream notebook families, Munster believes. In particular, the analyst sees Apple unveiling new industrial designs for both the MacBook and MacBook Pro, and possibly re-entering the $999 price point on the MacBook as it once offered alongside the notebook's iBook predecessor.

"We note that the MacBook has had the same design since its launch over two years ago, and the MacBook Pro has had essentially the same design since its launch over 2.5 years ago, which was very similar in design to the PowerBook G4 released over 5.5 years ago," he told clients. "To compare, the long-running iMac G5 design lasted three years."

In his note to clients, the Piper Jaffray analyst also weighed in with his thoughts on how Apple will expand the presence of its multi-touch technology on the Mac going forward. He said gestures recently added to the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro "are just the beginning of Apple's exploration of multi-touch on the Mac," and that the company clearly holds plans to leverage its technology portfolio from the iPhone to simultaneously advance Mac experience.

"Currently, these gestures require the same touch-sensing technology used in the iPhone, but they use a traditional looking trackpad," the analyst told clients. "Eventually, we expect Apple to change the trackpad to backlit color screens for a more dynamic user interface on the Mac."

Ultimately, Munster expects Apple to introduce a full touch-screen MacBook, although "not until the technology has fully matured over the next 2-3 years."

Old 08-07-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 11:17 AM

Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 08-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:17 AM
Interesting. I LOVE my new iMac, but I can't really think of a use for a "touch" screen desktop or laptop (besides the tablet PCs for drawing). HP has them already and they are getting great reviews, but I'm not really sure why I'd want to be touching my computer screen.

ETA: Actually I can think of a good use, a kiosk station or workstation that controls classroom equipment, but many of those products already exist (we use them here on campus).
Old 08-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Lies, what new Mac did you get?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

20" iMac. I got it at work about a month ago. It's my primary work computer now but I also have an enhanced Dell 755 because most of the administrative stuff I do for work can only be done on Windows (Novell). I use a freeware app called Synergy so I only have one keyboard (new iMac one) and one mouse (PC mouse). My screens are side by side and I can slide from one to the other with the same peripherals, just can't drag stuff over b/c it's not a true extended desktop.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Holy crap, a 20"? Very nice.

I've stopped myself from buying another Dell laptop in the past 2 months while waiting for the new MBP. I am getting so sick of waiting.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Dell laptops are such pieces of shit, keep waiting! My friend got a laptop from Dell and has had major problems with it right off the bat. After spending like 24 hours total on the phone, having technicians to her house, she decided to buy a new computer. She went on the Dell to send a few final e-mails and it crashed. She punched the LCD, went straight out and got an Apple. She's even taking classes at the Apple store because she's never used a Mac.

I love HPs so I stick with them for personal machines, but since I'm not paying for my work computers I'm not complaining! The 20" iMac seems HUGE, and look at it next to the 21" Dell widescreen. I can't imagine the 24".... I have had some trouble with it and had to reinstall the OS once already but at least it got messed up right away so I didn't really have much to backup.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:17 AM
Dude, all I want is a nano with at least 20 gigs. Then I'll actually carry my ipod around with me.

As if right on time, the battery in my U2 3G ipod is starting to suck.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
keep waiting!
I am.

These new products are supposed to be announced once the current "Back To School" promo (That gives you a free iPod Nano) is over. This ends in mid September.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

I want the iPod touch, but not for $400. I don't care how many gigs either. I have a 30GB ipod and it's not even close to full.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

The rumour is that a 60+GB for $199 is in the works.....iTouch.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Old 08-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #13
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
Fie.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocksU2 View Post
I highly doubt that will happen any time soon. My guess is that the 8GB might get dropped, the 16GB price goes to the 8GB price, and the 32GB goes to the 16GB price.

There's simply no way that Apple can make a 64GB touch for $199. They wouldn't make any money off of it.

Uber, check out Apple's refurbished iPod Touches. I got the 8GB today for $199, and it's gorgeous. Apple has an amazing refurb policy, everything's covered by the 1 year warranty, and you can buy Applecare during that year if you choose. They also replace the outer casings, so the iPod is basically brand new.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:37 PM   #15
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
20" iMac. I got it at work about a month ago. It's my primary work computer now but I also have an enhanced Dell 755 because most of the administrative stuff I do for work can only be done on Windows (Novell). I use a freeware app called Synergy so I only have one keyboard (new iMac one) and one mouse (PC mouse). My screens are side by side and I can slide from one to the other with the same peripherals, just can't drag stuff over b/c it's not a true extended desktop.

You know that Macs can run Windows (XP and Vista) natively now, right?

I'm gonna start saving up for a Macbook Pro. Those things are freaking sweet.

Tags
apple, ipods, macs