New Apple product/updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only bought my phone like less than a year ago.. the iPhone had been out forever already and there was no news of any new ones coming out in the immediate future. It wasnt like (I personally) went out and bought it the second it came out. How they can go from charging $400 to $99 for the same phone is freaking ridiculous.

So I have a 3G, I can do this update? I cant wait for this. Hell if I'm going to buy a whole new phone. :down:
I'm actually kind of pissed, I paid $400 for this phone less than a year ago and now they're going to offer it for $99??? :huh:

The $99 price is for new 2 year contracts only.

You can get the 3.0 update for free on June 17.
- Feature Summary: Gizmodo - iPhone 3.0 OS Guide: Everything You Need to Know - iPhone OS 3.0

As a 3G owner too, I'm excited about the update, but I'm really disappointed that Apple didn't give some features of the iPhone 3G S to iPhone 3G users; first generation iPhone users got every single feature other than 3G (hardware limitation) and still continue to get these features.

Sicy said:
I only bought my phone like less than a year ago.. the iPhone had been out forever already and there was no news of any new ones coming out in the immediate future. It wasnt like (I personally) went out and bought it the second it came out. How they can go from charging $400 to $99 for the same phone is freaking ridiculous.

Were you eligible for an upgrade at the time? If not, then you have to pay a higher price.

While the iPhone 3G S is $199/$299 if you're eligible for an upgrade, it costs $499/$599 if you're not eligible for an upgrade.

Thanks for the info. No at the time I was not eligible for the upgrade because I still had like a year on my contract and I didn't want to wait that long.

All I really freaking want to be able to do is text in landscape. :crack:

btw how will we upgrade? Will it automatically be available when you sync your phone with itunes on that day?

Thanks for the info. No at the time I was not eligible for the upgrade because I still had like a year on my contract and I didn't want to wait that long.

All I really freaking want to be able to do is text in landscape. :crack:

btw how will we upgrade? Will it automatically be available when you sync your phone with itunes on that day?

Yep. Just click "Check For Updates"; it should be up by noon pacific time.

As a 3G owner too, I'm excited about the update, but I'm really disappointed that Apple didn't give some features of the iPhone 3G S to iPhone 3G users; first generation iPhone users got every single feature other than 3G (hardware limitation) and still continue to get these features.

Besides the camera upgrade (which a software update can't provide) what features won't the 3.0 offer to 3G users?

Besides the camera upgrade (which a software update can't provide) what features won't the 3.0 offer to 3G users?

If you're referring to video recording, then Apple could easily enable it with a software update (might be lower in fps, but its definitely do-able [see Cycorder]).

Also, voice control should have been given to 3G users. Those are the two non-hardware features that are exclusive to 3G S and could have easily been given to 3G users.

I was just going to say.. I cant figure out how to MMS?? :scream:

Landscape texting FTW though. :drool:

For copying just hold your finger down on a link and it will ask you what you want to do (copy, etc) Then when you go to paste just hold your finger down wherever you want to paste it and a bubble 'paste' pops up. That's pretty cool.

And the MMS thing makes me wonder...are even the 3GS people with AT&T going to be unable to use MMS? Or is it just us poor saps who have the 3G or 1st generation?

In the US, isn't the iPhone (locked) still exclusive to AT&T? I dunno, makes me think AT&T probably should have got their shit together prior to the update but you know...what do I know?

Ooooh, thanks for the tip on the copy/paste thing, Sicy. I think I got it...going to take some getting used to.

Copy and paste is alright, I guess. Voice memo will be slightly useful. All in all, color me "meh."

I dont really get the voice thing. Is it for leaving yourself voice notes? I just use the notepad thing. Or is it for sending someone a voice message? Why not just call I guess?

I will have to do that.

I also noticed that you can now delete individual texts instead of the whole list.. and you can forward texts too.

Did my update, took a bit longer than I thought it would, but it's great.

MMS works fine for me, although I expect not to use it that much anyway.

When you go to write a text message, there is a little icon on the left hand bottom side that lets you take a photo (or send an existing photo).

I'm not on AT&T though.

Damn. That must be why.

What do you have? Since when does the iphone offer other carriers besides AT&T? :confused:

What do you have? Since when does the iphone offer other carriers besides AT&T? :confused:

I have a Canadian provider, but the interesting thing is that we're actually on the global AT&T network, so seemingly it's only the Americans who are getting screwed at the moment?

"The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple CEO Steve Jobs received a liver transplant about two months ago to treat some ongoing complications from his previous pancreatic cancer:
Steve Jobs, who has been on medical leave from Apple Inc. since January to treat an undisclosed medical condition, received a liver transplant in Tennessee about two months ago. The chief executive has been recovering well and is expected to return to work on schedule later this month, though he may work part-time initially.

The exact source for the information is not provided, though The Wall Street Journal is reporting it as fact and not rumor. They also state that he is recovering well and is expected to return to Apple at the end of June, though may initially return on a part-time basis.

Steve Jobs stepped down as Apple's CEO in January for a medical leave of absence. Jobs had previously been treated and said to have been cured of pancreatic cancer in 2004.

According to experts cited by The Wall Street Journal, the reason for a liver transplant may have been from the spread of the original pancreatic cancer into the liver. The exact cure rate for this particular condition with a liver transplant seems to be up for debate, although five-year survivals for all causes of liver transplant seems to be around the 75% range.

The report adds some validity to previous rumors that Steve Jobs was receiving medical treatment in Memphis, Tennessee. "

This explains the way he looked earlier in the year.
I wish him a prompt recovery.

Has anyone picked up the iPhone 3GS yet? I'm thinking about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom