Need some new cans....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I had some cheaper Sennheiser headphones (HD 205s) that lasted about 2 years, then the sound started crackling and going out, I think b/c of the wiring right where you plug it in broke inside the insulation. I took those things everywhere, plugged/unplugged them constantly so I'm not surprised that happened. Then my aunt gave me $50 to Best Buy for a project I did, but Best Buy didn't have any Sennheisers and the Bose were too expensive so I got these Sony noise-cancelling ones that were OK. However the other day I was working out and all the sudden after this beat, the sound in the right ear is all crackling like it blew or something. They still work for listening to audio books, but any sort of music sounds terrible.

My budget is $75. It looks like Sennheiser or Grado are the best? My Sennheisers were HD205 and I like them except that they always felt really tight on my head, and since I have TMJ it actually hurt my jaw to wear them for extended periods (I run for an hour and I like good cans for extended road trips). I love the confort of the Bose ones I've tried on but they are so expensive.

I'm not too picky about bass and the audiophile stuff, I'm more interested in comfort and hopefully something that doesn't leak a lot of sound since I'll be in a car with 3 other people.

I have the Grado set that run about $90. They're wonderful, and I think they're comfortable, but I wouldn't recommend them for riding in a car - they don't block out any noise, and if you have it loud enough, they can be heard by others sitting nearby.

They're great for being by yourself listening to your music, but not good for traveling, I think.

I'm still concerned about the Sennheiser's fit. I'm looking at a few models and other reviews have mentioned they are "tight". One person even said if you're head is bigger than 21" they are tight and someone measured my head and said it's 22". Because of the TMJ I want to avoid another tight pair. My last pair really bugged me if I was trying to eat a snack and watch a movie on my computer at the same time.

Can anyone vouch for how Grado's fit?

I have the Sennheiser's HD 202. Great headphones. Comfortable, no sound leakage at all, great sound and great bass. They block outside noise really well and best of all, very cheap headphones, for this price, you ain't going to get anything better. Definitely recommend them, Worth checking them out.

PS: I've had mine for a year with no problems at all. And 1 recommendation if you do actually get them... They come very tight as any other new over-the-head headphones, so you might have to leave them stretching for the night. And due to this, maybe at first you won't be able to use them for long periods.

Can anyone vouch for how Grado's fit?

I read a lot of reviews before buying that talked about how they were uncomfortable after a few hours of wearing them.

I don't find them uncomfortable (although I rarely wear them for more than an hour or so at a time), but they do fit kind of loose on my head. If I move my head too sharply, they can slide off my ears a bit. That probably just means I don't have them adjusted correctly, but they're definitely not tight!

Also, I think my head is on the small side. That might make a difference as well.

Well I was totally sold on the Grado SR60s but the more I read about how awesome they are, the more I also read that they have a lot of sound leakage. I like my music pretty loud (especially if the cans are not noise cancelling and we are on the highway) so my mom will be PO'd if I got those. So I guess I will keep looking at the "closed" Sennheisers. My boss has some RS110s (wireless) and the were not near as tight as my HD205s were.

Back
Top Bottom