Need a good, somewhat safe, downloading program

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I had used Limewire on my old computer, but it became riddled with viruses and the same thing's just happened to my mate. So I would like to know if there's any of these programs I can use that is safer than Limewire...

Also, what does vorsprung durch tecnik trasnlate to, and is there a better DVD audio ripping program than ImTOO?

COBL_04 said:
I had used Limewire on my old computer, but it became riddled with viruses and the same thing's just happened to my mate. So I would like to know if there's any of these programs I can use that is safer than Limewire...

Also, what does vorsprung durch tecnik trasnlate to, and is there a better DVD audio ripping program than ImTOO?

I've gone almost fully to torrenting, I don't see the sense in using those bloatware things anymore.

I think ImToo is great, if I want a quick rip I use it only. If I want something more, I use Vegas, but that's a whole video editing suite so likely overkill.

A bunch of people I knew recommended Limewire to me when I had to find a new program after WinMX got killed a couple years ago.
I've never been a fan of it.

I've been told these days torrenting is the way to go. So I recently got utorrent.
It seems user friendly, but other than that I haven't used it enough to really assess it.

Careful with torrent and movies. Paramount just slammed us REALLY hard. Lots of people got shut off...

Well with torrenting you have a few new variables to worry about:

- have viruses been packed into the zip files you are downloading? better scan them good before you extract them

- the files may not be in a format you are familar with, and will require an extra step or two once you've got them to be able to listen to them

- you likely won't find many single songs, mostly albums. This isn't such a bad thing, imo

- and Lies is right, you have to be careful just who/where you grab from, for instance recently BitTorrent was getting alot of 'attention'...I use Azareus, but my son had downloaded BitTorrent without my knowledge and was using it on his computer. I began to recieve cease and desist letters from my ISP which traced back to his BitTorrent use, whereas I've never had a problem with my torrenting, and I do way more. So yep, ya gotta be a bit cautious.

COBL_04 said:
So this torrent stuff is a bit safer? But itsn;t it real complicated to use? And can I download single songs?

I use torrent for video, but never single songs. I use SoulSeek for that and have been for years (6). In that time, I've never got a virus or malicious spyware problem on any of my computers, but my Mac, lol.

SoulSeek and/or Azareus it is:D

And thanks for the info... just one mroe question. What is a good program I can get which can scan the comp and/or files like zip files before I download them?

^ In general, if I can't just d/l the actual file (avi, mp3, divx...) then I'm not even going to mess with zips or other archives or executables. I've yet to d/l a zip that was totally legit (ie, not containing extra junk or worse) and haven't had trouble finding everything I want as a audio or video file.

I don't know much about these things but I have an OLD ass version of the downloading program Ares.....

and it fucking rocks. Never have problems with viruses and I can download pretty much any song whenever I want in about 30 seconds.

It's pretty fast when I download other things, too....:shifty:

"what does vorsprung durch tecnik trasnlate to".

I've wondered about that myself , so I did google German to English .

result (Advantage through technology ).

Back
Top Bottom