My Sons Laptop - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Restart and Reboot Yourself
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #16
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 10:59 AM
What happens when you try starting it up in Safe Mode?

Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:59 AM
I tried it in safe mode, was exact the same as in normal mode...pretty much unresponsive

Id be DELIGHTED if it is a hardware fault, as it means the shop would have to fix/replace it, and save me having to find a small fortune (that i cant spare) for the repair. The more i think about it (the laptops reluctance to install a OS) the more i think it is hardware issue

Old 02-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #18
Galeonbroad

Usually if it's a virus or trojan, it isn't activated in safe mode. So I'd expect a hardware problem.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #19
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Usually if it's a virus or trojan, it isn't activated in safe mode. So I'd expect a hardware problem.
Oh please please please be a hardware issue lol :P
Old 02-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:59 AM
I don't have experience replacing products under warranty through Toshiba (sorry, HATE Satellites!) but I would first boot into the BIOS and see if there are any diagnostic options, like the ability to run a quick or long test of the hard drive from within the BIOS. If not you can download a utility and burn a bootable disc on another computer. I can't remember what brand Toshiba usually uses but the Hitachi Drive Fitness Test utility will work for any drive (it just won't give a specific error code for a non-Hitachi drive). Here is a direct link to download the DFT iso file http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/suppor...2_v416_b00.iso You need to make a bootable disc with that ISO file, put the disc in the laptop, you may need to boot into the BIOS first and change the boot sequence so that it looks for a CD before the internal hard drive, then just follow the prompts. If it asks about ATA/SATA vs. SCSI choose ATA. If it can't even find a hard drive before running the tests then there's your problem right there. If the drive is bad it will either not find it at all, or it will fail the test. Contact Toshiba support. I've replaced many drives and other parts through Dell and HP but I'm not sure how Toshiba handles it. Generally a computer is covered under 1 year manufacturer's warranty, so the store you bought it from will tell you to contact Toshiba first even if you purchased an extended warranty through the store. With Dell and HP I typically go into their support chat, tell the service rep what tests I ran and what errors I got, and then they send a replacement drive with prepaid return postage for the bad drive.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #21
New Yorker

Hello again Liesje. I can kill two birds with one stone here. What do i do when i download an ISO file? Does it need to be converted? I downloaded Ubuntu in an iso file last night. So i tried to burn it to disc...thinking it would work...but i think it just burned as an iso file. so, what exactly do i have to do to make it a bootable disc? Helps appreciated
Old 02-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

You need to burn an bootable disc, not just a data disc with the iso. I don't know if Windows does this natively, I usually use Deep Burner.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #23
New Yorker

You will need to excuse me...but this iso files are new to me. I downloaded Deep Burner (Free) version. So, how do i make a "bootable" cd? As i say...when i tried to make one last night...all i eneded up doing was burning the iso file on to a cd...and thats not what i want to be doing i think?
So...how would i go about doing it in Deep Burner?

*****UPDATE*****

OK....i understand 90% of how to create the bootable disc with Deep burner. Problem is...in the tutorial, when it comes to slecting "boot" in the tutorial, it suggests the file you burn is an .ima file...where as the file i want to make a bootable disc of is .iso

Do i need to convert the iso file to ima?
Old 02-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

No it should burn isos, at least the version I have does (I burn isos probably once a week at work). I pop in the disc, load the program, select Burn Iso Image for the project type, click the little [...] button to the right of the Image File field and browse to the iso file, then click Burn ISO.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #25
New Yorker

OK...im guessing the free version wont allow me to burn iso file. It lets me choose to burn iso file.....it allows me to selet the iso file....but then when i pop a blank cd in....the "select speed" doesnt highlight and it wont allow me to do anything else.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Hmmm, I've only ever used the free version. There are probably other freewares that burn ISOs though, that's just the one I've always used.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #27
New Yorker

Oh...just my luck then. This is how it typically goes for me. Which aint good when you suffer from stress,nerve and anxiety disorders lol

I found a tutorial on youtube...so i have followed that. Im in the process of burning the disc now. Fingers crossed it will work
Old 02-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #28
New Yorker

YAY....i got Ubuntu installed on lewis's laptop....and everything seems to be working fine. Much thanks to those who helped. It was appreciated

Iam however, having trouble getting Google chrome to install now
Old 02-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #29
New Yorker

Well....after i updated everything on Ubuntu, google chrome worked fine. So lewis is upstairs trying out life without Windows 7. To be honest...all he mainly does is surf the net, so i dont think hes going to notice much difference. So, all in all, after letting myself get UBER stressed out, all is well again with his laptop, and im one happy man!
Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 AM   #30
Galeonbroad

Hm, that's quite peculiar. So it was a software problem/trojan after all.

If your son experiences trouble, you could always get an ISO of Windows 7 from the web. Since it came with your laptop, you have a valid license code, and it is thus legal to download and install it.